Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209597 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #405 on: May 31, 2009, 03:42:51 am »

I didnt realise it was u or i would have left you be...i knew where the dwarf fortress colony was but i was skeptical at first that it would fizzle out....im sorry for underestimating our dedicated-to-kickass-games group we have here ;D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 31, 2009, 04:55:03 am »

I heard about this in the anywherebb IRC first, and only then found out that you guys had a colony (or colonies) too, so I'm already in their village (it sounds like you've got a bit of a landcarp problem anyhow), but if you want to go somewhere nice, I hear ring 3 has foxes/wolves/something that aggro about 50% of the time, and on lower-numbered rings I think they're not supposed to aggro at all unless you get really close to them or attack them. Ring 2 and 3 should still be fairly far from the start.

Of course, I'm not 100% sure which ring 3 is. I *think* the circle in the center is ring 0. Your old camp is midway through it, and your camp in landcarpville would be in ring *7*... Ring 8 would then be the last ring before Mordor.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2009, 05:15:05 am »

Heh.  Perfect.  We built the outpost in a terrifying zone!  Always my favorite pick!
As for the fence, we should just build wicker pots in a ring around it.  We can lift and drop to enter and leave, but the foxes cant!  Wicker basket spamming for a good purpose!
Edit --
sorry, this was two pages late.  Its amazing what can happen to a thread when you go to work!
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2009, 05:34:33 am »

Ok, sorry about the last post.  Ive gone back and read everypost since I went to work, and here is what I think-

I dont mind the challenge of the bottleneck, but I would like to stay in a village.  So Im going to stay unless the majority of people decide they want to leave, and if I leave it is only on the condition that we agree to return with a fox-conquering vengeance and RECLAIM the FORTRESS! err...bottleneck.

So...if we do want to relocate to a safer ring, Ive scouted out a place that has everything we need but water.  Not that we need water, but I have the feeling we will be able to do some neat things with it in the future.  Like flooding  mineshafts, maybe.  Im good at that.

If you look at the world map, find the spot marked Karin.  Its at the south-east edge of a forest.  northwest of the forest is a desert with infinite clay.  Just north west of that is another forest.  anywhere in this area would give us our resources, and we could choose our level of difficulty...ring 3, 4, or 5
SO whats the verdict? stay? go near Karins fortress? go elsewhere?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:54 am »

Hey, where exactly on the map is the new settlement?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 31, 2009, 08:18:14 am »

Once everyone decides on a spot to migrate to, could the map be posted with a new blob to indicate the new village location? There are still quite a few people at the old outpost, unsure of whether they're all bay12ers or not.

Also, how do you bring up the chat log? Whenever someone speaks I tend to miss it due to a window being over it or whatever, and as soon as I move it out the way it disappears.

Edit:
How do you plant things? I have a bunch of wheat seeds and now the farming skill, but all I can do is plough fields.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:46:58 am by Detrevni|inverteD »

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 31, 2009, 09:16:36 am »

You need to hold the seeds (like you're moving them around in your inventory) and then right click the plowed ground.

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 31, 2009, 09:50:18 am »

Well my area is very short on trees, but I now have all the basic tools up (anything that does not need metal)  It is planted near a swamp, and I get cows wandering by every now and then.  I do have the occasional fox aggro, I seem to be on the border of where they get aggressive, so far it has not been much of a problem as they wander away quickly and are fairly easy to avoid.

If you care to join me, I am W by SW of Brodgar, pretty much halfway between Kaka and Jorb, right next to the cliff.  I can mark it on a map if anyone is actually interested in moving.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 31, 2009, 09:51:47 am »

Signing up right now.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:23 am »

I dunno guys, ive played almost 4 hours in the bottleneck.  Things are moving along well and there was only 1 mauling near the village.  found a wheat source, added two settlers...its looking good in ring 7!
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 31, 2009, 10:08:15 am »

OK, I've moved to the bottleneck and I've setup a communal stockpile there. Basically, if you've got extra stuff that might be useful to others, drop it there so they can take it. I've kicked it off with some flax and wheat seeds. Don't fill it with wicker baskets, though, everyone's got more of these than they can use.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 31, 2009, 10:14:04 am »

I've got a homestead NW of the bottleneck a ways.  My house is technically in ring 6, but most of my foraging has been in ring 7.  It's very doable, and sheep are plentiful.  Eating's good out in the wilderness.  Fox agro has been light today, but yesterday it was a little rough.

EDIT:  I think I can make another dream delivery once I'm back in the neighborhood.  Right now I'm smelting ore.  3 metal is all I need, 7 is all I could use.  Come on luck, don't fail me today!  And I only got 1 in my first batch of ore...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:16:55 am by Cerej »

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:46 am »

Yeah, I think id really like to stick around Bottleneck.  Its hard, but hey.  Losing is fun!
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:47 am »

Can you use the flax seeds for anything? cant plant them though.
Considering theres nothing but foxes can threathen you and well soon run out of stuff to do, ring 7 sounds lethaly and dwarvenly fun/stubborn.
i would still request a map so the foxes dont have to hurt me more than neccesary.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24:04 am »

Be warned that the ring where the far south settlement is is basically a terrifying biome.  Foxes attack quickly and powerfully, and to us, they're as invincible as wagons.  I, personally, am getting back to the first settlement to develop myself as soon as I can.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 171