Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209734 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #885 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »

Is 6 unarmed and 6 melee good enough for fox slaying in ring 3? I'd like to keep them away from the small herd of sheep and cows that I have, but I don't want to risk myself.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

shockedfrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 05, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »

Thank you, PTTG, for recognising that it's a game, and I am using a somewhat limited form of RP, as are a number of others. Malicus - I understand what you mean, that's part of the complications (which I've discussed in more detail below) and perhaps requires an official word on the subject. I think it may clear things up a bit if I explain that I use 'RP' in this sense to refer to the acceptable actions of a player in an RPG - something that must apply to everyone, otherwise there would be no game at all -  and not so much about the hardcore RPing sense where the character and player are far more separate.

Detrevni - Thank you, as well, for taking it on as a challenge. I wouldn't say I'm not successful (at least, I do well in some areas), but there is definitely a little jealousy involved, good call. Not going to work? Maybe, maybe not. I look forward to however the game may go.

No, Errol, I wouldn't do something like this in real life, for many reasons. I would rather not go into a full rant here, though I may discuss it privately with someone who feels the need to know, but the summary of it would be that I am very happy with my place in life right now. Now, let's forget about RL and focus on the game. My character's place in life is at the top. He wants to be great. He's probably not going to be loved, but he can be strong, and maybe respected, even if only out of fear.

This is such an issue because of the confusing connection between character and player. For example, the whole reincarnation thing. I've apologized for using an alt whose existence clearly did not fit in a roleplaying way. A new character inherits stats from the old one, and I think it's fair to choose to inherit the old character's social aspects too (friends and enemies, personality traits, aims, etc.) even if these only truly exist in the mind of the player. Other external features affect things too. Some of you use an IRC channel and maybe other forms of communication that enable you to work together in a way that would require a lot more effort or be impossible using purely in-game means. Hell, your entire community in-game exists as a result of knowing each other from this forum - imagine if you'd all started the game without this connection, how many of you would have ever met? Now, if I declared you should all be forced to separate because of this, you'd think I was mad! Yet it seems that because my aims may be influenced by similar things, I'm nothing but scum to you. I take offence to being called a troll. It is clear that my presence here causes trouble, but it's not my aim to do so. The trouble being caused may be due to me not being a particularly good communicator and/or because of you being unwilling to try and understand my point of view,but neither changes the fact that I, honestly, am trying to settle things here.

As for that village by the sea, I am not particularly impressed with their efforts so far. They aren't worth my time, but I wish them luck in proving me wrong in the future.

(Some of this post may appear to contradict itself due to the confusing usage of the whole RP/player/character thing. If this is the case, please ask me to clarify something rather than using it as an opportunity to attack me.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:28:06 pm by shockedfrog »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:42 pm »

since you're metagaming to avoid consequences i can only say :

youre so full of it  ;D (and so is that wall of text)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:40:31 pm by Puck »

Vahan

« Reply #888 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:50 pm »

Pretty much what he said. Times two.

In the mouth.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 05, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

you want to rp? fine. lets rp. MY character is a hunter whose village has been wronged by an individual who wishes to be at the top and respected even if out of fear. my character has set out on a quest to take vengeance on this individual who destroyed his villages lumber supply defaced their metal industry and rid the village of one of its permanent food supply. have fun with my characters hunt for the one known as shockedfrog.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:02 pm »

Pretty much what he said. Times two.

In the mouth.

Pretty much what I said preemptively, too.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:47 pm »

Tldr; you're full of bullshit shockedfrog. Your just jealous because we're friends and your lonely. GTFO our forums, trollbag.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 05, 2009, 01:50:13 pm »

i would like that his justification of his actions means WE are justified in any in game action taken against him. something to keep in mind
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:00 pm »

You're trying to settle a dispute caused by you stealing our things, impeding progress and generally being an asshat? You're annoyed because we can't see things from your point of view when you're doing this?

Hmm.
Doesn't quite work like that.

I can see you try to take the moral high ground by rectifying the situation wherein you used an alt to grief, but that still doesn't change the fact that you griefed, whatever character you're using. You're essentially only a nuisance, and when we spend literally hours trying to do stuff (The crucibles. It's a 52 hour process that must be watched over constantly.), only to have it fucked up by one guy who's jealous of our success, I think it's clear as to why we're ticked off.

In closing: Although it's not against the rules to be a dick, you're still being a dick nonetheless. You can't expect us to go "Oh hey, well it IS part of the game. What can we do?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:56:43 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 05, 2009, 01:55:00 pm »

crucibles are for steel, right?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 05, 2009, 01:57:49 pm »

shockedfrog, someday you're going to look back and say "Huh.  That was a total waste of my life.  I could have been doing something productive, learning a new language or instrument, doing community service, making my own games, or working out.  Instead, I played a game to make other people fail."

You won't realize it soon, but it'll happen.  Of course, you won't say "hey, that Sowelu guy was right", either, you'll just think I was annoying and sticking my nose in your business when I don't even play the game.

But it'll happen.  :D  Every single hour wasted is an hour you won't get back.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vahan

« Reply #896 on: June 05, 2009, 02:07:15 pm »

crucibles are for steel, right?

Yes.

We'd also almost finished the first batch.

shockedfrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:30 pm »

I'm not playing it to 'make other people fail.' Without that distinction, the same thing can be said of everyone who's playing. I'd argue that I might be the least affected, since this whole thing is teaching me a lot about dealing with potential exploits in a game with some similarities that I might be making in the future, though I am kinda hopeful that this will end up good enough that I never actually need to go through all that work. :)

I can understand why you're all a bit irritated, of course (I would be too) but I just try to keep things civil and don't let things spill out to RL like they seem to be.

Oh, and my point was, isn't everyone here 'metagaming'?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:06 pm »

Yes, you are playing to make people fail.  I'm really not sure what your cognitive-dissonance is, here.  This game isn't like Monopoly.  It's not zero-sum, and most people don't see "other people lose" as a condition for success.  It's possible for everyone to win.  Just like in the real world.

Of course, if you think that you have to hurt other people in the real world in order to win, that would explain a lot.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »

I decided to play after all and all I can say is HOLY SHIT! How is it that replaceable trees are still not in the game?   ???

I feel so horrible every time I chop down a tree, and for each log I chop into blocks I know that there is going to be one less person able to find a place to settle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:17:28 pm by debvon »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 171