Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 171

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth  (Read 209540 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth
« Reply #1095 on: June 06, 2009, 08:32:04 pm »

You need steel for plate armour.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »

Which breaks over time.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 06, 2009, 08:41:23 pm »

So you make new.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 06, 2009, 08:42:44 pm »

I hear it breaks much slower than the iron plate did. The battleaxe is for battle and will do much more damage than the soldiers sword much like how the soldiers sword does much more damage than the militia sword.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 06, 2009, 08:43:35 pm »

But that's a bitch of a process. Wouldn't you rather have a red shirt army with militia swords, leather armor, and shields? You can outfit and replace all of that so much easier.

I'm also talking about this in entirely a sense of a need for swift militiary action, say putting down a bear assault force, or hunting down shockedfrog and any lackeys he might obtain. The way I suggest, you'll be able to quickly field a strike force of near to 7 people (probably all that could be spared at one time from Bottlenecks operations) whereas outfitting in all of the platemail will afford you 2, maybe 3 people if your lucky. It's a whole lot easier to evade 2 or 3 juggernauts than it is to avoid a net of 7-ish people that could probably hold ground against you long enough for all the other redshirts to dogpile you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:48:43 pm by sonerohi »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:15 pm »

(OTHER THAN AN APPLE TREE SOMEONE "OWNS" AND IS NOW UNACCESSABLE TO ANYONE)

I did that to protect it from shockedfrog or anyone else with the same intent.

If you guys need to use the apple tree in front of my house, request party as soon as you see me log in on your Kin List.

It may seem stupid, but until we can grow more apple trees, I want to make sure we have one to be used only by people I know won't cut it down ever.

At anyrate, I can still unclaim it for you guys. Sorry for the inconvenience, just another security measure that can again be solved very easily.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »

Perhaps, it really depends how much difference there is in damage reduction and increase for steel plate and battle axes respectively.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:21 pm »

Okay, I think I'm going to unclaim that tree anyway. I'll just watch it closely for now.

Drop me a message in game if your coming by, I like to know who's around.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 06, 2009, 08:50:16 pm »

Edit- Guess it was dawn.

Yaaaay! My anvil and finery forge finally cooperated! Made two wrought iron and made a saw. I'm reprocessing the cast iron that failed at the bloom stage.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:57:08 pm by sonerohi »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 06, 2009, 08:54:22 pm »

It's dawn I believe.

When it comes to the apple trees, when we get to plant them I suggest we plant at least 2 close to each place that needs them and that one of those two is claimed, this way we can quickly return to what we were doing when and if we get attacked again.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: June 06, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »

my settlement has gained plus one Hawkfrost and we're halfway done with his cabin.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 06, 2009, 09:39:46 pm »

I've planted a bunch of trees in the forest a put a claim on them. When they grow up, I'm removing the claim. I think we should all practice this for some added safety.

Also, I've been thinking about my proposal to block off the mine, and I said screw it, let's block off the whole village! We need to construct a fence around the whole thing (a megaproject, for sure) with openings covered in claims. There should be at least one entrance per inhabitant, but maybe even more are in order, depending on what direction each of us needs to walk when going in and out of the village. When we get new immigrants, well, they can ask one of us to invite them into their party so they can enter and exit, or if some of us have multiple entrances they can give them one. This way we can connect to the global road network to attract trade, but still keep thiefs and griefers out. If you see somebody bleeding while walking through an entrance (because of trespassing), assume it's a thief and shoot first, ask questions later. What do you say?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:41:21 pm by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40:02 pm »

I have a proposal to solve part of our current problems. A while back, Duke suggested building a wall to keep out wildlife. At the time, I thought this wasn't really necessary, but those were simpler times.

Times have changed. When we first started, we were a simple commune. We shared the fruits of our labor freely with each other, and our feelings were gladly reciprocated. I know that many of you still feel that is the way we should live, and I am not proposing that we change.

But we need to protect ourselves from the outsiders, people who wish to steal and destroy.

That is why I am putting forth this humble proposal.

Proposal Turtle.

Step 1

The Wall.

Build a massive nine thick wall of unlit fires around Bottleneck and the surrounding area.

At first, I thought we should build the wall out of nice, invincible, drying racks, and only leave one entrance. But, then I realized that a cursed outsider could easily build a wall of drying racks across the gate. Thus, sealing us inside Bottleneck for all of eternity.

At nine thick, the wall of unlit fires will take several hours to breach by lighting them. Any attempt to break through would be noticed long before it succeeded, and it would be swiftly dealt with.

Step 2

The Gatekeeper.

Leave only a single entrance into Bottleneck, one tile wide and nine tiles long, and establish gatekeepers to control this spot.

The gatekeeper would claim the gate and only allow registered residents of Bottleneck inside. He would not have to stand by the gate always. Anyone who wishes entrance would have to alert the gatekeeper through private message or the IRC channel.

When the gatekeeper needs to log off, he would unclaim the gate and allow someone else to claim it. That person would then be the gatekeeper.

Step 3

The List.

Every current member of Bottleneck would need to register on an official list of citizens. Anyone who wishes to join Bottleneck would have to apply for citizenship. This list would be needed to know who to let in the gates.

Step 4

Zero Tolerance.

This step really clinches it all together.

The penalty for outsiders entering bottleneck would be death.

The penalty for outsiders damaging the wall would be death.

There will be no apologies and no excuses. Any malicious outsider caught within Bottleneck city wall could easily feign ignorance. So that would not help them.

We wouldn't want to be unfair about this. So, there will be signs outside the only gate warning of these penalties.

End proposal.

What does everyone think? Any changes you guys can suggest?

We are going to need a consensus on this. Though, even if you guys don't want steps 3 & 4, steps 1 & 2 are pretty important.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 06, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »

I, naturally, agree with all four points.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 06, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »

16 seconds DJ! 16 seconds.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 171