Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: An FAQ and Start up guide for Adventurers  (Read 18356 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: An FAQ and Start up guide for Adventurers
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 12:51:29 pm »

You can also eye gouge against humanoids, one of my favourite tactics (causes heavy bleeding, you can usually gouge out both eyes without an attack and murders their accuracy).  I can't remember if you can do it against animals.
Ya can't
Ok.  I generally only ever kill elves, humans and megabeasts (generally humanoids) so I don't mind much.

selbram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 03:56:04 pm »

Under the weapons section you have mace and hammer as only blunt damage. From my experience maces also seem to do some pierce damage on occasion. Or is this just my imagination?

You bash The Wolf in the upper body with your -Bismuth bronze mace-!
It is broken!
The Wolf's left lung has been pierced!
The Wolf gives in to pain.
The Wolf falls over.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:40:02 pm by selbram »

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »

You should add
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
under megabeasts/semi-megabeasts.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 08:19:00 am »

You should add
under megabeasts/semi-megabeasts.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2009, 12:08:55 pm »

Questions:
1) hitting with a sword a wolf gives as much EXP as for hitting a dragon?
2) mortally wounded means start thing for next stats for future character?
3) from normal to unique items are all found in shops ? and if i am a human should i only buy armors from human shops? (regarding too small too big armors)
4) Can you fly over obstacles on fast travel by an object? what do peaks do ? ''you've reached the summit of bla bla''
5) I use to kill wolfs and cougers to level throughout the forests, i find them the only source of exp! what should i fight something harder than them ? and where to search for them? hoping its not too hard than wolfs
6) How can i possibly get money if i keep fighting animals ? i can't sell jack from them
7) Can i dig through walls as an adventurer ? or underground passages?
8 ) Sometimes i hit into lairs where i am supposed to kill a giant or a wolf and i end up killing rats and can't find the real monster to kill... i found the wolf i was supposed to kill outside his den lurking around.
9) Where can i find a list of differences about races? pros and cons? What do you personally recommend ?
10) I noticed my icon changes from swordsman to nothings-man because i level up my brawl skill higher than my sword skill, next question is: can you change your let's say dwarf appearence to a dwarf lord with that uber cool helmet? (if you level your sword skill enough, lets say)
11) Did i put to many annoying questions?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:24:40 pm by RustKnight »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »

Questions:
1) hitting with a sword a wolf gives as much EXP as for hitting a dragon?
2) mortally wounded means start thing for next stats for future character?
3) from normal to unique items are all found in shops ? and if i am a human should i only buy armors from human shops? (regarding too small too big armors)
4) Can you fly over obstacles on fast travel by an object? what do peaks do ? ''you've reached the summit of bla bla''
5) I use to kill wolfs and cougers to level throughout the forests, i find them the only source of exp! what should i fight something harder than them ? and where to search for them? hoping its not too hard than wolfs
6) How can i possibly get money if i keep fighting animals ? i can't sell jack from them
7) Can i dig through walls as an adventurer ? or underground passages?
8) Sometimes i hit into lairs where i am supposed to kill a giant or a wolf and i end up killing rats and can't find the real monster to kill... i found the wolf i was supposed to kill outside his den lurking around.
9) Where can i find a list of differences about races? pros and cons? What do you personally recommend ?
10) I noticed my icon changes from swordsman to nothings-man because i level up my brawl skill higher than my sword skill, next question is: can you change your let's say dwarf appearence to a dwarf lord with that uber cool helmet? (if you level your sword skill enough, lets say)
11) Did i put to many annoying questions?

1.No, animals have a difficulty tag which determines the exp they give. Killing one dragon can raise your weapon skill a level or two, where as killing a wolf will do close to nothing.

2.Pretty much. Occasionally you can survive a supposedly mortal wound though. I've had several wounds that were supposedly fatal but turned out to just leave me pale and near death. Always play till you die, but mortal wounds are usually the end.

3.Humans are the only ones that run shops and they only sell human armor. Dwarves, goblins and elves do not naturally run shops, but they may if the civ is a mixed one. Elves only trade in wooden crap, regardless of size. I've never met a goblin or dwarf running a shop, but I would guess they'd function pretty much like a human. In other words, if you're human you can get armor from the shops, if not you'll have to commit a few homicides.

4.Mountains can not be crossed on the fast travel map, nor can water. You can however pass through while walking normally. Reaching the top of a peak just means you climbed to the highest z level of the mountain. You can "fly" over anything but water and mountains in fast travel.

You can ask if human majors need your service and they may occasionally give you a quest to slay something. The something is anything from a troll to a dragon, depending on what creatures are left in the world. Map gens that stop at a very early year will contain more of these creatures, meaning more chance for questing. As per finding stronger things to fight, look in haunted and terrifying areas (the purple ones on the fast travel map) Just run around till you get an encounter. It will be either a group of harpies (usually 3) or a group of orges (Usually 2)

6.You can kill elves and sell their stuff. You can pick up thousands of handfuls of sand and sell it. You can just murder the shopkeeper and steal his stuff. I rarely bother with the whole trading system. Its much easier to just sneak in at night and steal everything.

7.No, you can not dig in adventurer.

8.Occasionally the game will create caves that go nowhere, but also creatures will commonly wander out of the caves and into the area around them. Always check the surrounding area for any wandering megabeasts.

9. I'll post the descriptions from the wiki and then give you my impressions

"Dwarven characters always start with steel or iron weapons and armor, making them the best-equipped race. Unfortunately, human armor is too large for them to wear, and humans are the only race with shops, so all armor upgrades will have to come from looting dwarven fortresses. Most human weapons must be wielded two-handed by dwarves, due to their size.

Dwarves have the highest natural armor of the adventuring races, at +1, but are one size smaller than elves and humans, so they cause less damage and absorb less damage. Dwarves are the only race that sometimes enters a martial trance when beset by many foes, which gives them combat bonuses."

"Elven characters start with a wooden weapon and a set of basic wooden armor that lacks protection for the torso. This limitation often leads to a quick death. They do have some advantages, however: they're one size larger than dwarves, which makes them hit harder and absorb more damage, though they also have a natural armor penalty which causes them to take slightly more damage than normal. Their main redeeming quality is their speed, being roughly 20% faster than the other playable races.

Those that live among other races may have metal or leather armor fitted for a narrow frame, though elven shopkeepers in human towns will still only sell human equipment. These Elven shopkeepers will also not accept coins, you must trade actual goods with them. Elven adventurers may equip any metal weapons or shields they come across, just like any other.

Elves are at peace with wildlife, which means they won't be attacked by most animals (verify if most or all). In addition, they can talk to the animal-man races (such as snakemen and batmen) and even get the most excitement-seeking ones to join their party."

"Humans characters are, in every way, the middle road between dwarves and elves. Their starting equipment is metal, but the type of metal depends on how advanced that particular Human civilization is. Humans might have copper, bronze, or iron equipment. Humans may start with skill in any weapon (as opposed to the more limited lists that elves and dwarves use). Humans lack the special damage resistance of dwarves and the raw speed of elves, but they are one size category larger than dwarves. This makes them hit harder and absorb more damage (though it may not make up for their lack of damage resistance). Another downside for humans is that they have a life expectancy of 60-120 years, which is a lot shorter than dwarves and especially elves, but this is unlikely to affect anyone except a serious Fortress Mode addict.

They may buy both armor and weapons at human towns, and may scavenge dwarven weapons from abandoned fortresses. Masterpiece armor is extremely rare in human shops, but exceptional equipment is common, and temples contain abundant loot, so a human adventurer can easily pick up a set of exceptional gear."

Here's the very basics.
Human-all around good. Can get armor very easily and use any weapon.
elf-fast but weak if actually hit. Comes with shitty armor and weapons and it's hard to get better armor for it. Their speed makes them dangerous if you can outfit them well though
Dwarf-come with the best armor and weapons usually. Can only use certain weapons and can't take as much damage as a human. Their limited weapon capacity can sometimes cripple them.

10. More the likely you'd have to level your sword to master or legendary before leveling your other fighting skills. I always look like a wrestler for this exact reason.

11. Nopes  ;D

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2009, 12:56:30 pm »

Under the weapons section you have mace and hammer as only blunt damage. From my experience maces also seem to do some pierce damage on occasion. Or is this just my imagination?

You bash The Wolf in the upper body with your -Bismuth bronze mace-!
It is broken!
The Wolf's left lung has been pierced!
The Wolf gives in to pain.
The Wolf falls over.

Lungs and internal organs can only be pierced, to my knowledge. Hammers and Maces do only blunt damage, as you can see if you look at the raws. Its just that organs will give the "pierce" text if mangled in any way.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

I guess that is realistical enough because once you hit the ribs, they brake and puncture the lungs... so i guess toady is covered here.

Additional or completion questions:

1) Experience is gained once you kill a creature? i thought it is gained by hit, so as you said with the dragon it is possible to get a level to swordsmanship just by one hit in it?
2) Where do i find these temples? they seem like an abundant source of gear, and what does the icon look like?
3) I've see this red icon on the map that looks like a fortress, i think it's acctually a peek, but what does it do ? once i reach it it just informs me i reached the peek... Any EXP gained ?! (why place a special icon for it if it does nothing?)
4) If i hunt only in fast travel mode, and just expecting to get attacked by random encounters is that a bad way of making a leveling living?, is it more rewordfull to walk without fast travel?
5) i once forced jumped myself into the water with novince swiming ability, ok all is ok, got out, then jumped again... suddenly -drowning!- why ? and what should i do when i drown? exept keeping drowning?
6) How do i know what object is better than another? ok maybe from the material...(can you post please from weakest to strongest metal?) but how do i know a scimitar is better than a long sword or whatever?
7) I've had once a human character holding a two-handed sword and a shield, is it bugged?
8) Diff beetween bows and crossbows?
9)When do i know i am ready to fight a demon or a dragon ? and besides from that what other creatures can be dangerous in adventure mode (as dangerous as a demon or dragon)
10) When i generate a world can i make it's year stop and year 1? what is the most recomended year for fightings and quests?
11) Reference to question 10 - if i do manage to get  legendary skill for swordsman does my icon change to something cooler or special ? (like from a normal dwarf to a elite dwarf with that cool helmet?)
12) If it's not too much of a pain can you post from lowest to biggest order of skills? (none-dambling-novice-etc..)
13) Can you die in adventure mode as a human because of old age?
14) I am guessing DF is in beta right now? will there be more stuff to do in adventure mode in the future? or maybe focusing on other objectives than killing?

Again i am sorry for the pile of homework i gave you Piecewise! ... first decent cool guy i met on a Forum (well i don't do too many forums, once was on Mount and Blade, and then i got banned for a very dumb reason, also most of the veteran guys there are very inflamable.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:32:21 pm by RustKnight »

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2009, 01:48:00 pm »

Ou Ou ! a few more dilemmas:

1!)Why do i get attack messages while wondering in most of the towns? i am guessing wild life is attacking civs? is there a way to make out where do they need help?

And regarding your dilemma... yes elves do attack some creatures like bears, i once went to the lair of a dragon of some sort (thou inside it was nothing, searched even around it!) and found a normal bear that attacked me and surprisingly my 7 elves started to move their brain mechanisms and kill it.

2!)Max number of party members?

3!)And another thing... does it matter with what i grab the limb or neck? lesser chances of succes if it's with a weapon let's say? (i often strangle with my shield people and animals), it's all so messy how body parts and cloths are shown, will there be a better way of showing them in future?

4!) Sometimes my weapons sticks in a creature and i don't know how to get it out of him (often ending up bashing him to death with my shield... or him bashing me to death ...)

5!)Will duel wield be implemented in future?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 03:38:31 pm »

I guess that is realistical enough because once you hit the ribs, they brake and puncture the lungs... so i guess toady is covered here.

Additional or completion questions:

1) Experience is gained once you kill a creature? i thought it is gained by hit, so as you said with the dragon it is possible to get a level to swordsmanship just by one hit in it?
2) Where do i find these temples? they seem like an abundant source of gear, and what does the icon look like?
3) I've see this red icon on the map that looks like a fortress, i think it's acctually a peek, but what does it do ? once i reach it it just informs me i reached the peek... Any EXP gained ?! (why place a special icon for it if it does nothing?)
4) If i hunt only in fast travel mode, and just expecting to get attacked by random encounters is that a bad way of making a leveling living?, is it more rewordfull to walk without fast travel?
5) i once forced jumped myself into the water with novince swiming ability, ok all is ok, got out, then jumped again... suddenly -drowning!- why ? and what should i do when i drown? exept keeping drowning?
6) How do i know what object is better than another? ok maybe from the material...(can you post please from weakest to strongest metal?) but how do i know a scimitar is better than a long sword or whatever?
7) I've had once a human character holding a two-handed sword and a shield, is it bugged?
8) Diff beetween bows and crossbows?
9)When do i know i am ready to fight a demon or a dragon ? and besides from that what other creatures can be dangerous in adventure mode (as dangerous as a demon or dragon)
10) When i generate a world can i make it's year stop and year 1? what is the most recomended year for fightings and quests?
11) Reference to question 10 - if i do manage to get  legendary skill for swordsman does my icon change to something cooler or special ? (like from a normal dwarf to a elite dwarf with that cool helmet?)
12) If it's not too much of a pain can you post from lowest to biggest order of skills? (none-dambling-novice-etc..)
13) Can you die in adventure mode as a human because of old age?
14) I am guessing DF is in beta right now? will there be more stuff to do in adventure mode in the future? or maybe focusing on other objectives than killing?

Again i am sorry for the pile of homework i gave you Piecewise! ... first decent cool guy i met on a Forum (well i don't do too many forums, once was on Mount and Blade, and then i got banned for a very dumb reason, also most of the veteran guys there are very inflamable.)

1. the actual mechanics of the exp system are a little fuzzy right now. I know that I went from dabbling to normal pike skill by killing a single dragon. I'm not sure if it's by hit or only if you kill it. It could be that you get it per hit but also get more when you kill a creature with a chosen weapon. Check your status screen (z) between blows and after killing a creature to know if it goes up by hit or by kill and if there's a difference in the amount it goes up.

2.Temples are part of human cities, though a temple will only appear in rather old and developed cities. Generally there will be no temples within the first few hundred years. Shops are, to me, generally easier to loot. Everything is in one place and you can usually just sneak in, steal and sneak out before anyone wakes up. The people of the town will never talk to you again though.

3.Red icons (I believe, it varies from tileset to tileset) are volcanoes. The magma may not be visible from the surface. As per getting to the peak, I do not believe there's any exp related to it, just the game giving you a congratulatory message.

4. Fast travel helps you get around faster, much faster. If you're just killing time wandering around on foot is fine. If you're trying to level its better to fast travel. As per making a living, I assume you mean making money. Its hard to make money in a legal way, since it mostly involves murdering the hell out of people. If you want to make money you'll have to scavenge stuff you find or just steal it.

5. You have to alt move into the water (hold alt +the direction you want to go) Make sure you select that you want to go in the water,  not the ground under the water. If you fall and start drowning there really is  nothing you can do to save yourself. You can (Ctrl+ALt+Delete) to close the game and load a recent save but thats about it.

6.Everything you need to know is on this page (http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Weapon). It has a table of damage for weapons, the effects of material and the quality modifiers. The equation is (base damage) x (material) x (quality)

SO for a Masterfully made steel longsword the equation would be
(120)x(1.33)x(2)= about 320 points in damage.

7.Nah, Humans are big enough to do that. Dwarves are not. I don't think elves can either but I'd not sure.

8.Let's look at the raw data for that
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_BOW]
[NAME:bow:bows]
[DAMAGE:40:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:30]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:BOW:ARROW]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[DAMAGE:70:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

The differences, as you can see are thus.
Crossbow does more damage when hitting someone with the crossbow itself.
Crossbow weighs a little more
hitting someone with a crossbow counts as a hammer skill while hitting them with a bow counts as sword skill. Both do bludgeon damage though.
Crossbows use bolts and bows use arrows.
Before you ask, bolts and arrows are identical, its the quality and material that make them different.

9.Dragons are actually fairly easy to kill if you know what you're doing. Demons on the other hand are very very dangerous if you're not prepared. Myself, I generally try to have legendary throwing, shield and wrestling skills before I go up against megabeasts. Leveling these 3 skills is easy as well as pretty safe and it can boost your toughness, strength and speed up to their highest levels. Of the various beasts in the world, only a few are truly dangerous to you after you're more then a novice. These are Bronze Colossi, Giant cave spiders, Demons (of any kind), bowmen of any species and occasionally a weaponmaster.

10.you can make world gen stop at year two at the earliest. As per suggested years, It usually breaks down like this.
1-50: Lots of megabeasts and quests, but the civilizations are very new and unformed. No large cities or empires.
51-100:Less megabeasts but slightly more advanced civs
100-300: generally these are the last years when megabeasts will be very common, after this they tend to either be extinct or very few and far between. Civilization will continue to grow from this point on.

11.I believe it may.

Level    XP
Dabbling 1
Novice    500
No label 1100
Competent 1800
Skilled    2600
Proficient 3500
Talented 4500
Adept    5600
Expert    6800
Professional 8100
Accomplished 9500
Great    11000
Master    12600
High Master 14300
Grand Master 16100
Legendary 18000
Legendary+1 20000
Legendary+2 22100
Legendary+3 24300
Legendary+4 26600
Legendary+5 29000
(http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Skill)

13.It's never happened to me, but I suppose you could, if you somehow waited for the years to pass. It would take forever though.

14- it's actually alpha. There will be more to do in the future though. Just have to stay patient and wait.

On to your next page

1-Its just wildlife or a rouge citizen usually. Sometimes you can wander into a battle or a war, but those are rare. There is no way to know where the fighting is happening without a cheating program or seeing it yourself.

2-5 I believe

3-What you grab with doesn't matter, unless you're trying to gouge out eyes or steal weapons. You can lock and break joints with any part of your body. As per the menu, I'm not sure But I know toady is always trying to streamline things. Its kind of hard to think of a way it could better done though. We'll just have to wait and see.

4.Do you mean it gets lodged and then you lose hold of it? Or that it just gets lodged? In the first case you have to grab the stuck weapon (use a free hand in the wrestling menu to grab it) and then use (shift+i) to open inventory. At the very bottom of the inventory will be your weapon, in red. Press the button that corresponds to that weapon and you should get the option to "gain possession" of it by pressing (a). Alternatively you can grab it and simply step backward. If you get it or not depends on your strength and wrestling skill.

5. Not unless your character is ambidextrous. Think about actually trying to use a weapon in your bad hand. Also, that would mean you have no shield, which would be bad.

Ok, I think thats it.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 03:52:07 pm »

So is ambidexterity really implemented?

And if i would want an elf with bow skills and sword skills how the heck can i swap using bow and sword and shiled? The only way i found changing bow to sword was throwing bow and then throwing sword and picking sword up... i would like to shoot arrows in my enemies and when they get close to change to my shield and sword as quick as possible

And thank you a LOT for my questions, i did notice some of them were allready answered in wiki or at the beggining of the thread, but my hand was faster than my brain...

Oh and how do you stop the world generator from counting years?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »

So is ambidexterity really implemented?

And if i would want an elf with bow skills and sword skills how the heck can i swap using bow and sword and shiled? The only way i found changing bow to sword was throwing bow and then throwing sword and picking sword up... i would like to shoot arrows in my enemies and when they get close to change to my shield and sword as quick as possible

And thank you a LOT for my questions, i did notice some of them were allready answered in wiki or at the beggining of the thread, but my hand was faster than my brain...

Oh and how do you stop the world generator from counting years?
I don't think it will be implemented but I don't know for sure.

You should be able to put (p) the sword away in your bag and take out your bow with the now free hand. Though, to be honest, throwing arrows is just as, if not more effective then a bow.

You have to make a world with custom parameters and in the paramenters screen there should be the option of when to stop the world. Otherwise you can just stop it mid gen and then decide to use it from there anyway/

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 04:33:22 pm »

Does fighting from the ground have any relevance? (as in i am proned) i often get down off my feet and i really wonder if i should get up and hack, or just stay on ground and hack, except for movement penalty, is there any fighting penalty?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2009, 04:37:15 pm »

Does fighting from the ground have any relevance? (as in i am proned) i often get down off my feet and i really wonder if i should get up and hack, or just stay on ground and hack, except for movement penalty, is there any fighting penalty?
Being prone makes you slower and easier to hit. Always try and stay on your feet.

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 01:20:42 am »

How does one get more toughness or agility?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8