Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Making Physics Cry  (Read 9143 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Physics Cry
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:55 am »

I reckon they get their heat energy from magma.

Actually, that's a cool idea - plants that can only be grown on warm tiles.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2009, 06:40:18 pm »

You guys know the invention of antimatter pretty much broke the rule:  "Matter can be neither created or destroyed."  Funny thing, now the rule is "matter can be neither created nor destroyed in chemical reactions."

I think that since E=mc2, that means we can make energy infinitely.  Hypothetically.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:13 pm »

E=mc^2: energy is fungible with mass.

Still can't create or destroy actually, just convert.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »

There is an infinite amount of matter in the universe.  Or near infinite, anyway.  So good for you.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:50 pm »

E=mc^2: energy is fungible with mass.

Still can't create or destroy actually, just convert.
Antimatter!  We make it from energy, yet we get more when we collide it with matter.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 08:24:47 pm »

Antimatter!  We make it from energy, yet we get more when we collide it with matter.
Actually, the energy you get back from the collision, is at best equal to the energy it took to make the antimatter.  No free lunch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 08:33:36 pm »

Actually, the energy you get back from the collision, is at best equal to the energy it took to make the antimatter.  No free lunch.
No free lunch.  But we still get to piss on the slightly edible trash left behind though.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 08:37:25 pm »

More than that, actually.  Otherwise no one would be funding antimatter research.
Just so I remember

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 08:48:11 pm »

Joe MincedPuppet: Oh hey! Quarry bush leaves!  Yum Yum!  Wait...why are they purple?

Bill TinyTallows: New mandate, all food has to be painted purple.  Take a bite, it's plump helmet flavor too.

Joe MincedPuppet: Why oh why did we choose the plump helmet loving mayor over the star sapphire loving one!? *Fist shake*
Now, you have to ask yourself, where does the purple dye come from?  The logical explanation would be plump helmets.  The slightly less logical explanation is redroot dye and dimple dye mixed together.
The Dwarven explanation is pitchblende.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 08:56:15 pm »

Dwarf A:  "Urist, why are you wearing that third arm?"

Urist:  "New mayor likes plump helmets."
Just so I remember

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 09:06:47 pm »

More than that, actually.  Otherwise no one would be funding antimatter research.
Nobody is funding antimatter as an energy source.  An energy storage medium perhaps, although even that is pretty far off in the future.  You can't get more energy from reacting the antimatter than it took to make it in the first place.  Matter-energy conservation is funny that way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darksergio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 02:10:44 am »

the antimtter can be reay dangerius because it negate all the matter arround it
Clear skies with a chance of FLAMIN' RAIN!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 03:01:51 am »

Is it even possible to interact with antimatter in our universe? If its even real, we should be able t observe it, but not interact with it, since it apparently goes losing is fun whenever it gets in contact with matter?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Riess

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Gray Ghost
    • View Profile
    • Our Intrepid Crew - Space Opera Webcomic
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:03 am »

Oh it's very possible and has been done, but only with a few particles at a time. In physical terms, a matter particle and its anti-counterpart will annihilate on contact and leave behind photons with the total energy of the annihilated mass times the square of light speed.

In more dwarven terms, it lights up faster than a fire imp party in a stockpile o' booze.

We're still here because the universe is biased towards our kind of matter and antimatter is pretty damn rare.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:54 am »

If you're wondering about a bit of the detail, antimatter is stored and created under really strong electromagnetic fields. So we make it levitate in a vacuum box to keep it from going off. And last time I looked, the reason research was pushing forward was because a group of rich people think it's cool. So far we haven't come up with a way to make it efficiently to be useful for anything, or easy to use.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7