Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freeware Friday re-visited  (Read 1121 times)

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Freeware Friday re-visited
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:10:19 pm »

Not sure if anyone saw or posted this already, but Mr. Murff lends a nice secondary review of Dwarf Fortress in his look back at the year's best freeware:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/05/08/freeware-friday-one-year-reflection/

Blurb:

Can there ever be a "best of" freeware list that does not include Tarn Adams' fantasy epic Dwarf Fortress? It's more open-ended and feature-filled than 95% of retail games, and the ability to craft your own stories within the game world both as the leader of a fortress and as an interpid adventurer is pure gaming crack. While the interface puts people off to the game itself, those that can push past will find a gameplay experience so satisfying that one must wonder if the need to manage dwarves is a primal urge.

The reason Dwarf Fortress made this list, besides the fact that it is a phenomenal game, is because over this past year it has been updated countless times. It may still be in alpha status, but it is more complete than most games could ever wish to be. Dwarf Fortress is the game that every person thinks about, but only a few people could ever create. Thankfully, Tarn is one of those people, and his continual updates have fixed countless bugs and added new features, and in general expanded Dwarf Fortress so much since it was written about.

Just thought I'd share it with you all (and Toady.)

;D

EDIT: Actually, he's written several articles on the game itself, for a while updating it with every major release from last year... I have a bad feeling I may have posted a link that everyone already knew about.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:14:10 pm by schm0 »
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeware Friday re-visited
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:24:34 am »

if you've posted. meh. dont' worry about it. its good to see that DF has finally entered the mainstream.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:39:09 am »

His first Freeware Friday article on Dwarf Fortress was what got me interested in the game.  The way that he talked about what could be done in the game kept me trying to learn how to play it.  Glad to see that he has written another.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:22:49 am »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i

Thank god I had to get up to use the bathroom; I only lost 20 minutes this time.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i
Thank god I had to get up to use the bathroom; I only lost 20 minutes this time.

Dang, I lost two hours and now it's 3:40 AM.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:54:25 am »

will find a gameplay experience so satisfying that one must wonder if the need to manage dwarves is a primal urge.

Ahahah. When I first heard of the game, I was trying to find an English translation of the SNES game "Chaos Seed", which is probably comparable to Dungeon Keeper.

Unlike some, I think what really calmed me down through the learning stage of the game was the beautiful music accompanying your work. It fits the game so amazingly well, slightly melancholy but determined.