Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Making Physics Cry  (Read 9135 times)

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Physics Cry
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 05:16:57 pm »

I don't get it. Maybe it's the tileset but just what exactly is happening here? And why is it abnormal?

Screw pumps acting as a moses device, apparently.

That's a corner of my dwarf-made reservoir. There's a small pond there and bordering the left side and bottom of that pond is all the water in the reservoir -- water that's on the same Z-level that the screen is focused on. The water in the pond is one Z-level lower. "Behind" the pond is muddy land where water was until I activated the two screw pumps you can see working diligently there.

Alternatively, imagine you're a Dwarf camping out in that little corner of the reservoir. Besides puking your guts out from cava adaptation, imagine what you'd see: rhyolite walls behind you, muddy ground under you, a pond in front of you, and a non-advancing wall of water on the far side of the pond blocking out your view of everything beyond.

Does that help clarify a little? :D

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:50 pm »

Instead of chloroplasts, dwarven underground crops contain microscopic perpetual motion machines, with molecule-sized waterwheels driving molecule-sized screw pumps, pumping fluid around in a circle and generating energy in the process.

This is... it's.... BEAUTIFUL

it fits the known DF physics quirks, explains the phenomenon and is STILL absurdly over complicatedly dwarven at the same time.

I bow to you sir.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »

I don't get it. Maybe it's the tileset but just what exactly is happening here? And why is it abnormal?

Screw pumps acting as a moses device, apparently.

That's a corner of my dwarf-made reservoir. There's a small pond there and bordering the left side and bottom of that pond is all the water in the reservoir -- water that's on the same Z-level that the screen is focused on. The water in the pond is one Z-level lower. "Behind" the pond is muddy land where water was until I activated the two screw pumps you can see working diligently there.

Alternatively, imagine you're a Dwarf camping out in that little corner of the reservoir. Besides puking your guts out from cava adaptation, imagine what you'd see: rhyolite walls behind you, muddy ground under you, a pond in front of you, and a non-advancing wall of water on the far side of the pond blocking out your view of everything beyond.

Does that help clarify a little? :D

Ohhh, NOW I see it. Thanks.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

thepuska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 03:41:33 am »

I made a hole in the universe by digging a ramp into ice, building a wall over it and removing the wall and ramp.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 05:40:04 am »

I made a hole in the universe by digging a ramp into ice, building a wall over it and removing the wall and ramp.
]

Thats a hole in the ground.

thepuska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:03 am »

No. The procedure turns the tile into an empty, black, nameless tile that can't be pathed through.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 07:43:14 am »

Instead of chloroplasts, dwarven underground crops contain microscopic perpetual motion machines, with molecule-sized waterwheels driving molecule-sized screw pumps, pumping fluid around in a circle and generating energy in the process.
Someone should put that stuff in the wiki.

As awesome as burning elves.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 10:48:14 am »

Someone should put that stuff in the wiki.

As awesome as burning elves.

The act or the guys?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 11:11:33 am »

YES! Finally I have found something to put in my signature. I thank you.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »

That's optimistic.  All I know is that underground plants seem to often, if not always, be fungi, and that no one knows where dwarves poop...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 10:41:25 pm »

No. The procedure turns the tile into an empty, black, nameless tile that can't be pathed through.
Have done also, though in this case by having a burning dwarf run up some ice stairs.
The interface between ice and rock is not nice. (Oddly, you could see the top of the rock below, but it didn't have a "floor" tile)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:52:58 pm »

All I know is that underground plants seem to often, if not always, be fungi
Fungi are not plants.  They do not photosynthesize, and they aren't made of the same fibers as plants.  Their cells are connected in a different way.  They also grow faster, and use detritus (aka decaying material) in the soil and mud to get their nutrients and energy.  Plants only get nutrients from soil, not energy.

The ever-usable farm plots are a bug from the 2D to 3D switch; you had to re-irrigate in 2D.  In real life, soil needs to be re-irrigated as well.

Sorry, but the "OMG this can't work!" reaction just bugs me.  I mean, really, plump helmets?  A mushroom?  In an alpha game?  Should be enough to make people happy.  It isn't.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 01:51:17 am »

well, dust is mostly dead skin cells, so the dwarves don't have to excrete any other way, and can still provide food for the fungus.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 06:55:31 am »

well, dust is mostly dead skin cells, so the dwarves don't have to excrete any other way, and can still provide food for the fungus.
Now that, I like.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 07:30:28 am »

All I know is that underground plants seem to often, if not always, be fungi
Fungi are not plants.  They do not photosynthesize, and they aren't made of the same fibers as plants.  Their cells are connected in a different way.  They also grow faster, and use detritus (aka decaying material) in the soil and mud to get their nutrients and energy.  Plants only get nutrients from soil, not energy.

The ever-usable farm plots are a bug from the 2D to 3D switch; you had to re-irrigate in 2D.  In real life, soil needs to be re-irrigated as well.

Sorry, but the "OMG this can't work!" reaction just bugs me.  I mean, really, plump helmets?  A mushroom?  In an alpha game?  Should be enough to make people happy.  It isn't.
Heh, I know that; was trying to make a joke that the dwarves grow underground crops from their own excrement. Of course this would still violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics, but hey, poop!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7