Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209765 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1560 on: June 17, 2009, 04:16:43 pm »

I made a little guy last night. Named Goron.
I will likely make my way to Bottleneck and train from there. Expect a noobie sometime soon (soon is a very relative term... that could be in an hour, or possibly tomorrow...)
If you're still going to go, I'll come with you. I wound up in Mordor last time I want looking for Bottleneck.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:21 pm »

I made my first (alright, second - first went into my miners helm) pair of Wrought Iron bars just now, and made a sword with them. I kinda expected a sword to be of some use in combat though - with equal ranks in Unarmed and Melee, I can kill a 3rd ring fox with my bare hands - but just now a 2nd ring fox beat me while I tried to stab it with the sword.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: June 17, 2009, 04:46:45 pm »

My suggestion would be to make a miner's helm and a pickaxe as soon as you can. It speeds up ore-gathering by an order of magnitude and the helm lets you see at night - I've taken to wearing mine on moonless nights and it's helped a ton. Naturally, the pickaxe isn't so necessary if you aren't planning to mine a lot.

As DJ said about charcoal, there are still a lot of stumps laying around the forest to the east (and some to the south as well), so helping clean up those eye-sores and getting charcoal from them is win/win. If you've got an (empty) backpack you can transport three entire stumps to the kilns.

Milaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: June 17, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »

based on my experience with the combat system I would recommend Unarmed for fighting animals, and Melee for fighting other people.

The difference between the two is swing rate, and armor

Animals generally have a pretty fast swing rate (especially fox) so you need to keep up with that to some extent if you want to keep combat advantage in your favor.  Meanwhile animals also have no armor, making the relatively low damage per hit from punches a non-issue.

A person however wearing armor will be able to negate a large portion of your punch damage, if not all of it, meaning you will need to use a weapon to overcome that (possibly using punches to build advantage, then switching, I have yet to fight a person in relatively even melee)

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »

I need help.

For instance, how do I kill a bloody animal!?

Also, how do I get to the settlement? :(

Aaaaand, what's this "A Beautiful Dream!" thing!? D:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:55:56 pm by DoctorZ »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: June 17, 2009, 05:31:01 pm »

I made a little guy last night. Named Goron.
I will likely make my way to Bottleneck and train from there. Expect a noobie sometime soon (soon is a very relative term... that could be in an hour, or possibly tomorrow...)
If you're still going to go, I'll come with you. I wound up in Mordor last time I want looking for Bottleneck.
sadly I don't think I'll be able to make the journey today...
the gf has company over, so it seems my gaming time tonight is limited... meaning... I have none:-)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1566 on: June 17, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »

Dreams are used to build hearth fires; your spawn point. Otherwise you reapear back in the ring each time.

It's simplest not to try to fight animals. Trust me, it's not like you'll be able to soon without some monstrous grinding.

Follow the roads south (lower right corner of the screen) to go to Bottleneck. There's a map on the first page.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: June 17, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

Dreams are also used for claim stakes (3) and dowsing rods (1).

Yes, try to avoid animals early on in the game. Unless they're bunnies. You can just pick those up and wring their necks if you have the "will to power" skill.

South is the lower left corner of the screen, not lower right. :P

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:11 pm »

I need help.

For instance, how do I kill a bloody animal!?

Also, how do I get to the settlement? :(

Aaaaand, what's this "A Beautiful Dream!" thing!? D:

You need some skills, first. Namely A Will to Power -> Unarmed Combat. Make fires and burn them to save up LP for it if you need it. (And for the love of god, please don't grind up with wicker baskets. There are already too many of those in the world and they're pretty well impossible to get rid of. It's alright to make some to use, just don't make fields of them.)

You'll then have an attack menu (hotkey k) with the ability punch. You may proceed to flail wildly at enemies - in order to be any good at it, you'll want to put some points into Unarmed Combat (on the first page of your Character Sheet). This also helps you dodge, and you'll spend quite a bit of time unarmed, so you'll want to pump this up even if you plan to do something else later. (And as Milaha said it's better to hunt unarmed than with melee, funnily enough)

It's also worth noting that you do not want to attack the belligerent wildlife (namely, foxes, boars, deer, and bears - though you're unlikely to see any but the first. And if they attack you of their own accord, just run back to where you came from). Smacking sheep and cows is fine - they don't fight back. You might have trouble hitting though. Bunnies can be caught by right-clicking on them when you have 4 free tiles in your inventory, and everything else isn't worth bothering with.

Getting to the settlement... Well, I can't help you there. I had a hard enough time getting here myself. There are some posts a bit back with maps that might help you.

The Beautiful Dream allows you to build a Hearthfire (under the Adventure menu - hotkey a). You'll log in at your hearthfire instead of at the stone ring if you build one. You get more dreams from Dreamcatchers, which should be relatively easy to find. You also use them to build Claims, but that's a ways away for you.

And since we're having a discussion that keeps interrupting my post with regards to the directions - keep in mind the display is isometric and your mini-map is not. So North/East/West/South are in the normal directions on the minimap, and Upper-right, Lower-right, Upper-left, and Lower-left respectively.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:55 pm »

I upgraded the stopover house a whole bunch, I live there now.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52:55 pm »

i have a settlement directly south of lothair, next to the second desert with my own mine and feilds and stuff....noones but a tree cutting runestone spamming noob has even come close to me.

on a side note, why not make a town far far away next to the lake all the way south with the island in the middle? put up some boundries and wicket basket fences for the animal spawns and we could have a nice settlement going, bears and warthogs would be plentiful there too.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: June 17, 2009, 07:10:33 pm »

Why not settle on and take over the island itself?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: June 17, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »

ahh sry thats what i meant....lol think of the security a tiny strip of land with no theives around.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: June 17, 2009, 07:20:46 pm »

The heart of the island is our secret doomsday facility. We'll request several mines to be in close proximity, and have all our forges and crucibles underground. Designated bakery areas, pre-planned roadways and fields. We could just drying rack all of the shore except for a small firegate.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: June 17, 2009, 07:39:48 pm »

Only problem being that the water there is only waist deep :P.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 171