Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's get a Diablo 2 group going, for nostalgia's sake  (Read 4236 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Let's get a Diablo 2 group going, for nostalgia's sake
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 04:58:13 am »

I like Dungeon Siege more than D2.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:09:28 am »

I tried playing it a while back, gotta say: did not age very well. Highest resolution was like 800x600 and even that looked jaggy and muddled to me
I think you can set it to 1024*768, but it could be that you have to do it outside of game in some obscure setup program that runs on chicken blood. But it works.

I kind of enjoyed playing d2, if we could get a half decent group going, I'd probably join in. But I actually hope my body heals fast enough so I can go outside again, same with nwn  ;D Dont wanna play games with weather that nice...

Speaking of healing: I always used to play a healer class in d2, which got a lot of people to hate me, in public games :D There's no real room for a healer in d2, but wtf I enjoyed it. Paladin with meditation aura (which regenerates everybodies mana). Meditation triggers the healing aura (which regenerates health) and the friggin runestick I forgot the name. Basically does the same trick, so you run around with stacked healing aura. Fire healing bolts for good measure.

I think I got something wrong... I think the stick has meditation active and the pala cleansing, but both trigger healing, so you get double healing aura. No skill description tells you it works, but it does  ;D

My love for you will never run out due to you being a healer in D2.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 05:26:09 am »

I just recently played Diablo II. I got to level 49 on normal alone with a werewolf druid (By increasing the monster difficulty, of course), but stopped after I beat it. I could've gone on into Nightmare and Hell, but I realized I wouldn't gain anything by doing so, since I was doing it all by my lonesome.

I'd be willing to try it again, but no promises.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:48 am »

The only thing I didn't like about Diablo 2 is how it alters the story of the first Diablo in a rather poor plot twist that makes little sense in the perspective of the first Diablo. (That and I didn't know how much you actually rely on sets until I had one.)

Honestly why did I bother to actually read the manual if they would just wave a magic wand and change a lot of it?

Ohh well it was fun anyhow.

Ohh does anyone know what happened to the Witch from the first diablo? She is the only one I personally wouldn't think would have been killed. Afterall she has tons of spells, potions, and is the furthest away from the location.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 07:02:16 am »

My D2 disks were lost/broken so I illegally downloaded D2 + LoD and then bought legit CD-keys from randyrun (I don't really care about their MMORPG gold farming etc business but those kinds of sites selling legal CD-keys are a handy way to acquire them) to play on Battle.net. I.e. legal warez (I support!) :P

But Europe ladder is raped by rampaging bots so I regrettably soon stopped playing. But how bad is the bot invasion in other ladders? And HC ladder.

It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:49 am »

Spam bots bug you for the first minute on USEast, but then it's totally clear.

I already posted my account name, so you can either friend me or tell me your account/character name here (If you're on USEast).

If you're not on USEast, which server do you guys recommend migrating to? Or do you want to stick on Open bnet since we're just shitting around anyhow? (not really concerned about ladder ranking)

Most of the fun is getting better gear, pvp, and then trying crazy ass builds just for the laughs, like a healer. ;)

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 07:43:29 am »

Spam bots bug you for the first minute on USEast, but then it's totally clear.

I already posted my account name, so you can either friend me or tell me your account/character name here (If you're on USEast).

If you're not on USEast, which server do you guys recommend migrating to? Or do you want to stick on Open bnet since we're just shitting around anyhow? (not really concerned about ladder ranking)

Most of the fun is getting better gear, pvp, and then trying crazy ass builds just for the laughs, like a healer. ;)

I don't mean spam bots, I mean leveling bots :P -> Baal run #3512 (made by HammerBot) anyone?

EDIT: I just spammed the thread because I was curious , good luck finding non-bored D2 players ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:25:16 am by funkytrix »
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 09:02:19 am »

I tell you, check out Eastern sun or Median XL mods.
A lot harder and a lot more items and stuff to do.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:55 am »

What? That game had the most boring item generation algorithm ever AND the most boring class system too. Basically it got the two iconic features that make a good hack and slash wrong :(

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 10:18:00 am »

Sweet, D2 definitely has to be one of my favourite games of all time. I have Lod. I think we should use a password protected game on open Bnet so that we don't lose our characters if we go inactive for 90 days (I lost a lot of characters that way).

suggestion,
 game name: Armok
password:Bloodgod
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 10:34:20 am »

But DS had a freeform classless character system, auto-attack, and posed some challenge even for large teams. I don't care how good Diablo 2's plot or balancing is, when you can (and do, regularly) single-handedly take on a hundred high-level demons and win without using more than two potions, that's not really a great deal of fun, it's just torturing the mouse. Ramping up the difficulty works, but only for so much. Despite its flaws, I like DS. DS2 began to work with skill trees, and I liked that less for some reason. But maybe I just disliked the constant running through familiar territories for disapointing side-quests.
Still, case in point - despite not actually playing either of the two, I keep Dungeon Siege 2 installed. I like to rush in with the dwarven berserker (Urist Barrelsmasher, no less) while the three nature mages try their damnedest to keep him alive. It feels like a MMORPG made right.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 10:51:24 am »

What? That game had the most boring item generation algorithm ever AND the most boring class system too. Basically it got the two iconic features that make a good hack and slash wrong :(

But dungeon siege (2, maybe 1 too, but I never played it) had something that elevates the game above EVERY other party based action rpg out there:

Follow mode with auto attack/auto defense.

This made the game not only playable but also ENJOYABLE on lan parties... I mean, just imagine the downtime when 4 people are spelunking and getting drunk/baked/stuffed with pizza and cheetos. SOMEBODY has to get rid of SOMETHING they stuffed into themselves basically at all times. No matter what orifice is being used, but something is always leaving somebody, somehow.

The days of the whole party being stopped because of that are finally over. Need to piss/puke/take a dump/get a new beer/call the girl and convince her you're not doing somebody else? Just call out "I'm in follow mode!" and do your thing.

Admittedly, the last lan party I went to had only one guy playing in the end, and 3 guys doing whatever  ;D

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 11:26:16 am »

I tried playing it a while back, gotta say: did not age very well. Highest resolution was like 800x600 and even that looked jaggy and muddled to me

I own both Diablo 2 Battle Chest and Sacred 1 + Underworld & 2. I played both recently, and I have to say I still like Diablo 2 more.

Sacred 2 is pretty, sure... but I don't like how it restricts the amount of active CA you can prepare like that. Sacred 1 gives you five choices when you reach level 20 (IIRC), but in Sacred 2 it is reduced to 4. Each character class has 3 aspects, each aspect containing 4 different CAs. That's forcing you to choose 4 out of 12 attack moves. Using combo you can get 4 different moves into a single slot, but they don't benefit from attack speed increase. If your moves take a long time to execute, you'll probably need to drink potions while the combo is executing. The game's all about CA, and they only allow you to use 4 of them! And the system forces you to keep most of your CA levels low to be able to reduce the regen timer.

The enemies in Diablo 2 is also more fun to fight than in Sacred 2. Not only the types are more varied in D2, but they deploy different tactics and have more special abilities. In S2 there is only three types: melee, ranged and spell. Which all end up doing melee with you soon after.

I don't have any characters on the realm (I don't play online frequent enough to be worth it). But I'm in a different time zone than most of you (Hong Kong GMT+8), so my chance of playing in the group is low.

I tried playing on the open servers before - USWest is good, but USEast is completely unplayable. I can't even talk properly if joining a game in USEast, eventually dropping out of the game. Same for USEast players if I host.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:30:29 am by kcwong »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 12:38:39 pm »

Over the years my attention span when it comes to gaming has dropped considerably. If a game can't hold my interest then I won't waste my time with it, I have better things to do. Dungeon Siege II was one of those games that wasn't able to keep me interested. I never finished the game once, it was just mindless hack&slash. Diablo 2 on the other hand was able to hold my attention, I played through it several times. I can see the appeal of DS2 at a lan party though, but anything is more fun when you have a room full of other people.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »

DS 1 was fun, but i never kept going back to play again like diablo 2.
DS 2 was like 1, but less fun. got boring rather fast even on multiplayer.
Sacred 2 felt like a mmorpg without the multiplayer part, played through it once with a friend and then we kinda though "why do we play this?" and quit.

But dungeon siege (2, maybe 1 too, but I never played it) had something that elevates the game above EVERY other party based action rpg out there:

Follow mode with auto attack/auto defense.

So. DS 2 is a good game because you can let the game play by it self?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4