Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: This world is whack, Yo  (Read 3971 times)

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
This world is whack, Yo
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:41 am »

I generated a world for 10,000 years. Some weird shit happened. I got a Dwarven Dark Fortress, and when I started adventuring, I started at the Dark Fortress and got messages that a bunch of dwarves were fighting eachother. After looking at legends, it seems the Dark Fortress dwarves (led by a demon) had wars with the other dwarves. Probably the most interesting world I've generated. If anybody wants it, I can upload it.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This world is whack, Yo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:06 am »

Yes please, I've always wanted to play in a 10000 year old world, but never had the patience to wait for the genning to complete :P

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »

Yeah, eventually the goblin slaves outbreed the goblins as the goblins die in various wars.  All very fun. And also a laugh is the human empire with 40+ sites, 10 of them forest retreats, 5 dark fortresses, 3 mountainhomes, and a cave... all connected with roads, and possibly with tunnels to the other goblin and dwarvern sites in the area.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:18 pm »

Yes please, I've always wanted to play in a 10000 year old world, but never had the patience to wait for the genning to complete :P

I recommend using smaller worlds. It goes by faster. I'll upload the world in a second.

Yeah, eventually the goblin slaves outbreed the goblins as the goblins die in various wars.  All very fun. And also a laugh is the human empire with 40+ sites, 10 of them forest retreats, 5 dark fortresses, 3 mountainhomes, and a cave... all connected with roads, and possibly with tunnels to the other goblin and dwarvern sites in the area.

Tunnels?

EDIT: Done uploading. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1048
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:05:40 pm by Broose »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:48 pm »

Tunnels?
Yep, tunnels through mountains were added for 39a. I've never actually seen one in-game myself, but Toady put up a pic of goblin tunnels during development of 39a. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/gob_tunnels.png
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »

Tunnels?
Yep, tunnels through mountains were added for 39a. I've never actually seen one in-game myself, but Toady put up a pic of goblin tunnels during development of 39a. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/gob_tunnels.png

Yeah, just read about it on the wiki. Seems cool.

CarsonCity314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11:28 am »

Anyone actually run into tunnels that stay on one Z-level?  I've found them going about 4 squares before changing elevation, which kinda makes them more of a hassle.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:13:04 pm »

I think the tunnels are coded to stay the same elevation underground.  So as the mountaintops go up and down, the tunnel will go up and down.

I like the tunnels.  Im gonna mod dwarves to dig tunnels when I regen my next world. 

Dont try to really use them though...unless it's a tiny tiny world and the two fortresses are really really close.  Ive gone into a goblin tunnel for an hour or two before reaching the halfway point (The map destination in the top left changed).  I tried to Travel out but couldnt.  So I just quit. 

But Im wondering....if set a fortress up on top of a dwarf tunnel (after modding them in) then seal my fortress off from the surface....will dwarf caravans use the tunnels to get to my depot?

If so thats awesome, and totally what I will do from now on.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:31 pm »

I have never come across tunnels or under-roads, but if the caravan can arrive on the under-road, then I am in like Flynn.  Pop a hole in the surface, seal up my underground fort, and handle all of my supply needs from below! 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »

Sorry, but I have been told that it doesn't work like that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:57:16 pm »

wait, how did you get it to run that long? the end year parameter doesn't work  ???

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:28 pm »

wait, how did you get it to run that long? the end year parameter doesn't work  ???

Nullify the megabeast percentage, and it should gen till the end year

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11:47 pm »

Or set the start checking megabeasts to your desired end year.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:28 pm »

Can someone upload a map that has a bunch of tunnels on it? Or a seed? Ive never seen any of them, and ive razed dozens of dark towers.

EDIT: Also, creatures should theoretically spawn underground, in the tunnels. Probably due to the bug that lets them spawn inside fortresses built with a 2X16 embark ( or any non square embark)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:44:24 pm by Eagle »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 09:47:37 pm »

From my experience tunnels take a LONG time to dig. Also, you can show tunnels on the embark screen by editing the init.txt
Pages: [1] 2 3