Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf-less  (Read 6781 times)

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf-less
« on: May 28, 2009, 02:06:48 am »

I started this fortress 8 years ago, and I still havn't got any migrants or Dwarven Caravans. Ummm what am I doing wrong?
OH DUDE ! You just copied and pasted the spambot's links !!! YOU LAZY A** !" ~Blob

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf-less
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:14:36 am »

Check the civ screen. Are there any figures there?

You probably embarked from a civ that got wiped out during world generation, so nobody will ever come.

It's an interesting challenge, however, growing a full fledged fortress from seven dwarves, so I wouldn't abandon.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:17:52 am »

It seems you're right... damn, I had lots of nice things at the fort. I guess I'll make a new world and start again.
OH DUDE ! You just copied and pasted the spambot's links !!! YOU LAZY A** !" ~Blob

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:54 am »

It seems you're right... damn, I had lots of nice things at the fort. I guess I'll make a new world and start again.
Don't. Let your Dwarves procreate and thus create a fort of 200 Dwarves.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:35:54 am »

Or just use the same world seed, use a random History seed, and re-gen.  You'll have the same map with diff civs. (They tend to not vary all that much, but enough that you'll probably get some immigrants).

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:54:49 am »

you can mod dwarves so that children grow up much faster, making the fortress viable.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:17:36 am »

Any way to make my dwarves more, eh... 'frisky'?

Oh, I also already have 2 couples.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:06:28 am »

Give them long periods of idleness in tiny meeting zones. The starting seven seem to be unusually compatible with each other, I guess, so it's merely a matter of time. You'll get a very happy pronouncement of marriage fairly quickly if they don't do any work for a while.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:21:06 am »

Oh my god, please tell me you have at least one pair of breeding cats?!

Let the cats out of the cages, seal the entrance, and let the gene puddle frenzy begin.

Welcome to Fort Gummo!

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:39:43 am »

Oh my god, please tell me you have at least one pair of breeding cats?!

Let the cats out of the cages, seal the entrance, and let the gene puddle frenzy begin.

Welcome to Fort Gummo!
It is commonly known that Dwarves lick kittens as an aphrodisiac.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:48:08 am »

Tempted to touch that last post, but moving on...

I had something similar. A dwarven civ selectable via fortress mode but not adventure mode. When I selected them via fortress mode the only unit showing on the civ screen was the king. I didn't wait long enough to see if a caravan or migrants would come. I rolled up an adventurer (and then another two because they kept getting eaten by lucky shot wolves) and sought the place out only to find that there were elves living in the former mountain home. So I checked out the legends and found out that the dwarven civ had been defeated by a goblin civ. The dwarven civ offered to surrender to the goblin civ and the goblins accepted. Later the site was conquered by the Growling Skunk Elves. Maybe when the dwarves surrendered to the goblins the only dwarf left was the king I could see on the civ list in fortress mode, or maybe he was just generated on the spot for fortress mode. Try as I might I couldn't track him down in adventure mode.

Battleguy01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 05:34:13 am »

Sorry, I don't have any cats... I have about 60 dogs though. :)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:43 pm »

Guys you must realize this has the potential to be the most epic fortress ever.
Think about it, what is immigrant? Nobles
What cant come to your fortress due to nonexistence? Immigrants
No hammerer, no baron, no tax collector, no count, no hammerer, Did I mention no hammerer?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »

Guys you must realize this has the potential to be the most epic fortress ever.

"Ever" being in about 20 dwarf-years, when enough of the 2nd generation finally grow up to provide a population.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 05:05:54 pm »

Not so much when you realize you can rebuild the civilization from scratch! You *are* the king, effectively. When some noname shows up and demands tribute, just chuck him into the pits. YOU are the one who mandates. And you know there's only so much adamantine, and it's best used for weapons.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: [1] 2 3