Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: World Gen Extremes\/Leaderboard  (Read 33731 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gen Extremes\/Leaderboard
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 11:10:42 pm »

Smew: I did it with d11, and with the Legendary Lands mod, though that shouldn't matter.

Byakugan: embark with a bunch of stone or stone blocks, and hope that you don't start out in LOS of any spiders. Immediately build a wall that contains your wagon and one other space (for a down-staircase). Dig down, start fort. You can then dig your way to a safer entrance; you can pop up in random places and put cage traps out; you can just stay sealed up there and let the outside world forget about you.

I find I have better luck with this if I make certain the grasslands biome is selected before embarking -- it puts me right next to the pit, but for some reason every time I embarked with the mountain biome selected, I immediately got swarmed.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »

Smew: I did it with d11, and with the Legendary Lands mod, though that shouldn't matter.
Surprisingly, it does, d11 seems to have some fundamental differences from 40d, so much so that... well, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »

Wow... I think that has to be one of the worst ways to begin. Then again, if harvested without getting attacked, it's actually really good for value.

I think I mentioned something like that in a different topic.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 11:59:07 pm »

Smew: I was aware that d11 had different gen results (I was referring to the relevance of having a mod installed)...but are you saying that the same save file, in d11, gives different results than in 40d? As in, no re-gen, you open the file in one version and it has totally different terrain?

Because if so, that's really bizarre.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01:53 am »

That's exactly what I thought, it really is bizarre, no re-gen or anything, I know if I embark in d11, save, and then copy the save to 40d it works, but this is just weird, I didn't think it would change like this. D:

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:33 pm »

You want a 3x3 with features? This do?

That's a chasm, pit, underground river, magma pipe, adamantine, sand, and sedementary flux. The mountainous rock layers aren't anything special (what's displayed is for the grasslands) but given the density of features I think you'll live. :)

Parameters:

Edit: I should note that when I genned this world using the Legendary Lands mod, there were three Giant Shadow Spiders at the top of the chasm. So, uh, have fun?

Second edit: regenned and re-embarked. This is what the map looked like about ten turns after unpausing:
I think that you should upload your game file, not only are there differences between 40d and 40d11 but I think once you start adding mods into the mix things also change there, especally if theres new stone types.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »

Smew managed to generate the game, and odds are he wasn't using mods (just because most people don't). So I doubt that the mod has an impact in this case. It doesn't change any of the base layers; just what ores, etc. are generated in them.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 06:22:01 pm »

Actually I did get legendary lands just for that site. haha

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:01 am »

I successfully genned that world using only the Orc mod, i just tried again with my untouched vanilla copy of D11 and it successfully genned again.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 03:21:54 pm »

Is it normal to have a massive chasm stretching from one side of the map to the other, which is clearly full of GCS's due to the huge amount of webs that are appearing all down it, AND a bottomless pit which seems to be full of almost everything?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »

I successfully genned that world using only the Orc mod, i just tried again with my untouched vanilla copy of D11 and it successfully genned again.
Could you perchance zip and upload that vanilla copy?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:48 pm »

Is it normal to have a massive chasm stretching from one side of the map to the other, which is clearly full of GCS's due to the huge amount of webs that are appearing all down it, AND a bottomless pit which seems to be full of almost everything?
Mind uploading that particular save? I just got a new megaproject idea, and it's a combo orc/human/elf/gobbo shredder.

Edit: Or just what mods you have, which would let me gen it like that.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »

Ack; i just noticed that my first gen of the world was on my modded version of D11.

Vanilla D11 does not gen correctly, dammit!

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »

Hey does anyone know what kind of HFS is on that 3x3 map?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 08:27:31 pm »

Hey does anyone know what kind of HFS is on that 3x3 map?
The minute I get a big enough defense force to tell ya, I will do so. hahah
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6