Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins stopped seiging me!  (Read 1382 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Goblins stopped seiging me!
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:58:03 pm »

I'm well into my 7th year with me fort... In 204 and 205, goblins began sieging my fort. I easily broke both sieges without any losses. However in 206 I had no siege and it's looking like 207 is going to be siege-less as well. It seems like they have regressed into petty ambushes that my civilians can thwart. Is there some kind of trigger that is keeping them from sieging me? My fort wealth is nearly 1,000,000.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins stopped seiging me!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

Oh, they'll be back. Goblins tend to pull fake-outs every few years, before coming back with two or three in the same year, maybe with ambushes as well.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »

Gooood.. My Champions are getting bloodthirsty, the amount of dead recruits has doubled over the past 2 years.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »

Make sure your stocks of food and wood are in order. They'll probably cut off any caravans for the year they show up next.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »

Its also possible to kill all the goblins.  :(

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »

Halfway through 208, I've had a megabeast attack and the goblins keep ambushing and trying to snatch stuff from me. However, there still hasn't been any kind of siege. 
Yeah yeah yeah!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:23 pm »

Its also possible to kill all the goblins.  :(

It isn't. Not in the current version. Toady's still working on the mechanics that'll let that happen.

Cogsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »

In my experience you have to be careful about leaders. If you kill a gobbie leader their Dark Fortress tend to siege much MUCH less. So they're either a prime target or something to avoid. They can also be tougher to kill sometimes. I still remember once my hammer got out of my loose control and clobbered a gobby leader. Leader went flying, into another goblin (who died on impact, and HIS corpse went flying...) got up....sorta, and crawled away on two broken legs(and mangled arms, and god only knows what else).

So unless your in a nexus of gobbie tower you might have just killed off their leaders...

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:09:11 am »

No leaders are dead, my fort wealth is over one million, I have a Countess and everything. They haven't seiged me in over 3 years, though.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:55:16 am »

A megaproject is the answer. Ive had the same thing happen on a few forts and Ive found that embarking of a project that gives a huge boost to wealth brings the little green iron ores back. Doesn't have to be too impressive. I found even a simple 10 story tower made with blocks works.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:59:18 pm »

You need to increase your wealth. I'm fairly certain that the rate at which you increase your wealth is the determining factor in whether or not you get sieged, ambushed, or ignored for the season.

Try expanding all your industries, and constantly produce large amounts of goods. You have a legendary weaver? Get another. Have a legendary stonecrafter? You probably have two. Set 'em all to work. Leave no one idle.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:28 pm »

Yeah. Use the remains of the prior sieges to train up a legendary bonecrafter/bowyer, and some marksdorfs.