Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: One Dwarf Army  (Read 1900 times)

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Dwarf Army
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:20 pm »

Simple question: What's the best way to have a single dwarf fight off entire Orc sieges?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Army
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:02:56 pm »

With a lever.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:03:39 pm »

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:06:33 pm »

ROFLOL...
easy...
my miner lost his pet cat then was chased around a bit.
got pissed and killed the entire siege.
i felt really sorry for those orks.
he mined 3 levels in full plate armor by himself.
Art is a Blast

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »

Legendary + 5 Marksdwarf. With Adamantine armor and a quiver and a hand full of bolts.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »

A Peasant

Who's RAW has been modified so that the body temperature is 12000 degrees
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:42 pm »

If you want to do it via melee combat, then you should train the dwarf up to legendary in as much stuff as possible (for stat-ups), and in the following specific skills:

* Wrestling (for dodging)
 * Shield use (for blocking; a good shield-user is nearly invulnerable to strikes)
 * Armor use (for speed in combat)
 * Hammering (hammers don't get stuck in enemies, and therefore your dwarf is unlikely to lose their weapon)

Then you just kit him out with the best gear you can muster; masterwork adamantine is of course the ideal, but steel should be entirely adequate. If you can manage it, put the fight somewhere with limited line of sight so that enemy archers can't shoot him as easily.

But yeah, if your actual problem is "I have one dwarf, they have thirty orcs, what do I do?" the answer is a lever-based deathtrap. A single dwarf can construct a 100% foolproof deathtrap without ever getting into line of sight of the orcs if he has a pick and enough time. I recommend the "massive fall" trap type -- dig a deep pit, put a bridge over the top, and hook it up to a lever. Let orcs onto the bridge a few at a time using other bridges to control flow (don't use floodgates; they'll deconstruct if there's a unit on them when they close), then pull the lever. A deep enough fall (10 z-levels should do it) will kill the orcs, leaving their equipment behind to be safely retrieved.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:39:48 pm »

Ok, I'll try that then. I'm just trying to have one dwarf fight off entire sieges. Won't I need two dwarves to train though?

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:49:01 pm »

Ok, I'll try that then. I'm just trying to have one dwarf fight off entire sieges. Won't I need two dwarves to train though?

If you insist on having one dwarf with melee abilities to beat up your foes, I recommend cage traps.  Lots and lots of cages, and a reasonable array of traps, with spotter animals (stray dogs are fine) to make sure the orcs hit them.

Once you have caged creatures, build a lever, build the cage in a nicely sealed-off room, and station your dwarf in there.  Connect the cage to the lever, mark the caged critter's gear for dumping and wait for him to be stripped, lock the door, have another dwarf pull the lever, and pray that the opponent doesn't get lucky.  After the fight ends, deconstruct the lever to get back the mechanism put in there when the cage was connected.

Repeat, tediously.

Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »

I did this once.

Legendary Hammerdwarf, wrestler, armor user, shield user.

Had an artifact adamantine plate mail, artifact gauntlet, artifact high boot.  Everything else master quality.

He got around 30 or 40 kills before the rest ran off.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »

Actually, even an untrained marksdwarf from an elevated position with fortifications can kill a lot of orcs. Strangely, orc snipers and goblin crossbowmen never shoot upwards. Just make sure he has enough bolts.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:08 pm »

Lies.  I have had some gobbo snipers take shots at my marksdwarves.  Not that any were hit...
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:24 pm »

I did this once.

Legendary Hammerdwarf, wrestler, armor user, shield user.

Had an artifact adamantine plate mail, artifact gauntlet, artifact high boot.  Everything else master quality.

He got around 30 or 40 kills before the rest ran off.

Any wounds?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:12:01 pm »

Not necessarily. You could trap a REALLY large amount of wild animals/goblins/orcs/..., pit them one by one against your Dwarf, who is equipped with masterpiece leather armour, steel/adamantine chain mail AND plate mail (and if you really have adamantine to spare, clothing from the cyan rock), masterpiece Steel/adamantine shield and a really bad hammer (no quality wooden crossbow without any bolts -35 damage per hit: 70 for the crossbow, ties 50% for the wood-) to maximize the amount of needed hits (and thus the amount of exp per animal) And then, wait until he's legendary in all said skills. You might want to add in swimming for an added bonus, but apparently, that's a real bitch to train. After he's done, give him his real weapon: a masterpiece/artefact steel/adamantine  war hammer.

But before you do this, you could have him do the books of your fortress, a guaranteed way to quickly gain attributes. Next, move him to dry pumping and have him end with engraving. Have him wear his armour during pre-training to gain that handy armour user skill quickly.

Anyway, here's a nice read-up on how to train your Dwarves.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:05 pm »

Its fun to take something trainable, say dogs, then start caging them in a closable courtyard. Trap the enemy in the courtyard and pull the lever (make sure the cage is hooked up to a lever) and watch the war animals spill out onto the enemy.
Pages: [1] 2