Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209644 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #765 on: June 03, 2009, 04:13:34 pm »

I want to slash landcarp and bad guys in the FACE though.

To shocked frog, you have made your intent known now.

If you really do seriously want to hamper our production in such ways, and accusing us in the forethought as a threat, you too are a threat to our own growth.

Continue with such an intent and you will face collective wrath.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:18:29 pm by WorkerDrone »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »

Alright, after today I got a few ideas about the town:

1. Food processing needs to be optimized. And understood by all. I'll likely make a chart of the various stockpiles involved later, but understand we just need more farms. If we have enough farms to keep a farmer busy for a good ten minutes of nonstop farming, then we are doing good.
 2. Foxes and boars seem to completely stop all activity. Unless there happens to be a hunter nearby, they can stop our food industry. I propose a wall of sorts. It will be costly, but with it up we can funnel wildlife to the two or three entrances to the town.
 3. Paths need to be at least two wide. We must enforce this, or else massive traffic jams result.

2. A wall really wouldn't do much good. Most of the problems with wildlife are caused by foxes or boar spawning inside the town, not by animals wandering in.

3. I think three wide would be better, more symmetrical. Of course, I always make hallways three wide in DF.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:00 pm »

While I've performed a few silly pranks (like swapping runestones around) and I've stolen some stuff from, well, everywhere (though I can promise that if someone has taken stuff from your place since that time, Malicus, I am not the culprit) I don't think I've done anything truly assholish (depends on the definition, of course - i'm using the horribly vague 'doing things not in the spirit of the game') until this, and it's because of the way it was done and not because of the action itself that I'm sorry about it. Keep in mind that you guys - and I mean this with great respect - are a threat, not an active one to my life but one that would make it difficult to compete in any area of the game. I believe that sabotage under normal circumstances (that is, not using an expendable alt) for the purposes of slowing down your development to allow myself the chance to catch up is a perfectly legitimate tactic and one you should be prepared to defend against/cope with.

I should point out that, having punished myself through a permadeath that I feel counteracts any advantage I may have gained from my actions, I have now changed my main's name for (at least temporary) protection, since i'm not too keen on getting beat up by people who are getting crazy LP from stuck bears and will probably have a 100% hit rate on me. I consider this reasonable, as I feel reincarnation should mean a chance to avoid the mistakes of previous lives. I know that you guys are capable of coping with the effects for now and hope that your loss can be replaced in the not too far future, and I look forward to our future interactions, whatever form they may take.

A mature response true enough, and I'm grateful that you went through the effort to explain everything.
But why would you want to impede progress just to 'catch up'? You could've like, joined us or something.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 03, 2009, 04:49:43 pm »

Trying to get into this, but the file is a .psp which I haveth no means to openeth. Help me please...eth.

A...  .psp?  How are you finding THAT?  o.O

When I click login it sends me a file called autohaven. It somehow is a .psp which is apparently a corrupted registry indicator. Having fixed all my registry errors with RegCure, I can only assume this is some sort of mistake.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 03, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »

out of curiosity, what are you guy's personal beliefs so far? also, what buildings use steel?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:17:15 pm by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 03, 2009, 05:10:03 pm »

Trying to get into this, but the file is a .psp which I haveth no means to openeth. Help me please...eth.
A...  .psp?  How are you finding THAT?  o.O

When I click login it sends me a file called autohaven. It somehow is a .psp which is apparently a corrupted registry indicator. Having fixed all my registry errors with RegCure, I can only assume this is some sort of mistake.

The "play" button uses a file named autohaven.jlnp, but a .psp?  That's ODD.  Maybe you should go ask on the forums there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:17:18 pm by Malicus »

neudialect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 03, 2009, 05:16:14 pm »

Just use IE, it spits that out in Opera AFAIK

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »

That might be it. I hate IE so much though. It won't let me change my default site and the default takes 10+ minutes to load.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

shockedfrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2009, 05:24:43 pm »

There are various reasons why I wouldn't have joined. The most obvious one would be that I'd already got on Malicus' bad side. :) Even without that I'm not sure I'd feel all that welcome, more like an outsider, and even if that wasn't the case, I think I'd feel a lack of the opportunities as an individual that I crave, just someone doing jobs that might as well be done by a bot (who would probably also have a warmer, more friendly attitude towards everything) and with no kind of future to look forward to I'd end up just disappearing, which would be a waste of a rare kind of game I've been waiting probably 7 years for.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 03, 2009, 05:39:31 pm »

Then move north. The long walk would pretty much deter us from ever reaching you. The success of one does not hamper the success of another in such a large game. Even if it did, half the map away would be distance enough to negate any such effects. Know while we shall not hate you personally, we shall deal with any and all attempts to take us down, no matter how small with an appropriate response. Weather it be something mild like a single attack or drastic like death, the choice of your fate is up to you.

As for walls, I found the largest problem with wildlife is people wandering off and running back to the town for safety. Walls would stop this from happening and keep our ranged hunters safe while the wildlife try fruitlessly to assault us. As for spawning, it accounts for very few actual creature encounters in the context of them appearing within the town.

Two wide should be a minimum. Three wide should be for the main north-south road, but with all the constructions around it we might have to wait for destruction code to come in before we can make such a road.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:17 pm »

That might be it. I hate IE so much though. It won't let me change my default site and the default takes 10+ minutes to load.

Sounds like you need a malware scanner.  o_o
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 03, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

Better yet, we should wait until we have the actual ability to make a palisade and gates.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 03, 2009, 05:51:56 pm »

Anyone else experience the weird bug I'm having? Two times out of three, when I load up the game, I get nothing but the interface, over a black background with a sign saying "loading". I can move, so it seems, but I don't see anything, not even the minimap. Quite frustrating.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 03, 2009, 06:00:47 pm »

So I played this a few days ago, did some things, didn't think much of it.  But then I saw how this topic exploded, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I'm now wandering around in the wilderness completely lost.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 03, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »

Just try to navigate through the map towards the lake north of Bottleneck. Go speed two or three for most of it, and if any foxes catch you go top speed and try to get them caught behind trees, stumps or ridges.

The halfway house is stocked with apples and dream catchers, so be sure to place a hearth fire there so you can spawn there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 171