Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to automatically kill wagons  (Read 1504 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to automatically kill wagons
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:01:03 am »

I was messing around with a new entrance defense when I noticed the lead wagons for trade caravans were mysteriously dieing. Turns out that part of the wagon will move far enough through the wall behind a ramp before changing z-levels that creatures on the other side can attack it. Though I have yet to put magma on the other side of the wall I'm assuming it works just as well. All items the wagon was carrying will appear on the ramp.

Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

The next logical step is to figure out how to get all the wagons. I'm thinking empty the pit, let them get across the bridges, then refill the pit so the end wagon gets killed first. The rest panic and end up walking right over the now functioning trap. Unfortunately that means it is no longer automatic. Do wagons trigger pressure plates? Maybe set the plate to only trigger for a certain creature size, such as whatever pulls the wagons. Or the creature size of the wagon itself if it works.
Could also just give the wagons an alternate path, then close it once all are on the map so they have to path over it no matter what.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: How to automatically kill wagons
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:48:10 am »

Very interesting bug.

If you want to kill Žem all, I would suggest trying magma (as you wrote) first or making several "bumps" so wagons would die one by one ... possibly in combination with repeater that would force wagons to go through aisle of dead several times (see goblin repeater video on dfma).

If I remember corectly, someone was talking about very simplistic way of wagon killing. He (or she) just trapped them and after some time wagon "exploded".

It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:07 am »

Yeah it's a known bug.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29462.0

But we had a thread about it that contained some awesome.
I'm to lazy to look for it now but it states that it is indeed possible to set wagons on fire by "dipping" them into lava with this bug and it contains some plans on how to ignite caravans that leave your fortress, with burning horses and wagons leaving the map and everything.  ;D

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:26:11 pm »

Magma is more fun. The pack animals catch fire and leave a nice smoke screen.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:32:01 am »

...with burning horses and wagons leaving the map and everything.  ;D

I guess the next question is, will they set their destination zones on fire? I would love to see flaming wagons of booze coming from those lands exploding shortly after spawning. It might make for a good siege breaker also, just hole up inside your fort and wait for the next special delivery.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

Omnidum

• Bay Watcher
  • Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 05:40:16 am »

...with burning horses and wagons leaving the map and everything.  ;D

I guess the next question is, will they set their destination zones on fire? I would love to see flaming wagons of booze coming from those lands exploding shortly after spawning. It might make for a good siege breaker also, just hole up inside your fort and wait for the next special delivery.

I am the Boozeman, my booze is delicious.
this topic is about guys punching themselves in the balls, and nothing else

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:25 am »

That's really cool, sadly, if you come to possess items owned by another civilization and you don't properly pay for them, you will be considered a thief and come under siege, regardless of how you ended up owning those items. Even if invaders kill members of a caravan, leaving their items on the ground, you will be held responsible. This is due to the fact that the caravan's home civ simply compares how much value they sent out with how much value returned, and assumes that any negative discrepancy is your fault.

In Cagemerchant I had years and years of Human sieges because their liason got ganked by kobolds or goblins and rotted out on the fringes of my settlement.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 06:02:40 am »

This is due to the fact that the caravan's home civ simply compares how much value they sent out with how much value returned, and assumes that any negative discrepancy is your fault.

Which is actually pretty realistic when you think about it.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 06:26:04 am »

Yeah, except you can't explain that it's not your fault that the caravan chose to drive through the murderfields full of skeletal elephants and giant eagles.

I'm dying to make it so my trade road requires the caravan to drive a long distance across bridges suspended over the chasm, and have a lever that retracts the bridges so the whole caravan plummets into the chasm, disappearing forever.

Then the siege arrives and asks "WHERE DID YOU PUT THEM!??"
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:27:52 am »

Yeah, except you can't explain that it's not your fault that the caravan chose to drive through the murderfields full of skeletal elephants and giant eagles.

True, but that's both a limitation of the engine and because they don't send a Diplomat to demand to know what happened to the caravan.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 08:03:16 am »

Having some diplomacy in this game (aside from Elves demanding a wood cutting quota) would be a good idea for sure.

Also, I don't think this applies to caravans from your own civilizations.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:32:50 am »

I've already lost all my liasons to orcs, and originally my trap was designed for siege use so no worries there. Not sure why they never decided to siege because of liason loss.

I'm dying to make it so my trade road requires the caravan to drive a long distance across bridges suspended over the chasm, and have a lever that retracts the bridges so the whole caravan plummets into the chasm, disappearing forever.

Then the siege arrives and asks "WHERE DID YOU PUT THEM!??"

Actually, you'd be able to point to the wagons if you did this. They float.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.