Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209613 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #360 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:13 am »

*sigh* me and malicus have bows now. we're trying to do something about the foxes.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:43 am »

Yeah, If you could kill the fox that is agroe-ing me, then I could log out.

I'm gonna starve soon.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:43 am »

you can log out by just closing the window it's in you know. and you don't get hungry while logged out i think.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2009, 12:06:16 am »

you can log out by just closing the window it's in you know. and you don't get hungry while logged out i think.

You can't log out if you are being attacked by something.

Fine, I give up. I am going to close the game window, and hope that, when I come back tomorrow, I will still be alive.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:09:50 am by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2009, 12:10:52 am »

We...  probably should move back to the OLD camp.  According to a post on the forum, it would seem that the foxes here are WAAAY too strong for us now.  They're not as strong back where we were.  We should move BACK to our old colony.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2009, 12:19:12 am »

Yeah. I think we've tried everything.

- Leading them off ended up being useless, as a storm more would always arrive.

- Hand to hand gets us massacred. Hit and runs were fruitless, and standup was suicidal.

- Bows would work great, using the cliffs to block the foxes... But we can't hit them. At all. If there were some kind of high-accuracy called shot we could do something, but as it is...

- Bunny slippers are gonna take till tomorrow, and all that'd let us do is run from one house to another really fast to avoid the foxes.

- And, of course, as we lack a mine, we can't do the tried-and-true dwarven holeup. We'd need food, anyhow.

- Not to mention, suspicion is that the rings denote difficulty increases. If so, we're out of our league by a good deal.

So, overall, I think all we can do from here is evacuate.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2009, 12:25:34 am »

Yes, the rings do indicate difficulty increases.  I wish you all luck in relocating; although I may need it more.  For I yield to no nature!  I have claimed my parcel of land, and I will defend it unto permadeath!  I will have the blood of the foxes to quench my thirst for vengeance.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2009, 12:28:09 am »

We're two rings away from where jorb says the foxes have 50 unarmed combat level.  We should FLEE.  We can attempt to reclaim it later.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:22 am »

You should retreat back and train your fighting skills up as quickly as possible.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 31, 2009, 12:47:37 am »

I met only one fox down there and he could only do one damage at a time and only sometimes but I couldn't hit him back so I ran for the hills.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2009, 12:50:35 am »

Quote from: jorb (dev on the forum)
Please be advised that creatures become progressively more dangerous the further away you get from the Ring of Brodgar, where you start the game. The circles on the map indicate creature levels. Foxes in the circle immediately surrounding the RoB ("Brodgar") have an unarmed combat skill value of about 2, foxes in the red zone (Colloquially referred to as "Mordor") have about 50. Foxes become aggressive at level three, and more likely to attack the higher their level. I would suggest gaining some combat skills before venturing off into the wilderness.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2009, 12:53:46 am »

So where are we putting the new colony?

It should have uncut trees, clay in a manageable distance, and water.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2009, 12:55:33 am »

Alright. Chances are, at that distance, we'll all need to be our own standing militia. Strangle should help a bit, as from what I can tell, each combatant in a group fight has their own intensity scale, and as Strangle is a high-accuracy, high-drain move for decent damage, we should be able to mob things higher than ourselves, at least to a point. Armor would help here, as the foxes seem to dole out enough to an unarmored to down them in three or four shots.

Also, could we look into the possibility of bunny slippers? I managed a pair off some furs abandoned mid-nowhere, and they do seem to be enough of a boost to let us outrun the foxes.

Overall, if we get ourselves well-equipped and trained, we should be able to take it back with a minimum of fuss. From there, I guess we push to the end of the world. Maybe we can chuck all the wickerware off the side...

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2009, 12:57:30 am »

I think it crashed on me again a bit ago, but I'm going to attempt to get back near the old colony for a while.  I'm not going to attempt going back out until I'm stronger and better equipped.  ...hopefully I can make it back and make a new hearth fire and have it be saved (as in, it doesn't crash before it saves).

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2009, 01:01:36 am »

It's going to be fairly costy to get everyone in plate mail, 12 bars a head but it can be done. I have everything I need set up back at the old camp, smelter, kiln and whatnot. I'm making myself some chain mail next.

We can take it back though, we will take it back!

edit to add that Jorb said he would place us a mine down there whereever we wanted, I suggest we decide later however.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 171