Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic vs Machine  (Read 926 times)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Magic vs Machine
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:47 pm »

I've had this idea bouncing around my head for a while and I want to know what people think about it. it's no were complte and needs work, I might get round to doing graphics but as it's my first 'proper' mod I want to make sure that the data is all good. Also any and all help will be appreceated

The main thing about this mod is to make to new races, both dwarfs some kind of offshots of the main dwarfs.

Mechanicle Dwarfs (need a name):
one use'es machines, clockwork and steam, things that can be done in dwarf fortress without adding to much. I'm thinking about a group of dwarfs that breack away from the moantinhome because they had to stick to a load of rules, loads of papers to file out whatever. it's mostly a bunch of dwarfs that bulid machines to fight and do work for them. There can be a variaty of machines, ranging from things like small haulers all the way to huge fighting machines all needing varying amounts of stuff to build.

The machines will probably be made up of mechanisims, non-economic material and a 'think box'.

'Think boxs' will be made from from a mechanics workshop, utilising dwarven know who and a lot of luck to make, which makes the machines able to move without having a dwarf pulling various levers to make things happen. They will have to be made out of metal, better and rarer metal will be needed to make better 'think box'es' which will be needed to make better machines.

Mechanisims will be able to be made out of metal with a higer level in mechanics multiple mechinisims can be made out of one rock/bar. Also maybe using gears, springs etc in machine creation instead

The Machines themselfs will be made in a Machine Yard (if it's possible to make workshops) were the various pieces will be combined to make the machines, probably add spanner as work item. The machines cannot change from military to labour and machines cannot make machines, this stops people from making a machine, killing off there dwarfs and having an armt of unexaushable, non eating, non breathing, non complaining fortress. As these machines will be imensly tough they will some times malfunction, creation a pile of junk which can be salvaged to regain parts. better machines be less likely to malfuntion as better quality parts are used and masterpeice machines will never malfuntion. To stop the army malfunctioning they are really unlikly to do so and no machine will breack it's fighting so you don't get you'r army destroyed from bob-a-job work.

There are two main types, workers and fighters. Workers act like dwarfs who aren't in military carrying out jobs and the such, posability of them gaining exp but not to legendary level? Fighters are military dwarfs, varying grades of machine give out varying degress of combat degree like a small grunt type that are really easy to make and easy to kill, while you got huge, complex machines that can take tons of punishment and deal it back out.

The dwarfs will only be make up a small fragment of the fortress (if that's possible) something like a third max. Also if it's possible can you make new jobs and nobles? thinking about adding specific job for machine building and a noble class like Grand Master Engineer.

As a lot of metal is needed I'm thinking of increasing the amount of metal found and were it is found

Rune Casters:
These guys don't use magic like elves they use runes, which are stone/metal that has been forged in such a way that magic is captued inside the metal. These guys got kicked out of the mountainhome because magic was seen as Elven and not Dwarvish.

Adding a new job, rune smithing, which is done in a rune forge by a rune smith who turns stones/gems into rune stones/gems that are set in weapons and bolts giving them a huge power boost. Metal is made into runic [metals name] that can be used to craft weapons that has the same effect as stones but is more powerful. More uses needed.

I'm not sure if it's possible to get a selection of which race to play so making both playable, like releasing seperate data files for them would be an idea

An idea of using rune stones in alchemy?

TL;DR:
Add 2 new races
-one uses machines
-one uses rune magic

Machince guys:
-need name
-make machines using gears, mechanisims, non-eco material and 'think box'
   -mechanisims can be made out of other material, more can be made by highly skilled mechanic
   -think boxes made in mechanics workshop and is what make the machine think semi inderpendatly
-varity of machines
-2 main groups military and labour
   -labour is like civillian dwarf, but can't  gain exp/ can't reach high level of exp?
   -military are military dwarfs that come in varitys of grunt, standard, elite...
-machines made in machine yard
   -spanner needed
-machines cannot make machines
-machines will sometimes breack down
-dwarfs themselves will make up a small section of toatal fortress
-new job for macking machines and possibly a noble
-make metal more abundant in all areas

Rune Casters:
-use runes
   -made in rune forge
   -made by a rune smith
-stones, gems and metal bars can be 'runeated'
   -stones/gems become rune stone/gem and can be set in weapons and bolts, giving attack bonus
   -metal is made into runic [metal] and made into weapons bolts that have same effect as setting runes but is a lot more effective
      -i.e. copper -> runic copper
-new noble
-more uses of rune smithing needed possibly alchamy?

any way I would like your thoughts on this, if it worth doing and suggestions are also welcome. Help even more so
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:35:16 pm by Metal Militia »
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic vs Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:19:11 pm »

Fun ideas, but unfortunately the mechanical dwarves are currently impossible. Most of the workshop-related things are hardcoded, and you can't get more than one race in a fortress without memory hacking (All I know about it is that the Dwarf Companion tool allows you to switch the allegiance of enemies, your own dwarves, or merchants.)

The runes might work to a degree, but I think the most you could do with it is make separate runeweapons and/or runemetals that only the Rune Caster dwarves could make. It would use normal craft skills though, and you'd get normal weapons with runemetals and runeweapons with normal metals, unless you disabled the normal weapons for the Rune Caster dwarves. It'd be easy to make the runemetals need both ore and gemstones, though.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:29:56 pm »

oh crud I left part of what you said out

FIXING FRIST POST fixed

Nirur Torir:hmm thats annoying, I might scrap that part and just start that bit again or find a wrok around
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:34:17 pm by Metal Militia »

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »

yeah, unfortunately pretty much everything about the mechanical dwarves is impossible. Maybe some of it will be doable next version.

It would be possible to create an approximation of the rune dwarves using the smelter however. Although, a lot of mods already do very similar things already.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:09 pm »

I would call the first type of dwarfs oriented towards machines "Artificers" as I believe that is the semi-established name for this D&D, though in D&D the Artificer is semi-magical and your interpretation is entirely non-magical.

The created 'golem' like creatures could be called 'Clanks' to distinguish them from golems which are magically animated.  Clank is a term used in the Girl Genius web comic for similar non-magical steam-punk automatons.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »

Alright, holdup: while you can't truly implement magic and amchines like you want to, you don't have to create new races. You need new entities. Simply copy the Dwarves, and change around their personality prefs, habitat prefs (if you think that's neccessary) and engraving prefs. Finish off by giving them ethics that directly conflict eachother, so you can rely on them going to war. Then add new items and creatures as you see fit, as well as what pets they will use. For example, you can make the magic race unable to make some metals, but give them pet trolls (you can prevent others from having this by way of creature alignment- make them evil just so you can exploit the use evil pets tag). Give the mechanical dwarves robot vermin that come from a smelter reaction. Then give the mechanical dwarves, say, large crossbows that are built with one mechasm and do extra damage. You can also make them use different graphical tilesets to be completely clear. Then just pick which one you want for fortress mode!

It won't *quite* live up to your ideals, I think, but it should be some consolation.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:07:38 am »

yer I was expecting as much, I might do just the rune casters and just stake claim to the idea of the engineers.

When I get back from work I think I'll start mucking about with files and change the first post.

Thanks Sensei for your ideas, Impaler for names but I'm not gonna use them as they are used by other stuff that doesn't fit

And Blakmane can you tell me the other mods so I can check them out so I don't do something that looks like a direct copy

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:12:32 am »

yer I was expecting as much, I might do just the rune casters and just stake claim to the idea of the engineers.

When I get back from work I think I'll start mucking about with files and change the first post.

Thanks Sensei for your ideas, Impaler for names but I'm not gonna use them as they are used by other stuff that doesn't fit

And Blakmane can you tell me the other mods so I can check them out so I don't do something that looks like a direct copy

I know that my dark dwarves mod, and legendary lands mod at the very least use smelter reactions like that, and dig deeper possibly as well- there is probably some others. You can find them in the mod list thread.

Copying isn't an issue though, at least to me. Feel free to take any code, graphics or inspiration from my mod.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 07:25:44 am »

graphics wont be a problem (when and if I get round to them) but I might copy/use your code as a base to some of my stuff so I'll give credit were it's needed