Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do dorfs learn?  (Read 628 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Do dorfs learn?
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:11:27 am »

NEW STUFFS:
Weird. I noticed my new recruits, marksdwarves, had no ammunition though there was this big stockpile, though admittedly it was hidden off to one side. They had quivers and crossbows, but no ammunition. Then I tried something: I stationed the dwarfs inside the stockpile, and then took them off duty: lo and behold, they grabbed the ammo!

Um. They sure seem to act as if they didn't know about the ammo till I 'showed' it to them...

*mildly creeped out*

OLD:
I decided to close off my hammerer into his own room: But how do I drop food down for him? I understand it can be done by digging a hole in the roof from the next z level up, but how do I actually get the dorfs to drop food down?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:49:08 am by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping food?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:13:17 am »

Zone a garbage dump adjacent to his food pit and mark food for dumping. Your dwarves will then get around to dropping food into their at their own leisure. Make sure there's a food stockpile where the food is dumped, as the Hammerer does no hauling on his own.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:37:17 am »

Ah, that easy. Thanks!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:42:22 am »

I haven't done this specific thing before, but from my previous experiences with dumping, you'll probably have to make sure to reclaim the dumped food, since it will probably be forbidden after being dumped.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:53:34 am »

actually that's an interesting experiment: would a starving dwarf eat forbidden food?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:36:57 am »

A hungry enough dwarf will steal food from caravans, so maybe...