Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Master Race  (Read 828 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
The Master Race
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:22:10 am »

No, not like that.  What I'm talking about is an idea that has been twirling around in my head for some time, and I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts (and, if someone were to try it out for themselves, it would save me the trouble of testing it personally).

Here's the setup:  You create a new race that is immortal, and rather tough.  They also have access to enhanced materials and items (a matter of the METAL_PREF tag and some custom weapons/armor), and are in general rather badass.  However, they have one major shortcoming, and that is that they are incapable of breeding.

Through raids and wars and what-have-you, the race is inevitably doomed to extinction.  In an attempt to preserve themselves, they turn to snatching children from the other races, teaching them their ways and incorporating them into their society.

In essence, the gimmick is that you end up with a mixed batch of the standard races who have been  given access to improved resources and technology, who follow the cultural edicts of the first race, and who may possibly still follow the lead of the last surviving immortals.  If my understanding of the system is correct, then the captured races will be considered part of the new civilization, and thus have access to all the goodies, while also having access to a birth rate.  This will also allow for races to fight their own kind, if the cards are played right.

Any thoughts on this?  And if this post seems a bit hazy, it's because I'm writing this after midnight, a habit I really should drop.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Master Race
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:42:41 am »

No, not like that.  What I'm talking about is an idea that has been twirling around in my head for some time, and I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts (and, if someone were to try it out for themselves, it would save me the trouble of testing it personally).

Here's the setup:  You create a new race that is immortal, and rather tough.  They also have access to enhanced materials and items (a matter of the METAL_PREF tag and some custom weapons/armor), and are in general rather badass.  However, they have one major shortcoming, and that is that they are incapable of breeding.

Through raids and wars and what-have-you, the race is inevitably doomed to extinction.  In an attempt to preserve themselves, they turn to snatching children from the other races, teaching them their ways and incorporating them into their society.

In essence, the gimmick is that you end up with a mixed batch of the standard races who have been  given access to improved resources and technology, who follow the cultural edicts of the first race, and who may possibly still follow the lead of the last surviving immortals.  If my understanding of the system is correct, then the captured races will be considered part of the new civilization, and thus have access to all the goodies, while also having access to a birth rate.  This will also allow for races to fight their own kind, if the cards are played right.

Any thoughts on this?  And if this post seems a bit hazy, it's because I'm writing this after midnight, a habit I really should drop.

Aren't sieges spawned from nowhere, bar local leaders? So you'd probably end up with no functional difference in dwarf mode. Would be awesome in adventure mode though i'm sure.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:49:14 am »

Hmm, might work. Give it a shot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:55:29 am »

I created something like this myself a while back, I think I still have it hanging around somewhere.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:57:54 am »

Aren't sieges spawned from nowhere, bar local leaders? So you'd probably end up with no functional difference in dwarf mode. Would be awesome in adventure mode though i'm sure.

Not true, snatched dwarves can siege you and I've noticed one goblins grunt keeps showing up in the sieges against me. I've noticed because his last name is "incestanus"

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:32:30 am »

Not true, snatched dwarves can siege you and I've noticed one goblins grunt keeps showing up in the sieges against me. I've noticed because his last name is "incestanus"

Often snatched dwarves will be local leaders, sure. That's why I said 'bar local leaders'. Have you ever been sieged by *just* snatched dwarves though? Without any goblins?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:38:20 am »

If you check, and this may be a coincidence, but the grunts seem to return each time as well.