Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209403 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1245 on: June 08, 2009, 09:38:27 am »

What's up with the server? Or, should I say, what's down?

I'm going to lose that haul of ore I just made, I know it! :(
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 08, 2009, 09:45:25 am »

I agree with that idea. For a test run, I propose we try it at the new industrial centre. People that work on baking or smelting should get yeomanry and move their hearthfire into the firewall. Place a claim around your hearth, to ensure that anyone who tries to burn around it takes some damage. The firewall is still thin at the east side, so burn a hole there when you're ready to move your hearth. Important: have at least one bay12 witness when you do it. Any hearths without witnesses will be considered hostile and walled in.

So, that means that the main gates will only be needed for hearth access and access to equipment which will be stored in the new stockpile (yet to be plotted). With this reduces demand on gate access, I think we can divide the gates by professions. So, the southeast gate would be the miner's gate, and they would pass that claim only to each other. North will be baker's gate, and that leaves two gates on which to decide function. I think the western gate should be general access gate and be passed on to any bay12-er. This should somewhat simplify finding the gatekeeper for a gate you want to cross. And people, please don't bother gatekeepers unless you really have some business inside.

In other news, I've plotted out some ovens and metalworks. If you want to, feel free to finish building them, but please don't start any new. I have a plan here, and I'd appreciate it if you let me do all the laying out of buildings.

Also, harvesters, don't bother picking up straw. It just results in a lot of pointless walking because we have more straw than we need. And make sure to replant. I've found it that the fastest way to harvest is to click on harvest, then select a seed in your inventory and right click to replant as soon as harvesting is complete. This way you don't need to walk the same tiles twice to replant, and you can get a full inventory of seeds because when you select a seed for planting it immediately frees that inventory slot.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:20 am »

Hey, just to get a scope of how big your city is, how many houses do you have in it?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:05 am »

sorry for being gone so long sonerohi. i was preoccupied with timesplitters 2. while i admit to taking the mining pick i never took any smithy hammer. i have never touched that hammer in the chest my whole time at this settlement. when will you be on next? i need to turn in this pick and i cant get past your huge ass claim.

Well then shit, we lost the smithy's hammer to the server crash! I'm gonna be on like, right now and probably just on and off anytime after noon today.

Ugh. Actually, as far as I know, I crashed with it in inventory yesterday... When the server comes back up, I'll put it back if I still have it.

Also, as an idea, could we move most of the inventory into the mine? Might make it easier to blockade. Of course, the food set would be stuck outdoors...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 08, 2009, 10:47:08 am »

Gah... it's been down so long!

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:36 am »

Argh, this thread is the fastest growing thread in history. Everytime I read a page another one is up.

On topic, I like the hearth fire gate idea very much. We need to get a list of every resident and make sure they have a spot in the wall, otherwise people may get trapped out or inside the city.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 08, 2009, 11:07:35 am »

I must point out that a good idea would be the Hearthfire gate idea. If we trust somebody with industry we allow them a space in the fence to make a Hearthfire that only they can go through. If the wall is thick enough, they would have to burn 5 fires to get around the hearthfire. Also, as far as we know tresspassing is not a skill that can bypass it.

So the idea is that Only those we trust with production we allow to make hearthfires at the gates and then more or less seal off the whole area to the world except for those hearthfires.

Hearth fires alone won't work well, at all. As everyone works on the industries, especially since our population seems exceptionally low lately.

Also, carts would not be able to get through.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 08, 2009, 11:50:25 am »

Currently I have a mine to myself and will do until my steel finishes doing, should be around this time tomorrow. I've blocked that off a very simple way requiring no claims at all :D.

My hearth fire is in front of the bottom of the ladder so anyone entering from the surface gets stuck on it and have to go back up the ladder or logout, I can of course walk through my own hearth fire so its no problem for me. I tried blocking it using normal fires but you could just light them and wait but I did learn something interesting from this, if there is something blocking the ladder from the front you can just climb up the back of it.

So one way we could defend our industry is to get all our guys who will be refilling crucibles to place their hearth fires down in the mines and then one guy to place his by the ladder. This way you can get stuff down there either through the guy who placed his hearth fire by the ladder or by filling your inventory and logging in and out. You can also still leave the mines as I described above.

If you wondered what happens if the bottom of the mine is in a claim then those without trespassing just have the screen flash black and appear back at the entrance to the mines.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 08, 2009, 12:20:42 pm »

sorry for being gone so long sonerohi. i was preoccupied with timesplitters 2. while i admit to taking the mining pick i never took any smithy hammer. i have never touched that hammer in the chest my whole time at this settlement. when will you be on next? i need to turn in this pick and i cant get past your huge ass claim.

Well then shit, we lost the smithy's hammer to the server crash! I'm gonna be on like, right now and probably just on and off anytime after noon today.

Ugh. Actually, as far as I know, I crashed with it in inventory yesterday... When the server comes back up, I'll put it back if I still have it.

Also, as an idea, could we move most of the inventory into the mine? Might make it easier to blockade. Of course, the food set would be stuck outdoors...

Wait. Are you at Bottleneck? If yes, then you're in the wrong discussion. If no, when the hell did you come to the Hill Dwarf settlement?

Oh yah, I'm on right now Dragooble. Sorry about the claim being so big, but we need to protect our mine and our wagon area, and I'm the only one with yeomanship. Also, the road connecting us to Clayshire is finished and trading is opened with their village.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:21:40 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 08, 2009, 01:22:32 pm »

ugh,,, server blew again I think, thats about the third time that happened to me today

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 08, 2009, 01:23:08 pm »

I think the server just crashed. Again. And this time with me doing leatherworks. These crashes are pursuing me! First the crops, then the ore, now leather! Next what, steel?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 08, 2009, 01:26:09 pm »

It's an alpha. The more it crashes now, the less it will in the future. Hopefully.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 08, 2009, 01:28:12 pm »

I was not doing anything important.

What!
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 08, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »

Awww man. Gotta redo that last road segment now  :'(. Once the marketplace goes up, I'll expect to be buying iron from the Bottleneck caravan.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 08, 2009, 01:45:54 pm »

Next what, steel?

If I don't get online before long I'll be loosing about 12 steel... no joke.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 171