Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Terminator Salvation  (Read 5262 times)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terminator Salvation
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »

Just saw it, loved it, and don't get why critics keep not liking it. Marcus' story was quite moving, actions were great, and there were many scenes that remind me of the past films.
TERMINATE THE CRITICS! ;D

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Terminator Salvation
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »

No. No the story wasn't all that great.

The action was awesome though. Lots of 'splotions and shooty bits.

The one thing that pissed me off in any grand way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:01:13 pm »

The one thing that pissed me off in any grand way.
10 Seconds of the terminator is not worth the admission price. I'll rent it when it's out.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »

True. People that like only Arnold's terminators will hate this.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 03:42:50 am »

Not only was it a few seconds of Arnold, but it could only be a few seconds because they had to model him from an old mask-negative from the first movie.

How funny, I was planning to make this thread as soon as I got home.  Basically, the whole time I was watching, my mind kept waffling between "holy crap this is awful" and "dude, it's the Terminator, not 12 Angry Men".  I guess I'm just not entertained by the same stuff as when I was a kid, but I did like the actual robot related parts.  And the opportunity to play professional movie critic in a crowded theater.

My theory is, a writer went on an eight hour TVTropes binge (like ya do), and banged out the entire screenplay in one sitting.  Every single move, line, and scene was telegraphed better than Samuel Morse could have done.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:54 am »

Every single move, line, and scene was telegraphed better than Samuel Morse could have done.

A thousand points for you.
!!&!!

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:17:10 pm »

I liked it. Might be different then the others, but I liked it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:45:27 pm »

None of the previous movies were known for the quality of writing, but that script was straight out of a Sci-Fi Original or something.  And the movie jumped around way too much for any of the locations to feel like real places.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »

I liked it.

It's gotten a lot of criticism on how dry the characters were, but when you think of how long they had been at war (something like 15 years), it isn't surprising that they would become more machine-like and  lacked "heart" (which Marcus conveniently provided in the end).

One of the things that bothered me though was when Conner broke into Skynet through some control panel.  Isn't it a little strange that the entire organization relied on a computer, but still needed someone to push buttons to open a door?  It seems like Skynet wouldn't need a Human User Interface since the computer "brain" controlled everything.

I'm really hoping that there is an extended edition because it was quite obvious that they cut a lot out.  Examples of badly cut scenes: Conner's argument with Ironside's character, the scene where Moon takes off her shirt in the rain, and not a single reference to the fact that Kate Brewster was walking around pregnant.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:25 pm »

One of the things that bothered me though was when Conner broke into Skynet through some control panel.  Isn't it a little strange that the entire organization relied on a computer, but still needed someone to push buttons to open a door?  It seems like Skynet wouldn't need a Human User Interface since the computer "brain" controlled everything.

I thought the same thing about all the stairs.  Why would a robot factory need stairs?  The impression I got from the bulldozers and such was that the Skynet central facility thing was the (expanded on) original factory/lab from T3.  Ergo User Interfaces.

Not that there's not plenty of other things about Skynet that seem logical for an AI to do.  Like, why even bother making the grunt robots look like metal skeletons?  Why not fix the cyborg guy with a manual override switch that he can't just pull out?  Why the stated emphasis on short ranged and melee weaponry when it can just nuke the hell out of everyone some more, or other safe options?  My theory (in an effort to make sense of a setting that's fundamentally not supposed to) is that Skynet really is artificially intelligent; namely, it's insane.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:19 pm »

WHERE'S THE FREAKIN DELOREAN.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 07:19:25 pm »

Next movie.  It's a franchise, you see.

Man, wouldn't that be awesome?  Skynet figures out that sending naked Austrian bodybuilders is stupid, so it invents the flux capacitor and then everything's all like "holy crap time traveling evil robots in a wicked car!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »

Combining Terminator and Back to the Future would be awesome.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »

You two need your own sitcom.

MoonDancer

• Bay Watcher
  • Figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07:31 pm »

That's just wrong on so many levels. Combining those two...not even going to touch that one.
Can I kill him? No? What about eating him? Can I eat him? No? Your no fun!

Go away! Your stupidity might be contagious.

http://karnash.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4