Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Making Physics Cry  (Read 9123 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Making Physics Cry
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2009, 07:35:39 am »

Is it even possible to interact with antimatter in our universe? If its even real, we should be able t observe it, but not interact with it, since it apparently goes losing is fun whenever it gets in contact with matter?

It is; you can poke it with matter and it explodes.

We can also store it in a vaccum tube with strong electromagnetic fields to prevent it from coming in contact with any matter (as Nivm said). It's veeery delicate and doesn't really have any practical applications yet, but there are several potential areas of usefulness.

If you're wondering about a bit of the detail, antimatter is stored and created under really strong electromagnetic fields. So we make it levitate in a vacuum box to keep it from going off. And last time I looked, the reason research was pushing forward was because a group of rich people think it's cool. So far we haven't come up with a way to make it efficiently to be useful for anything, or easy to use.

In theory it would be a dynamite fuel source; annihilation is a perfect 100% conversion of energy to mass, which means you lose very little of the energy in storage, it's also very quick and very powerful which means you can store alot of energy in a very small container.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2009, 09:14:44 am »

In theory it would be a dynamite fuel source; annihilation is a perfect 100% conversion of energy to mass, which means you lose very little of the energy in storage, it's also very quick and very powerful which means you can store alot of energy in a very small container.
And by "alot" he means the energy is more concentrated than a nuclear explosive. And by that, I mean on many orders of magnitude more concentrated. From the wiki article on antimatter:

"The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than chemical energy (compared to TNT at 4.2×106 J/kg, and formation of water at 1.56×107 J/kg), about 4 orders of magnitude greater than nuclear energy that can be liberated today using nuclear fission (about 40 MeV per 238U nucleus transmuted to Lead, or 1.5×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc˛), or the rough equivalent of 47 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 Megatons, which required the use of hundreds of kilograms of fissile material (Uranium/Plutonium)."

In short... antimatter makes nuclear energy look like a toaster. There is a good reason Star Trek used it as fuel.

To get a little more in depth about the 100% mass to energy conversion:
Technically, half of the energy released is in the form of neutrinos, and so is lost. However, since you use 1 unit of antimatter and 1 unit of normal matter, you get the overall yield of the mass of the antimatter used.
2 (1 anti, 1 matter) times .5 (50% lost to neutrinos) = 100%
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:18:40 am by alway »

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 09:16:28 am »

Now we need to find a way to create anti-matter in DF. :D

It would make for the most ridiculous means of killing nobles ever.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 09:20:38 am »

Now we need to find a way to create anti-matter in DF. :D

It would make for the most ridiculous means of killing nobles ever.
OMG YES!
*antimatter containment chamber opened into noble's room*
*antimatter hits air, detonating*
*map is turned into large crater*

To bad the only known way of generating antimatter (without the use of black holes, ect) is particle accelerators... a bit above our dwarves' technical knowledge.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

They already have infinite energy machines and atom-smashers, so a particle accelerator doesn't seem so far-fetched for dwarves. :D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 09:49:58 am »

You could just create a smooth path around the planet and hit a goblin with a hammer. Then you hit it with a hammer every time it passes causing it to constantly gain speed.

Dwarven particle accelerator.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2009, 11:53:21 am »

I'm afraid that air resistance would get it's say on the gobbo long before it reached the needed speeds. It would burn up from friction like a meteorite in the atmosphere. Still, an incredibly dwarfy way to dispose of prisoners.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2009, 01:23:19 pm »

Air resistance isnt implemented yet.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2009, 04:32:36 pm »

Neither are the Laws of Thermodynamics, since we have perpetual motion machines.

Or momentum, given that something will keep flying untill it hits a barrier and fall straight down.

In fact, DF defies many laws of physics. And probably biology, given that dwarves can go for months without eating food.

But back to the idea of a Dwarven partical accelerator, simply tap a brook, take its infinite amounts of water, pressurize it, and send it down a straight tunnel under the world to meet a similar water tunnel on the oppisite side.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2009, 05:39:28 pm »

Dwarves have slow metabolisms and eat very large meals when they do eat, allowing them to spend quite some time between meals (note the lack of knowledge of how big any unit of food is).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »

(note the lack of knowledge of how big any unit of food is).

Thats true... I mean, a bush and a Titan occupy the same theroetical space...

But in itself, is that not screwed up?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2009, 06:40:37 pm »

hah, cthulhu took one look at dwarf fortress and went insane!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2009, 07:35:42 pm »

Air resistance isnt implemented yet.
So...we're operating on the Aristotelian impetus model of flight?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2009, 07:36:57 pm »

We're operating on the "THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!" Model of flight.  Specifically, the this is an alpha model.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:31 pm »

We're operating on the "THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!" Model of flight.  Specifically, the this is an alpha model.

Also known as the "Shit keeps flying until it stops" model of flight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7