Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209707 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1485 on: June 14, 2009, 12:12:39 am »

Why even play the game if all you're going to do is use macros?

The ones Vattic and me were pasting are interface improvements (although mine was less improvementy until I made it put the mouse back where it started, and edited the post to have a fixed version).

As for ductape, he runs the risk of having someone realize he's macroing afk, and either screwing him up, or knocking him out and either robbing him blind or murdering him.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 14, 2009, 03:55:38 am »

Are there any B12ers still settled near the blue circle on the map (newbie settlement)? Because I'm not gona move to the main one for quite a while (I already claimed a good chunk of land and farmed and built ovens and such), so I wanted to know if I had any familiar neighbors here.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 14, 2009, 04:04:32 am »

You don't need to move here dude. Malicus lives a fair distance away, and I can go and visit him in five minutes.

In fact, if you know the way, you can get from the RoB all the way over to Bottleneck in maybe ten minutes if your fast and don't encounter any foxes, which isn't impossible, and its easy to get 'em stuck* once you've had practice at it.

fastest I've ever gotten to RoB was around fifteen, but I got side tracked two or three times with foxes, so I could shave maybe three or four off that.

Visit often dude, there's lots to offer, and its really not that hard to get over here and back.

By the third time you've made the trip its not HALF as bad as people say. Sure for Newbies it is most of the time, but that's because their new.

*I can kill them with ease, but usually if I aggro more then two, I'll just stick 'em and move on.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 14, 2009, 04:07:48 am »

Ok, once I get melee to atleast 9, I'll try to visit there. My main problem is a lack of orientation, so I get lost easily, probably making the trip last much more than 15 minutes.

And questions:
-Do creatures kill you, or only drop you unconscious?
-What skills do I need to get before getting the First Aid skill?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:13:42 am by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 14, 2009, 04:19:54 am »

1. They drain your SHP, or rather Soft HP, and when you run out, you get knocked out. I don't think anyone's had the misfortune of being killed by an animal (or at least anyone who matters) by losing all of his HHP, or Hard HP, so I wouldn't worry about it, just run away from them, and don't try to melee them until you get at least basic armor and a higher Melee Skill, plus a bit of Str. I usually use a bow on them.

2. Valor.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 14, 2009, 04:48:11 am »

You don't actually need Melee. You need Unarmed Fighting, since that's basically what they're doing to you. I've had Melee at 15, and the foxes were still scoring hits until I raised my Unarmed to 10. Then they started missing, and at this point, with 14 Unarmed, I can hold out against a fox in the first purple ring almost indefinetly. Also, at first Melee is useless. A Stone Axe is so unwieldy and has such a long recharge time that it's not worth it. You can deal three Punches for 9 total damage in the same time you make one Chop for 10.

While it lasts, you should first go into Marksmanship. Archery is a somewhat expensive skill, but it lets you hold out against aggressive wildlife.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1491 on: June 14, 2009, 06:18:04 am »

Is that correct? Higher unarmed is lower chance of animals hitting you?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 14, 2009, 06:22:32 am »

I don't know about "correct", but that's what my experiments have amounted to. I'll check the game's forums, I think there was a thread about this matter.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 14, 2009, 08:13:12 am »

That's what I've heard about Unarmed too (and I would think I read it on the game's forums). I haven't been able to find the topic, though.

Also, the specific track to First Aid is Will to Power -> Unarmed Combat -> Valor -> First Aid. I think Valor's a tidbit LP-expensive (compared to the others, anyway) but First Aid is quite cheap. I think that's also the skill you need to make Gauze, but I won't swear to it.

I'd link you to the skill tree chart, but I can't seem to find it and apparently "skill tree" is too common a search term over there.

GregGCL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:09 am »

Hey guys, I saw a cart filled with our iron ore via the mine. I took a basket full of iron to ensure that this was not a theft. It is currently at my estate south of bottleneck and will be returned on explanation of the event. This estates was formerly pucks if that is of help.

Sincerely,

Adam-

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 14, 2009, 10:06:19 am »

Was it just west of the mine, by the tree nursery? I mined last night, and that's where I parked my cart. I smelted and used the iron already, but maybe it got doubled in the crash or something.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:56 am »

I think I'm going to raise all three fighting skills to 10 or something before specializing in a single one, since it seems all are useful in some way.

EDIT: WOW, seems there has been an important update, there are two new stats to raise: exploration and stealth. Also, new option in the claim menu. And probably other stuff too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:44:11 am by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 14, 2009, 10:56:45 am »

I do believe that Hawkfrost and Dragooble have decided to quit, which means it's back down to lil' ole me here at Hill Dwarf  :'(.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 14, 2009, 10:59:22 am »

I do believe that Hawkfrost and Dragooble have decided to quit, which means it's back down to lil' ole me here at Hill Dwarf  :'(.

Why did they quit? :(

On another note: OH THANK GOD: http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439
No more crimes!
<@Akroma> eh

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 14, 2009, 11:04:48 am »

So yeah, they apparently implemented tracking and shared claims. Both, again, stuff that was really needed. But they also went controversial with Hearth Fire Summoning, e.g. you can track characters to their hearth fire and summon them there if their crime was sufficiently severe, and beat the tar outta them. And yes, you'll leave tracking clues while enacting justice, allowing for blood feuds.

However, for tracking a character and perma-killing him you'll need Rage, Murder, Trespassing (probably.), sufficient weaponry and Tracking, which costs about 25000 LP without the combat skills. So, yeah, probably balanced, even if getting killed in your sleep is slightly unsettling. Crime became a lot less safe.

Also, you no longer get a HHP damage when entering a claim, you just leave a trespassing track. Stealing stuff from said claim involves another skill and is summon-worthy. Etc etc etc...

I also lost my bow during the crash...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 171