Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209396 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #555 on: May 31, 2009, 11:07:45 pm »

You know, it figures that it crashes when I finally get around to mining and working on making iron.  Always.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 31, 2009, 11:12:25 pm »

If your lucky you can get lots of iron from the crashes.

I had a load smelting a while back and the game crashed, when I came back online rather than being smelting it was finished and I got a few bars, logged out and back in with them in my inventory only to have the game crash again a little later, when I came back online after that there was more iron waiting for me, the same batch I think.

But yeah I've also lost lots through crashes as well...
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 31, 2009, 11:16:55 pm »

yeah, that crash was perfectly timed,  had just pulled out my iron to go make chainmail (and I loged out to get away from a fox just outside my house)  log back in, server crash.  my logout saved the char with iron in bag, and it appeared in the urn again as well.  Now just 1 iron short of plate lol.

EDIT: Correction, I have enough iron to make plate.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:19:22 pm by Milaha »

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #558 on: May 31, 2009, 11:27:54 pm »

Just killed my first cow.  Those things are tough!
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 31, 2009, 11:41:12 pm »

REMOVED, I missed a post.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:52:16 pm by Milaha »

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 31, 2009, 11:49:08 pm »

http://www.quakenet.org/
Left panel: click "webchat"
enter any name
enter channel "DFHH"

This had about 5 people in it as of 10 minutes ago. I think quakenet is the official B12 haven irc for now.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:47 pm »

then never mind.  Is there a non-webchat version?

EDIT:  irc.quakenet.org works in case anyone does not want to use webchat.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:55:15 pm by Milaha »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 01, 2009, 12:00:19 am »

Uh oh, Mali has a full smelter of ore!  Time to crash!  *grumble*

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 01, 2009, 12:05:02 am »

Why not have it on the same IRC network that the actual #bay12games IRC channel is on? (which isn't worldirc either; worldirc is terrible)

(That would be irc.newnet.net)

Thank goodness I saved my character with :lo right after replacing my bow and arrows for the second time, this time...

Come to think of it I'll probably have lost all the buckets I made (and the milk in them) as a result, though, since I put them in containers right before making the bow...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:11:30 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:33 am »

Have now equipped myself in plate armor, the fox in rings 0 and 1 can not harm me (at all) (I have not moved farther out yet) however with a sword and melee skill at 10 I only land hits on the fox in ring 1 about 1/10 or worse times,  Fox in ring 0 can be killed relatively easily at this skill. I run out of stam before they go down in ring 1 though. 

EDIT: just had my leather complete finaly. 

Backpack adds 2 full columns to your inventory size.  Shields cause the fox to miss me about as much as I miss them, tho I still run out of stam before taking them down in ring 1.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:36:32 am by Milaha »

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 01, 2009, 01:27:45 am »

To hit more in combat I suggest the following:
use an ability that gives you either combat advantage (scales tipping) or initiative. (no pain no gain can do this)
alternate between "sidestep" and "press the advantage" to build up both lots of initiative and combat advantage.
use valorous strike to get an extremely high chance of hitting a larger than normal amount of damage.
rinse and repeat.

I was able to deal decent damage to a trapped fox using that method (although I ran out of stamina pretty fast)

In general I think it's advisable to take on foxes in groups rather than alone.  Maybe fit out your community members with bows and arrows (only one of you needs to get archery to make the equipment, everyone else only needs hunting

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2009, 01:36:47 am »

Cripes, when did this topic balloon to 12 pages? Is this game as fun as the posts might suggest?

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2009, 02:09:48 am »

Cripes, when did this topic balloon to 12 pages? Is this game as fun as the posts might suggest?

38 pages according to my client.

It's not so much that it's fun right now, as there's a lot of potential and it's got a lot of the sandbox and world building elements that draw us to dwarf fortress.
We've only just discovered it, so we're excitedly discovering things, and the guys who built the game seem really friendly and eager to take it places.

Personally, I find it more engaging than fun

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #568 on: June 01, 2009, 02:11:33 am »

23 pages for me.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:54 am »

Just got to the first colony and grinding, what skill should I get first?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 171