Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209646 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #780 on: June 03, 2009, 06:27:01 pm »

Awww man. All this reasonable discourse... I wanted rivals!

But yeah. Plenty of room right now. And given that room, there probably won't be any compunctions against driving potential enemies off with violence. I'm just wondering why Shocked went out there in the first place.

shockedfrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 03, 2009, 06:35:39 pm »

Anyone in the same world is a rival as far as my aims go :)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 03, 2009, 07:18:43 pm »

Don't you think that's a bit sociopathic?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 03, 2009, 07:22:12 pm »

Depends on what the aims are.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #784 on: June 03, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »

Hey, is my yeomanry zone causeing any trouble?  I didnt realize how much traffic would be going throught there when I dropped it.  I can move if it is, just let me know.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 03, 2009, 08:26:02 pm »

How do you kill chickens and stuff?

And I'm moving down there once I get enough skills.
Thinking of becoming hunter/militia.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »

You need combat skills to be able to even fight back against things, but I forget exactly which ones.  Anyway, chickens aren't really fully implemented right now, so they're pretty useless to kill or otherwise.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:08 pm »

who thinks i should make a sign that tells of the amount of fuel required to make pastries in the oven?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »

I do. I haven't figured the exact amount yet, so it'd be useful to me at least.

BTW, anyone figured out how to use hops? I can't put them on the herbalist table to dry, and there's no beer recipe in any menu (I got all skills except murder, trespassing, yeomanry and steelmaking).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 03, 2009, 08:59:56 pm »

How do you guys get the LP to gain skills, seriously.
Making 10k wicker baskets is really getting boring.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:59 pm »

If you buy hearth magic, you can make dreamcatchers. You need two sticks and a piece of yarn to make a dreamcatcher, but you can add the two sticks and hit build, and it will give you a ton of experience. Then you can destroy it.

It's a little easier than grinding baskets and makes less of a mess.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #791 on: June 03, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »

My prefered way -
First, set your belief to peace and civ -- that way you get more xp from everything.  you can changeit back later
Then get pottry.  Dig 10 spaces of clay, build an urn.  repeat
each space of digging gives 5xp, the urn 10, total 60 xp
more if you up your peace and civ
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 03, 2009, 11:27:53 pm »

I got quite a bit accomplished tonight. I finished making the rest of the crucibles, but I didn't fill anymore up. Luck just wasn't with me when processing the blooms. But, the finery is full of cast iron bars, and the basket behind the forge has five bars. Two of the smelters are full and smelting.

I've also made four straw baskets for holding branches to fuel the crucibles, which brings me to the.

IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

In order to make steel the crucibles have to be kept lit for 52 hours.

They have enough fuel to stay lit for 12 hours before going out. Do not let this happen. If they go out, it starts all over.

It is very important that everyone in Bottleneck check the crucibles every few hours and top them off with branches. There is an apple tree 10 seconds journey along the path south of the crucibles. It should only take a minute to fill up on branches and pop one in each crucible.

Thank you.

I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:12 pm »

dj, according to yanlin it takes 4 branches to power the ovens.
EDIT: vucar, you forgot the G. I. JOOOOOOOOEEEEE
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:47:47 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 03, 2009, 11:50:49 pm »

Where is the nearby mine (and forging opperations)?

So far I'm occupying myself with two things.

One, taking on my Grinding Project ten or twenty baskets at a time.

Two, making bread now. Or that's what I intend to do. If I have it my way, I would try and fill up a few of those baskets with bread.

I also follow the harvest guidelines and replant one of two wheat seeds so that our fields are always full and growing.

I have pretty much all important industrious skills to help growth besides Steel Making. Yeomanry at this moment, as I have little that I can't keep in my inventory for safe keeping, is low priority for me right now.

On the topic of Yeomanry.

Yeomanry should only be used, most importantly when were working as a community, to surround your cabin, and perhaps a few spaces out word for private operations. Do not, please, expand past a very unneeded amount of space, because it takes up room.

At somepoint, Bottleneck will be a crowded and busy place, and we can't have land claims taking up most of it. Private operations of the metal or baking variety requiring a oven or smelter should be handled with the communities own operation areas (Unless its busy and all smelters, kilns, and ovens are taken up) and guarded with your own deadly force.

To extend this IMPORTANT PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT, on the topic of defense. Currently, the only cooperative and organized defense is what our hunters are accomplishing against foxes and boars. Single criminals can be handled according to what citizens deem worthy of whatever crime they commit. The urgency of the crime will most probably be the sentence of the punishment, be it a beating, something more complicated like being exiled, or worse case, death. So far no guard force needs to be created, which is what this announcement is about.

Once you have all the important skills you need that pertain to the community or private operations your undertaking, you should focus any grinding to combat oriented things. Every citizen should have the ability to defend themselves, and their friends.

Its important to show people that it wouldn't be wise to pick a fight with us.

Now I understand the implications of a justice system, and quite frankly, I shouldn't be in charge of it even as a possibility. I'm far to harsh a person to be left in the hands of matters regarding less crucial crimes. Beatings and Death would be my antidote to most everything, and that's not the reputation we need. However, I'm more than willing to induce my own batch of an ass whooping to people who deserve it, like treegriefers and thieves.

Anyone willing to risk their life to take hard made things such as metal products and such should be prepared to pay with a beating at the least, as I think you can take back things from beaten people. Continuation of that crime should of course lead to Death, which by the way, Murder is an important skill to invest in at the moment, to ensure that people know we can dish out serious punishment if need be.

I think we'll be a damn fine community in this game, and I'd hate to see anyone at all trying to impede our progress, for whatever reason.

If you take it upon yourself to engage in criminal activities or organize a group for war against Bottleneck, attention all.

Be prepared to pay with your lives. For Armok! Blood For The Blood God!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 171