Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k:Space Marine Game  (Read 4545 times)

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k:Space Marine Game
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 11:35:24 am »

Eh, might buy this, but why does it have to be Marines every time? I mean, c'mon, the IG can be badass too!
Can't we have a game where you play as a Guardsman? (Or even better, an PDF trooper.) Make a game out of the Cain books!
A Mass Effect-like game where you'd play as an Inquisitor would also be nice... *imagines*                                             

Well, quite frankly, I think the Space Marines put you in the whole "GRIM'N'DARK WARHAMMER" setting much better than most other races would do. But to answer you question more correctly... it's because everyone (ESPECIALLY Games Workshop) seems to prefer Imperial forces over everything else. So no wonder why it's always the overly-famed SPESS MAHREENS who steal the show.

Look at the Dark Eldar, haven't gotten a Codex Update in years... but Space Marines?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 01:56:53 pm »

PDF? They suck!

THAT'S IMPERIAL GUARD PROPAGANDA THEY WANT YOU TO THINK THEY'RE BETTER THAN THE BRAVE PDF TROOPS!
IT'S ALWAYS THE PDF WHO DO ALL THE HARD WORK!

Inquisition would be the only faction you could really play in a Mass Effect-like game. Or some of the alien races, but still.
Ooh, maybe you could play a pirate!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:48 pm »

Eh, might buy this, but why does it have to be Marines every time? I mean, c'mon, the IG can be badass too!
Can't we have a game where you play as a Guardsman? (Or even better, an PDF trooper.) Make a game out of the Cain books!
A Mass Effect-like game where you'd play as an Inquisitor would also be nice... *imagines*                                             

Well, quite frankly, I think the Space Marines put you in the whole "GRIM'N'DARK WARHAMMER" setting much better than most other races would do. But to answer you question more correctly... it's because everyone (ESPECIALLY Games Workshop) seems to prefer Imperial forces over everything else. So no wonder why it's always the overly-famed SPESS MAHREENS who steal the show.

Look at the Dark Eldar, haven't gotten a Codex Update in years... but Space Marines?

The last Warhammer FPS was about a Tau fire warior, so it's not the space marines that get all the credits. It's the cool shooty guys that get it though. Wouldn't see an FPS staring a necron or an Eldar cvomming out any time soon...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »

Didn't somebody complain about the animation of the marine stabbing someone with a chain-sword? (basically a blunt metal club with chainsaw blades on the side)

I believe that was me. I love how this game is painting Orks in the cannon-fodder light as opposed to the crazed green people who can take obscene amounts of punishment... light. If they were this weak why would the Empire even have been fighting them for this long.

Because Orcs reproduce using spores, and because Space Marines don't like fighting Orcs. It's so boring. They would be rather be out fighting against Tyranids and Chaos, and let the PDF handle the Orcish threat.

Well, quite frankly, I think the Space Marines put you in the whole "GRIM'N'DARK WARHAMMER" setting much better than most other races would do.

How? They're a bunch of super-powered marines morons fighting for humanity with superior firepower. How am I supposed to feel "grimy and darky" about that?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »

Well, quite frankly, I think the Space Marines put you in the whole "GRIM'N'DARK WARHAMMER" setting much better than most other races would do.

How? They're a bunch of super-powered marines morons fighting for humanity with superior firepower. How am I supposed to feel "grimy and darky" about that?

Don't look at me, I didn't invent them. What I meant was, that when you think about Warhammer, you think about Space Marines (at least I do). Evil tongues may say that they put you into the role of SM because they know, everybody loves 'em, thus having a higher chance of making money duh.

Or they just favour SM, like always.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:34 pm »

If they were this weak why would the Empire even have been fighting them for this long.

Because their numerous beyond imagine.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 10:17:53 pm »

If they were this weak why would the Empire even have been fighting them for this long.

Because their numerous beyond imagine.

If a single space marine had the capability to kill as many as they do in this game's trailer, then their numbers would have little importance.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »

I said BEYOND IMAGINE.

This is fucking Warhammer 40K.

Everything is bigger. Everything is stronger. Everything is grimmer. Everything is Darker.

AND THERE'S ALWAYS ROOM FOR MORE FUCKING DAKKA.

Now continuing with the topic, who here thinks the option to use vehicles would be nice?

I'd admit, driving a Land Raider Crusader would pretty much take away any challenge.

On the otherhand, Space Marines have Biker companies and there are speeders.

Not that you would want to use a speeder. No, you want to just go and smash some Greenskin skulls in.

ParkEX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 11:28:15 pm »

Didn't it somewhere in the codex say, that a Space Marine equals 20, max. 30 Orks (in the matter of fighting skills)?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 07:33:55 am »

Didn't it somewhere in the codex say, that a Space Marine equals 20, max. 30 Orks (in the matter of fighting skills)?
Yes. Absolutely. Marneus Calgar took down an Avatar. Pedro Kantor had few marines, and survived over hundreds of Orks.

DARNATH LYSANDER SURVIVED 1000 IN THE WARP AND THEN BEING TORTURED.

I THINK THEY CAN.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:37 pm »

Wasn't the whole THIS WH40K RACE IS BETTER THAN THAT ONE NECRON CAN KILL THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE AND NEVER DIE BUT SPACE MARINES KILL EVERYONE HORUS KILLED THE EMPEROR argument part of the downfall of VN?  Don't kill  Other Games.
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2009, 02:12:12 pm »

No. THat was the downfall of 612

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:12 pm »

Was he a positively contributing member before that?
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2009, 02:51:12 pm »

Probably not.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »

Yes. Absolutely. Marneus Calgar took down an Avatar. Pedro Kantor had few marines, and survived over hundreds of Orks.

DARNATH LYSANDER SURVIVED 1000 IN THE WARP AND THEN BEING TORTURED.

I THINK THEY CAN.

Jason slew a Hydra. Does that mean humans are stronger then hydra's? There are always those that become heroes because of exceptional luck or skill, and those go down into the myths (or codices in this case). All those marines that get shot with a blasta before they have a change to do anything and all the regiments that get evaporated by a few Eldar Fire Prisms arn't mentioned. Those that die gloriously in battle with an acceptable kill to death ration perhaps get a footnote....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4