Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 consectutive life sentences  (Read 4609 times)

AdamN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2 consectutive life sentences
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:46 am »

My founder has just been given two live sentences, i was wondering how long a life sentence is, i know it may sound silly but in the Uk i think a life sentence is 22 years. The game says my founder is in prison for -2 months.

Thanks in advance Adam

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 consectutive life sentences
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:32:17 am »

A life sentence last until you die, AdamN. So, you're going to have to say in prison forever. Having more than one life sentence is just there for show, as a way of showcasing just how much society wants you punished.

Life sentences exist so that you have the potential to break your founder out of prison, altough if he get rearrested, the courts are going to be very likely to convict you again.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:21 am »

The game says my founder is in prison for -2 months.

Still, smells of a conservative bug. Months going into negative?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »

The game says my founder is in prison for -2 months.

That's a display bug (it should say life sentence instead), but your founder should be kept in prison for the appropriate (eternal) time anyway. Life sentences are modeled in negatives -- the -2 means "two consecutive life sentences". But that's all under the hood, and shouldn't be shown on that screen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:19 pm »

A life sentence last until you die

That isn't quite how it works to my knowledge.

A Life Sentence lasts a minimum of 20 years however if you are seen as dangerous to society, and possibly other things, they can basically keep you in jail forever.

At least that is how I "think" the Canadian system works.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 08:13:40 pm »

What a life sentence usually means is, the term is effectively forever, but after 20 years you can be allowed to make a case for your parole every once in a while.  You have prove you're not dangerous anymore of course, and I don't know how long a life sentence parole lasts.  The case can also be settled with no opportunity for parole.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:35:53 am »

A Life Sentence lasts a minimum of 20 years however if you are seen as dangerous to society, and possibly other things, they can basically keep you in jail forever.

Well, it's how it works in LCS. Once you are in prison for life, it's life. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Which just means, of course, that somebody needs to mod in a parole system.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »

Well, it's how it works in LCS. Once you are in prison for life, it's life. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Which just means, of course, that somebody needs to mod in a parole system.
I'm probably going to change this.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »

That would be great, as it would give a greater sense of realism. It could also contribute to the beginnings of a system for modeling behaviors in prison; once you can get out on parole, or be released early after most of your sentence is completed, your behavior in prison becomes more significant. Job training and reading about law in the library would seem to be likely to give you more brownie points than working out and getting into fights. This would also give an opportunity to reveal in greater detail the difference between conservative prison conditions and liberal prison conditions.

One question to consider is how parole will be handled -- you could just have any LCS members let out immediately jump parole, but if that's the case they should be immediately returned to prison to complete their sentence when arrested, the same way escapees should (but aren't currently). Otherwise, they'll be expected to stay out of trouble, sever all contact with the LCS, and get a real job. I might suggest that a character be permitted to become a low-level sleeper (perhaps of the fast food worker or secretary variety) in order to follow along with this.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 05:14:35 pm »

And then they could rejoin after their parole is up?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »

I would imagine so.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:15:38 pm »

My founder has just been given two live sentences, i was wondering how long a life sentence is, i know it may sound silly but in the Uk i think a life sentence is 22 years. The game says my founder is in prison for -2 months.

Thanks in advance Adam
Wait, *negative* two months?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 11:56:46 pm »

Actually, this ties into an idea I had about jobs...

Essentially, jobs should change.  For instance, don't college students stay college students forever currently?  Why not let sleeper college students become sleeper lawyers eventually?  Or, perhaps sleeper office workers can become sleeper office managers, who in turn become sleeper CEOs?  Best of all, useful sleeper teenagers don't have to become useless sleeper political activists...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 03:01:15 am »

Thanks in advance Adam

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, life sentences are modeled in-game by negative numbers for the number of months you're sentenced to. The display bug is probably arising from the fact that it only displays special life sentence text instead of printing the number for -1, when it should do so for any negative number.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »

Thanks in advance Adam

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, life sentences are modeled in-game by negative numbers for the number of months you're sentenced to. The display bug is probably arising from the fact that it only displays special life sentence text instead of printing the number for -1, when it should do so for any negative number.
Ah, I see...
Pages: [1] 2