Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarvy burial chamber  (Read 1743 times)

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Dwarvy burial chamber
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:00 am »

Urist Strongbeard the Hammer of Might, my mightiest warrior, who decapitated dozens of goblins and orcs passed on, mortally wounding a dragon by himself in the process. I have a decent idea for a tomb dedicted to him now, and I need your opinions. The room is a 6x6 room with steel walls, the entire floor covered with steel plating. I plan on engraving the room and fill it with steel statues and of course a masterwork steel coffin.
Then I plan on filling the entire tomb with magma. A steel does not melt in magma, both the statues as well as the engravings should last. Using stockpile orders, I would fill the room with all the goblin bones, skulls and the skull of the dragon he killed before submerging it all in magma. Opinions? Suggestions?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Dwarvy burial chamber
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50:10 am »

Make it 5x5 or 7x7 so the coffin can be in the middle.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50:46 am »

Make it 5x5 or 7x7 so the coffin can be in the middle.
Good call, will do.

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:52:01 am »

I recall a post I read a little while ago about a Urist Strongbeard who was a King, it seems the Strongbeard name has been carried on.

On-topic, this burial chamber sounds truly dwarfy, just make sure you get the coffin set up before everything else so as to avoid Urist decaying in the open air

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:57:12 am by DI7789 »
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:56:27 am »

I recall a post I read a little while abo about a Urist Strongbeard who was a King, it seems the Strongbeard name has been carried on.

On-topic, this burial chamber sounds truly dwarfy, just make sure you get the coffin set up before everything else so as to avoid Urist decaying in the open air
Yes, he was my king. That's actually a fun story. My king ended up having a son whom he also called Urist.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:56:47 am »

Actually, if he degrades into bones before burial then the bones won't pop out of the grave after the magma has flooded the tomb. Seems after a body decays inside a coffin the bones come out. Alternatively you could just not fill the tomb until the bones have popped out and you have a chance to put them back in.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:00:31 am »

(Dammit - stop posting! I tried responding to the very first OP! 'Course, I'm also playing the game, so... anyway...)

If you have any adamantine, even 1 would be approp.  Maybe for the coffin itself, or an adamantine axe, as a burial offering?

Make the dragon skull a totem first, of course. Manipulate the decorating material as best you can. 

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:04:20 am »

How about decorating the coffin with every available metal, bone, gem and whatnot. If necessary, import rock crystals (for crystal glass), other gems and unobtainable metals. Save-scum until everything is a masterpiece. If you can spare the resources, do the same with the statues.

Edit: don't forget to put his favourite items made from his favourite materials in it.And should he like a certain animal, cage it and put it in there too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:29:44 am by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04:26 pm »

I plan on engraving the room

Can you even engrave man-made walls?

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:34 pm »

Far as I know, you can't. Perhaps it can be modded in or something? /shrug

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

Magma will not melt bones? If yes I would suggest make 2 connected rooms - first with bones and bone totems, in second submerged coffin.

Also make the lava room 2 or 3 z-levels tall and put coffin on ramp or something - so it is 1 z-level above floor.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:39:17 pm »

I'm fairly certain magma will melt bones, unless they're the bones of a fire-proof critter. (Always end up with a fire imp corpse or two in the magma pipe. Precious bolts I'll never claim!)

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »

Far as I know, you can't. Perhaps it can be modded in or something? /shrug
You can engrave man-made floors. And from what I heard, if you engrave all floor tiles in an artificial room, the walls are automatically engraved. Though I may be mistaken

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »

Personally, I think a multistory underground alter with the coffin on top of a pedestal... fuck it, I'll just draw it.

And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:49 pm »

Make sure it's better than any nobles' tombs - screw'em.
Pages: [1] 2