Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those Ascii tell some horrible horrible tales  (Read 1032 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Those Ascii tell some horrible horrible tales
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:18:47 pm »

some rather grisly tales to share today.

My fort was still in the early years of development, and i didn't have much of a defense force, a small squad of champions and a few crossbowdwarves. Lately the violet xelics had been restless, doing a fair share of raiding on the few caravans that dared approach the fort. We were down on hard times, there was little food left, and the few barrels of booze we had were human and elf brands.. nothing suited for a dwarf. Bodek was a previous commander i had split from the rest of the champions to rest off some previous injuries, but she was back on duty... alone.. when a squad of xelics attacked! My other soldiers were ordered to get the crap out of the booze stockpile and assist at the walls, but by then it would surely be too late? i watched the battle unfold.. she dodged one blow, another, struck back and killed one xelic, and another, she dodged their blows masterfully and reinforcements were on their way.. then she tripped.. it didn't take more than a few tics for the three remaining xelics to take full advantage of her mistake. The blood was everywhere.. limbs flew this way and that, as a hail of arrows flew from my parapets. the xelics quickly succumbed to the onslaught, broke and ran. leaving bodek a shattered husk of a dwarf in their wake.. she was alive, barely, but clinging on to life, what remained of it.. both her legs were off, her left arm at the shoulder, her right at the elbow. Her eyes too had been gouged out.. and somehow she survived. She was carried back to her room, which i promptly expanded, engraved and filled with awesome.. she deserved that much at least

My second tale also concerns those nasty violet xelics.Gryphonbanner A fairly new fort had attracted far too much attention by digging out a fairly extensive gold vein. It had far too many migrants and far too few defenses. The expedition leader Urist had just been appointed mayor, something he was happy about, but he had little faith in himself and his ability to lead such an outpost. The first thing he tended to was defenses, if worst came to worst they would simply shut themselves into the mountain using a massive door (read: raising bridge) He had personally tended to the construction and rigging of the door.
Then came the alert! ambush! the trade depot was under attack, the elven caravan was already dead, and several dwarves were amongst the casualties as well! The militia was roused.. they charged forth from the tunnel to meet the vile xelics... and were cut down to the man.. the enemy swarmed down the corridor.. there was only one option.. shut the door!
The order was given and Urist ran to pull the lever personally... the pulled with all his might.. and it came off in his hand... rock mechanisms lay strewn out before him.. there was no familar thunk of the door.. only silence... and then screams
he ran! downwards.. downwards he had to get away (or had to go down to the lower level and construct a wall, same difference)
he ran into a newly dug out area and struck on a particular weak spot of the tunnel behind him.. the path behind him was blocked..(or he walled himself in, same difference) he was safe... safe and alone... He only dared outside a few days later.. he slowly crept up to the meeting hall.. but already he could smell the stench of death.. he was alone... the only survivor, out of over sixty dwarves he was alone... he fell down to his knees.. and cursed the heavens...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Those Ascii tell some horrible horrible tales
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »

Hehe. Yeah, Xelics can do some serious damage. It's amazing how much carnage an ascii game can show.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:05:04 am »

A very good story. Urist approves! I will tell a story of gore now, if you don't mind.

My most powerful fighter, a Dwarvess by the name os Sibrek gave birth to a healthy baby girl. She was overjoyed. As she was tending to the baby, she was released from the military for the time being.

That proved to be a huge mistake. Soon after releasing Sibrek, a massive Elven siege suddenly apeared right at my fortress' doorstep, undetected as Elves sneak during their sieges. My entire army wall rallied and fought the elves, however, as it turned out most of the Elves were bowelves. And thus my entire army succumbed to a hail of arrows. I quickly activated my defense mechanism, sealing the fortress of with a Bauxite bridge and letting magma flood the entire entrance. The elves quickly desintegrated.

However, as Sibrek learned of the death of her beloved husband, who died in the Elf onslaught,she threw a wild tantrum, throwing her newborn daughter at a nearby wall with such force the baby exploded into a fountain of blood and gore. Realizing what she had done, Sibrek's mind just snapped. She raised her Adamantite hammer into the air, ran through the corridors and slaughtered the entire Fortress from the inside.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:33:12 pm »

What's a xelic?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 04:41:57 pm »

Think of a dwarf-sized, vaguely humanoid beetle. In this case, a bright Violet color, and quite nasty. They have 6 limbs (4 of which are arms), so they get to use Two-handed weapons and shields at the same time, or a single weapon and 3 shields. Makes them very hard to kill, so they're one of the nastier enemies in Civilization Forge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:05:38 pm »

That also makes them one of the better races to play as in adventure mode.