Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Drugs - Legalisation and such.  (Read 7217 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs - Legalisation and such.
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 04:27:49 am »

Looking into this for you since you didn't:
"as a κ-opioid agonist, it may have potential as an analgesic and as a therapeutic tool for treating drug addictions.... [survey of 500 people with firsthand experience] 0.6% percent of respondents reported feeling addicted to or dependent on salvia at some point, and 1.2% reported strong cravings... Only 4.4% reported persisting (24 hours or more) negative effects (most often anxiety) on at least one occasion....

Thomas Prisinzano, assistant professor of medicinal and natural products chemistry at the University of Iowa, has suggested that salvia may help treat cocaine addiction

“ You can give a rat free access to cocaine, give them free access to Salvinorin A, and they stop taking cocaine.”

Masis 2007-02-28 (US Media)

Unfortunately:
An ABC news story which reported on this went on to suggest “the excitement could vanish overnight if the federal government criminalized the sale or possession of salvia, as the Drug Enforcement Agency is considering doing right now.”[59] A proposed Schedule I classification would mean (among other things) that there’s no “currently accepted medical use” as far as the United States government is concerned.[61] Scientists worry that such legislation would restrict further work.[62][63] Mendelsohn said scheduling salvia could scare away a great deal of research and development into salvia’s therapeutic promise.[59]

Mainstream news coverage and journalistic opinion has widely been negative on the subject.

Blahblahblah.

What I did hear from my friend was that the high off of it "is not fun" in comparsion to pot. It's too extreme. It was mainly used to seers to induce visions.

By chance is your friend a bio chemist?
No, but he does do woodworking. I heard about this in the news, mainly that it was a new fad. Asked him about it next time I saw him "Already been there. Scariest sh*t I've ever done". He pulled up some articles I skimmed over.

edit:
aha! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvinorin_A
No nitrogen. That's what I remember. It's very unique. It's closest in action to therapeutic drugs, yet you hear everywhere "LSD! LSD!".

edit:
A dissociative is a drug which reduces (or blocks) signals to the conscious mind from other parts of the brain[citation needed], typically, but not necessarily, limited to the senses.

Huh. I recall sensory deprivation can cause hardcore hallucinating. From what I'm reading this stuff temporarily (a matter of minutes) doesn't just impair, but literally and chemically blocks your mind from the physical world. Other drugs (like LSD and pot etc, the classic bad ones) distort physical world perception. Completely different kind of reaction going on.

this is all really interesting to read about, mostly because it is unfolding as I type, but I can't stay up to read much more. read. it's weird.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 04:40:28 am by Idiom »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 06:59:13 am »

My idea for drugs is:
1:Make all recreational drugs legal. Heavily tax them.
2:Use additional funds to setup helplines for any who become addicted. It's easier to admit to an addiction when the substance is legal. Ads to help quit smoking are broadcast on television, for example.
3:PROFIT!

I wait for your opinions.

My idea for drugs is: NEVER ever legalize any drugs. [Yes, not even marijuana] You know, people are very different. Under drug influence lot of people becoming violent, not to mention that they have zero idea, that what are they doing, while they are "stoned".

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 11:16:04 am »

*Ahem*

Cigarettes? Coffee? Pretty much the same effect, only less.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:40 pm »

A few things to note (spoilers around longest descriptions, but they aren't too long):

Caffeine is not very addictive at all, unlike cocaine or heroin.  Beer and marijuana aren't addictive either.  Cigarettes, however, contain nicotine, and that is where most of the controversy lies.

Spoiler: Cocaine (click to show/hide)

LSD can also cause permanent psychoses, and it stays in your body for ages, so it is in fact a dangerous drug. 

Spoiler: Crack (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ecstasy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Methamphetamine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heroin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Marijuana (click to show/hide)

I got all this information from my AP/IB Chemistry, Law Education, and Health course notes (the latter is admittedly a bit out of date with its textbooks, but I wasn't looking through that textbook just now), and it can be confirmed by Wikipedia, among other (likely more reliable) sources, with the exception of "cheese," which I heard about on the news (CNN, I think).

Just for emphasis, quitting smoking is small potatoes compared to most of these other drugs mentioned.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 05:45:53 pm »

LSD can also cause permanent psychoses, and it stays in your body for ages, so it is in fact a dangerous drug.
Bullshit. Go back to your CCS hideout.

We need a slogan!

Also, it isn't like LSD is some all or nothing deal where you're high out of you mind or not on it at all, people can take small amounts and just have mild visual hallucinations. We could make LSD soft drinks that just give mild hallucinations. They'd be like Coke, only less disgusting.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 06:03:17 pm »

Bullshit. Go back to your CCS hideout.
All I can think of at the moment is "Charleston Catholic School."  Anything else with the same acronym would have to be really important to me for me to think of it instead.
I was happy to get out of it, thank you. 
LSD really does that.  You always get high, it's just that you can get "bad trips" which can be terrifying, even with mild doses.  The near-permanence is part of why moderation does no good with it, which is why it is illegal.

Here is a story:  Two girls hanging out downtown, on LSD.  They buy a hot dog.  They think it is talking to them.  They talk to it for awhile, until the girl holding it absentmindedly takes a bite out of it.  To them, it screams.  The biter drops it and stomps on it, and the two run away, crying.  They feel guilty until the effects subside.  Lord knows if and when they'll have a flashback.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:37:47 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 06:13:58 pm »

Eh, LSD isn't without harm. Is it more dangerous then cigs or alcohol. I can't really say. It could use some more long term studies. It probably isn't.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »

I'd rather not. Once you legalize it, it's nearly impossible to illegalize it. See tobacco, alcohol. It becomes a part of the culture. Leave it at illegal, people will still do it, but they won't do it out in the open, where it'll cause harm.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 07:29:29 am »

*Ahem*

Cigarettes? Coffee? Pretty much the same effect, only less.

Not really... :P

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 08:00:45 am »

Marijuana is like cigarettes. With the exception that it is medicinal. I say, legalize it like cigarettes but put restrictions on it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 09:38:48 am »

Marijuana is like cigarettes. With the exception that it is medicinal. I say, legalize it like cigarettes but put restrictions on it.
Again, medicinal marijuana is not smoked.  Again, marijuana is also non-addictive, quite unlike cigarettes.  Meaning it is actually somewhat safer.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 10:35:41 am »

Medicinal marijuana can be smoked, but there are other methods of introducing the THC into the system that are preferred over smoking.
!!&!!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2009, 11:23:39 am »

My idea for drugs is: NEVER ever legalize any drugs. [Yes, not even marijuana] You know, people are very different. Under drug influence lot of people becoming violent, not to mention that they have zero idea, that what are they doing, while they are "stoned".
I've smoked pot with hundreds of people, and I have not met one single person that gets violent when stoned. It's quite the opposite, actually. People that normally don't get along become more friendlier to each other when they're high.

Alcohol, on the other hand, is horrible in this respect. I've seen people that are normally cool-headed get into fights over nothing at all when they get drunk.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2009, 11:39:38 am »

I'm assuming that CCS is conservative crime squad.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 12:00:09 pm »

Again, medicinal marijuana is not smoked.  Again, marijuana is also non-addictive, quite unlike cigarettes.  Meaning it is actually somewhat safer.

I know that. But it should still be treated like cigarettes.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6