Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rig the Election  (Read 1447 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rig the Election
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:37 pm »

My current mayor is also a legendary appraiser. Normally this would be great, except I hate having the mayor the same as the trader. I like seeing a guy run around whos only job is trader, who spends the rest of his year at the Zoo.
Anyways, I know mayors get elected. I heard it has something to do with his number of friends. Is there anyway I can influence the election so someone else gets elected?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rig the Election
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »

Raise their social skills as high as possible.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »

No but I don't care who is going to be elected all I want is for this guy to NOT get elected.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:03:50 pm »

Then simply prevent him from having idle time to socialize. If another dwarf gets better social skills, he'll be elected in that dwarf's place.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »

Wait for some children to grow up. They have an annoying tendency to get elected mayor. Or pick out some random peasant and deactivate all his labors.

And it's not social skills that determine who gets elected mayor. Far as I can tell, it's the amount of friends, and some other random factors.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »

Agreed, all.

There are factors that ~seem~ to influence the outcome (no one has broken the game code on this one, afaik), but there also are either unknowns or a noticeable random factor as well.  Occasionally a dwarf w/ few/no friends is elected over a popular candidate, or one w/ no social skills over Mr. Personality.

But your goal, to have a highly social dwarf who is NOT mayor, seems at odds with the common wisdom.

(However, if it is random, from what little is known - you might try savescumming, determining when the election will be held, and then running it again and again until it works the way you want.  Annoying and time consuming, but perhaps the only way.)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »

Just appoint a different trader. He'll be legendary in about 10 trades.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:12:53 am »

if you don't want to lose out on training a new trader you can appoint a new one, have him go to "trade" to the depot, open the trading screen, close it, and get your real trader to do the tradin'.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Waefre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:24:47 am »

Draft the mayor you don't want re-elected in the military when election time rolls around (early/midsummer?). Dwarves won't elect active soldiers (otherwise, your mayor would always be Fortress or Royal Guard).