Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Check out my new dining room and goombarena  (Read 1700 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Check out my new dining room and goombarena
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:25:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So on the right we have the new dining room, before I've put any tables in.  There are pumps taking water up, and dropping it from two holes for a double waterfall (Mario's overalls).  Done in kaolinite (red), limestone (white), wood(brown), and gypsum (yellow).  (The water took forever to fill up, I'm using a pressure plate & door setup from here:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1360 I eventually built another aqueduct and dumped a whole bunch in to fill up the pool)  Hopefully dwarves will try to go dine on Mario's feet and get some swimming practice.

The Goombarena on the left was done in cinnabar and realgar (bright red), andesite (black) and limestone (white).  I'm going to put my captured (but not tamed! he killed a dwarf already) titan in here and dump all my goblins in.

A couple of questions.  I've taken all the stuff of the goblins' already, they're sitting in a garbage dump nearby.  I think one of them snatched a kid before he got caught since I found a couple sun berry seeds in the dump as well.  Is the kid still in there?  If so, how do I get it out?  I don't want to dump the goblin in for the titan and have the child go to.

Also, any suggestions for a way to recage the titan after he's messed up the goblins?  I'd like to keep the place somewhat tidy.  I was thinking about redoing the part of the room with a small hallway with a cage trap and kitten tied up at one end.

Any thoughts, recommendations? 

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
Re: Check out my new dining room and goombarena
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:04 am »

That is the most awesome thing i have ever seen ;D.  But you should have used bowser for the arena, though you could still use him for a barracks.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:27:12 am »

You sir, win an Internets.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:21 am »

Oooh, bowser!

I based these off graphics online, so it's not like I did much more than copy them.  8-bit graphics work very well with DF grids.  I thought about Bowser for the arena, but I wanted a circular-ish shape so the titan can easily see his prey.

So how do I get the titan back in his cage for cleanup after the massacre?

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:40:23 pm »

1.) forbid everything
2.) Lever operated drawbridge over a channel (titans can destroy doors, right?) in the "green" position blocks his passage to a dwarf-filled area.  Pull the lever to allow passage past drawbridge.
3.) There is a cage trap your titan past the drawbridge.
4.) Unforbid things you want picked up

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:47:08 pm »

Holy crap, I love it. ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:07:32 pm »

1.) forbid everything
2.) Lever operated drawbridge over a channel (titans can destroy doors, right?) in the "green" position blocks his passage to a dwarf-filled area.  Pull the lever to allow passage past drawbridge.
3.) There is a cage trap your titan past the drawbridge.
4.) Unforbid things you want picked up

I'm hoping to keep the same color scheme so I don't mess up the goomba coloring too much, and having corridors go off from it at odd angles isn't desirable, either.

I used cinnabar fortifications to build a small corridor with a chained kitten at the back, a cage trap in front.  I'll probably have to use a drawbridge since titans can destroy doors.  Right now it looks something like this:

v - chain
k - kitten
t - cage trap
d - door
+ - fortification
- - wall
---+
vktd
++++

The kitten can be seen through the fortification, so hopefully it'll be easy to spot for the titan, but he can't get it without the drawbridge.  This will also prevent it from potentially getting loose in the fortress.  I walled up the only corridor that it could get through.

Has anyone tried anything like this?  (I'm sure people have, I wanna know how it worked out)  The last thing I want is to have to capture a loose titan in my fortress.

I hope a few more megabeasts will turn up.  Is there anything to tweak/mod without redoing the world?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »

That is simply awesome.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »

Now you need green pipelines to go across shortcuts around the fortress, and maybe have a coin storage/deposit zone in between one set just for the heck of it.

And you know what? Let's have a dragon sitting on a rickety retractable bridge over some magma with an axe sitting on a pressure plate which triggers the bridge when removed. Just be sure to have a tower cap waiting there to remind the adventurer that the princess is in another fortress before you leave it.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29:43 pm »

I don't think Titans can destroy dwarves(whoops) doors. I had a fort after a tantrum spiral with only 4 useful dwarves remaining and when the Titan arrived and started killing nobles I thought I was doomed until I locked him into the dungeon section of my fort. He was there for probably about 5 years and I never heard a peep from him.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:41 am »

I don't think Titans can destroy dwarves(whoops) doors. I had a fort after a tantrum spiral with only 4 useful dwarves remaining and when the Titan arrived and started killing nobles I thought I was doomed until I locked him into the dungeon section of my fort. He was there for probably about 5 years and I never heard a peep from him.

At's a bug with Building Destroyer; Building Destroyer lets things destroy buildings, but it doesn't let them path through buildings, so long as there was no concievable way for the Titan to path out of that room he would never have tried to path out and would happily sit there indefinitely, if you ever opened a door or he ever got near enough to a door to 'aggro' on it then he would have bashed it down and escaped.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:28:58 am »

I'm going to put my captured (but not tamed! he killed a dwarf already) titan in here and dump all my goblins in.

I would like to point out that Titans can not be tamed anyway. Humans are not tamable, and titans are basically giant humans.

Also, neat construction. It's time to use up all of your microcline and olivine and orthoclase to build stage 1-1.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:31:45 am »

At's a bug with Building Destroyer; Building Destroyer lets things destroy buildings, but it doesn't let them path through buildings, so long as there was no concievable way for the Titan to path out of that room he would never have tried to path out and would happily sit there indefinitely, if you ever opened a door or he ever got near enough to a door to 'aggro' on it then he would have bashed it down and escaped.

So if I lock the hatch that is currently the only way out, he won't try to escape?  Then, if I want to recage him, I can just unlock the hatch, he'll run up and bash it, go down the stairs and get caught in the cage trap.  Well, I'm not above exploiting a pathing bug.

I'm going to put my captured (but not tamed! he killed a dwarf already) titan in here and dump all my goblins in.

I would like to point out that Titans can not be tamed anyway. Humans are not tamable, and titans are basically giant humans.

Also, neat construction. It's time to use up all of your microcline and olivine and orthoclase to build stage 1-1.

Somebody mentioned modding them to be tamed, which I would've done if it hadn't slaughtered the milker who was OUTSIDE WHERE HE DIDN'T BELONG.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:51:42 am »

So if I lock the hatch that is currently the only way out, he won't try to escape?  Then, if I want to recage him, I can just unlock the hatch, he'll run up and bash it, go down the stairs and get caught in the cage trap.  Well, I'm not above exploiting a pathing bug.

In theory yes, but if he's near enough to the hatch then he'll decide to bash it down because of Building Destroyer.

If the hatch is sufficiently far away and there's no way around it, he won't path through it, but if he ever happens to wander close enough to the hatch to trigger his building destroying tendances he will bash it down and run off screaming like a loon.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:19:47 am »

Well, then I guess it's back to the kitten-baited trap.  Trying it now, so we'll see how it goes.
Pages: [1] 2