Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Honey  (Read 2088 times)

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
Honey
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:56:16 am »

I realised whats missing from dwarf fortress last night, honey.
This could have numerouse uses in game, candying to prevent food rotting, as a trade good, as a meal ingreadient and when the health care system is brought in honey has mild antispetic qualities.

Honey could be implemented in two ways, first as an item to be gathered like spider webs, and like webs it could come in two forms normal, and royal (which would be guarded be a giant bee, although not as overpowered as a giant cave spider). Royal honey would be the same as normal only better in everyway, and if eaten raw would instanly make the dwarf escativ.
Or secondaly with a new building the Apiary. Honey could then be harvested from here, although every use would have a small chance of angering the bees, this would inflict minor wounds and a large unhappy effect. The bees could be made docile by using smoke (which would cost a unit of coke) or the effect reduced by making bee keeping gear.
A possible added affect would be increasing the yield from nearby fields as the bees pollenate them (although i am unsure about the practablity of this and whether it would make sence as they are underground plants and so are unlikly to be used to bees pollenating them).

So what do you all think?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Honey
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 12:11:18 pm »

As long as nothing silly happens. Like !!*({Candied Dwarven Syrup})*!!.

...Yes, the syrup's on fire. That's not the point.
Anyway, honey's a good idea, and candying could be. As long as there's limits to what can be candied.

Also, I'm not sure, but has something like this been posted before?

Edit: Yes.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:24:01 pm »

Someone at one point made a beekeeping mod; basically honecomb grows randomly in caves, and there are vermins called cave bees that don't do much of anything.  And there was a "seed" of some sort that let you "grow" honecomb.  Pretty sure that this was for the pre-Z level version.  Anyways, I think this idea has been mentioned a lot.  It seems that raws are getting revamped so it might be more likely than before that something like this will exist.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

I don't think it's in yet.  Materials, yes.  New methods of materials appearing, no.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:53:05 pm »

I modded in a crop called Honey Cup, which could be processed into Cave Honey and brewed into Cave Mead.
Admittedly, that's nowhere near as interesting.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:30 pm »

How about putting a Dwarf twist on it, and make it "ant honey"? Ant hives are already in the game, and this would give a player a reason to harvest/promote them. And having an ant hive near your underground crops could offer some sort of benefits re growth-rates.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:43 pm »

The dwarves wouldnt really have beekeeping suits though...
How about putting a Dwarf twist on it, and make it "ant honey"? Ant hives are already in the game, and this would give a player a reason to harvest/promote them. And having an ant hive near your underground crops could offer some sort of benefits re growth-rates.
So this is a good idea...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »

If we get honey, we should get tea.  Tea goes well with a little honey.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:33 pm »

Not to mention the cat tallow scones.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 06:20:32 pm »

Not to mention the cat tallow scones.
I think you mean =prickle berry scones=. 
This is an exceptional prickle berry scone.  It is made from finely minced prickle berry, exceptionally minced cave wheat flour, and exceptionally minced dwarven wine.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:58:35 pm »

Quarry tea, of course. We've already got the bush from which we extract leaves. (Which is, incidentally, another thing I'd modded into my own game.)

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:19:04 am »

=Dwarven Blue Honey=
Computer says 'No'.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 01:37:03 am »

couldn't you mod in vermin Honey bee and have it drop "Honeycomb" like cave spiders drop silk? and have it millable at a quern or millstone into honey, apposed to a loom into thread?

Grrr, it appears the Webber tag is what makes the webs, and I cant see a way to change how they work. and the different type of web is from the thick web tag.

they should make a tag Hive builder, then you can have bees and Bee Queens etc.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 04:02:12 pm »

You can just make a plant called "Bee Hive."

It would look something like this (2 minute quick build)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 04:25:28 pm »

Eh, that just doesn't seem like it would be the same.  Cool that you can do it with this version though.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2