Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209524 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2009, 04:48:08 pm »

My melee combat is at 5, with the requisite basic skills.  Unarmed is at 1, but I don't know why that would matter, since I'm attacking with my stone axe.
that just might be your problem. i would reccomend training up to swordsman, getting a sword, and fighting with that.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 31, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »

It is so undwarven that axes are horrible.  Alas.

But why would I be missing ALL THE TIME, except against things that don't fight back?  o.O

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2009, 04:52:13 pm »

I am up to melee combat 10, and I still miss a large portion of the time vs cows.  I dont even try foxes since I lack any sort of armor and they tear through me before I can even swing twice. 

I saw someone quote the following before taking on foxes or boars in circle 0

8 melee skill
metal armor
sword.
shield (and block style)

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 31, 2009, 04:54:20 pm »

on a related note, does anyone know if there is any relativley easy to aquire food that gives str.  my con is getting pretty high from cow, and my agi is increasing a bit from rabbit, but my str is still stuck at 10

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »

what? you can gain stats from eating stuff? how do you cook stuff with a fire anyway? do you have to do something with the fire besides lighting it?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

NNNNOOOOOO!!!! both the DNS and server are down now :(

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2009, 05:00:29 pm »

We got the (game server, not web server, if they're on different IPs) IP, a friend attempted to log on with it, and the server immediately crashed. Blargh. Of course, it COULD have been a coincidence... But we're going to blame it on him. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »

8 melee skill
metal armor
sword.
shield (and block style)

Wow, that's pretty hefty for things that supposedly just have 2 skill in unarmed...

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2009, 05:01:26 pm »

read the char sheet entry on the how do I forums once it comes back up, it explains how the stats increase.

and yeah, you right click on the fire, then go to your craft menu and select roast meat.  It will just pick a meat to roast, you do not specify.

Sausage is really where it is at though from what I can tell.  3 basic sausages  = 1 stat increase. (I make the Tame (something) Liverwurst and the Cow Chorizo)

On an unrelated note.  The server appears to have gone down down.  (just as my apple pies finished, I hope there will be no rollback)

EDIT: for the sake of a more immediate answer since everything is down. 

Every time you eat a food it both has a stat (or stats) associated with it, and an amount of "fill"  It then fills the little bar on your char sheet with that stat.  Once the bar fills up completely, it selects one stat to increase the % chance for each stat to increase is based on how much of the bar was filled with it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:10:52 pm by Milaha »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2009, 05:03:46 pm »

i definitely agree...as for acquiring the ip and all...you may have crashed the server due to either a security issue or simply by the fact that the DNS is still down and therefore the site is still not functional unless you can get the IP info for every page...which wouldn't be able to update without a functioning DNS since every time you refresh or open a page it pings the DNS.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2009, 05:05:28 pm »

The system should be a bit more robust than "attempt to log in with IP instead of hostname to crash server," if that's what happened, methinks...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2009, 05:07:38 pm »

read the char sheet entry on the how do I forums once it comes back up, it explains how the stats increase.

You'll have to link me to it, because I don't see such a thing.  Wait, is it the "Food stuff" one?  I'm using offline viewing to look at pages I looked at on the forum, but that waasn't one of them.

And I'm still confused about what that purple bar was that is no longer filling up, or is that related?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2009, 05:11:16 pm »

well its not the servers fault...the DNS works both ways...converts addresses into IP's AND it converts IP's into addresses to be sent back to the user...so the DNS is down....so its all down regardless

P.S. is anyone an electrician or something....i need there power back on so i can continue improving my lovely estate :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:15:26 pm by dennislp3 »

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

The thread in question was a sticky posted today, so your offline viewer might not have it.  I edited my previous post with some more detail though.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 31, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »

(Note: when he tried to connect, it wasn't by using the hosts file, it was by replacing the server url with its IP in the jnlp)

I've modified my hosts file now to include this:
213.101.208.103 www.havenandhearth.com
213.101.208.103 havenandhearth.com
213.101.208.103 sh.seatribe.se

Although I don't recall seeing the site URL without www. on it, I put it in there anyways. The server is still down, but the website is working and the JNLP worked, and I got to the login screen and it tried to connect (and it concluded the server was down).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 171