Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209501 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1110 on: June 06, 2009, 09:43:35 pm »

I'm coming down. I've reached the halfway house and placed my hearthfire.

Already been knocked out at least three times by foxes. I'll make the rest of the trip later.

As for the proposal, isn't that a bit harsh? I understand that a few people have been causing trouble, but there's no reason to create tension between ourselves and other settlements if we don't have to. I think the best solution would be to have a city guard that can patrol constantly, but we'd need more population for that to be reasonable. I'm really not sure.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 06, 2009, 09:44:40 pm »

A dedicated city guard wouldn't be feasible. He would have to be on at all times, and he would never be able to patrol all of Bottleneck.

I've been thinking about this all day, and, as a disorganized community, we need a very low maintenance solution.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 06, 2009, 09:47:15 pm »

There's no way to patrol all of Bottleneck at all times. you can't recognize a griefer if you don't catch him red-handed. The Great Firewall is the best solution. And knocking someone down isn't that bad, it only takes 1 hard hp. If it turns out to be a misunderstanding, we give them a complimentary loaf of bread and tell them to be careful in the future, and things should go smoothly

Of course, we'd also need a public area of the Bottleneck, where we could meet foreign visitors.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 06, 2009, 09:49:33 pm »

Yeah, I figure we would have a trade depot right outside the main entrance.

Do claims disappear when someone doesn't log in for twelve hours?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 06, 2009, 09:51:25 pm »

Hm. I guess as long as there was a "public area," it would be fine.

I just kind of dislike the concept of killing someone because they wandered in somewhere. Then again, I guess a 9-deep wall of fires would be kind of hard to "wander into."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 06, 2009, 09:57:11 pm »

And I must stress the need for multiple entrances. A gatekeeper may not find anyone to hand the claim over to, so he'll have to go to sleep without declaiming and lock us in for 12 hours or so. With multiple gatekeepers in different timezones, there would never be such long period when none can be found.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 06, 2009, 09:57:42 pm »

I just kind of dislike the concept of killing someone because they wandered in somewhere. Then again, I guess a 9-deep wall of fires would be kind of hard to "wander into."

You'd be surprised as to how far the intensity of curiosity can carry people.

As for the ideas proposed a page back, I find it unattractive at best for the entire town to be on permanent no outsider lockdown at all times. Maybe protect the important segments of industry: The farms, metal productions, etc. Citizen homesteads could be exluded from the protection program. It also wouldn't take as long to build, and you could have a gatekeeper for each segment of industry. One for mining, one for farming.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:02:44 pm by Detrevni|inverteD »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 06, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »

And I must stress the need for multiple entrances. A gatekeeper may not find anyone to hand the claim over to, so he'll have to go to sleep without declaiming and lock us in for 12 hours or so. With multiple gatekeepers in different timezones, there would never be such long period when none can be found.

I'm not sure how multiple entrances would help in that situation.

You'd be surprised as to how far the intensity of curiosity can carry people.

If they insist on exploring after they read the signs, their curiosity will carry them straight to the next life.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 06, 2009, 10:13:55 pm »

Carts, mothercarpers!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 06, 2009, 10:16:42 pm »

Maybe protect the important segments of industry: The farms, metal productions, etc. Citizen homesteads could be exluded from the protection program. It also wouldn't take as long to build, and you could have a gatekeeper for each segment of industry. One for mining, one for farming.

There are two problems with that.

One, the gatekeepers would have to let people in every few seconds, considering how many people come and go throughout the industries. I do not think they would want to be gatekeepers if that was the only thing they ever had the chance to do.

Two, our entire food industry is kinda scattered throughout residential areas.

It is better that we have the gates at the outskirts of town, as there is minute amount of traffic entering and exiting the city.

I'm not sure how multiple entrances would help in that situation.

Vucar is correct, no matter how many gates we have we would always have the same number of potential gatekeepers.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 06, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »

Can you let your "kin" enter your residence? I haven't tried yeomancy yet, so I have no idea how that all works.

It sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth, though, if that isn't the case.

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:46 pm »

Couldn't you create a currency that could be handed out to people who volunteer (and are trusted) to be gatekeepers?  Like bread as currency? Then people have something to look forward to  ;D.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 06, 2009, 10:21:47 pm »

Food production seems to be lagging behind. I can find at the most baskets full of food ingredients, not finished food. I'm not sure whether it's all at the mine or what, but remember that it's not just the miners that need to eat. I'm going to spend a few hours baking bread and whatever else we have the ingredients for to try and rectify the problem a bit.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:16 pm »

If anyone from Bottleneck that can handle a ring 3 fox would like some easy experience, I have 10 landcarp patrolling my property. I'm stuck inside with Hawkfrost, and We'll both surely die without help.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 06, 2009, 10:33:43 pm »

im on my way!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 171