Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Making Physics Cry  (Read 9130 times)

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Physics Cry
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:58:18 pm »

Howdy everyone! While looking around my reservoir, I noticed that I've unknowingly developed force fields.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only reason I can figure for that happening are extremely aggressive pumps and the fact that double-stacked water seems to behave oddly.

Let's hear some stories where you all have done the same, huh? Let's hear about making the basic rules of the world sob like a little girl!

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Physics Cry
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:06 pm »

1st Law of Thermodynamics: energy cannot be destoryed nor created.
My dogs (who never eat yet still run around), underground plants (where does their energy come from?!) and free energy waterfall machines all violate this fundamental law in dwarfy ways.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »

The underground plants get all their nutrients from the soil. That's why they aren't green.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »

What about perpetual generators powering other perpetual generators? completely isolating itself from the original power source?

Blueprint: 1 starter PG (or PS) beginning a cycle of other PGs powering each other, even when the original starter PG is shut off; the others remain generating power for each other, as well as themselves, causing a self-sustained power station deep inside a mountain without any other connection to the water source (PS) to exist.

Or the mist machines? Where does all the energy and water come from?

And what about the Moses Devices? How can water be retained so well by mere wall of screw pumps?

Thanks Skorpion, you just reminded me:
Quantum storage cages.

And what about castles CITIES suspended by a single tile?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:39:58 pm by Itnetlolor »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:29 pm »

Well, once I ended up pumping water out of a square faster than it could flow in, in order to install a floodgate.
I'd dug out a square next to the existing gates, in order to improve the flow rate for the prototype elf drowner, but forgot the important part of drowning elves. The water flow. So, my trade depot flooded. The entrance to it was full of flowing water, going through a gap I couldn't plug without the water not being there. So I pumped it out, with the addition of a miner wading into the flow to channel into a lower tunnel I'd dug. Which wasn't really intended, as I'd just meant to give the water somewhere to GO, not almost flood the bloody fort.

My noble-killing chamber in one fort ended up as a platform with bait levers on, supported by a support on a thin strip of cantilevered land below it, with access via a glass bridge.
When the lever elsewhere was pulled, the support went off, crashing the platform down through the bridge and into magma. It even sucked an elf diplomat into it at one point.

The first WORKING elf drowner worked through active pumping from a tunnel dug from a brook. However, the water drained back into the brook again through the grates it was being pumped through, so active drowning was only acheived through constant pumping and pressurisation. Even worse was the way it all flowed back into the tunnel after use, into an already-full brook.
Then physics got themselves worked up, and the indoor wells flooded because they were on the same Z-level as all the brook water and hooked up to it by channels. But only after the drowner was used.

Physics also cries when you knock bleeding creatures into flowing water. The blood goes right the way downstream, even soaking into the banks.

I once diverted a brook down a few Z-levels, into a dead end. Physics did NOT cry, as my waterfall overtopped and flooded the landscape, as did the fountain from an un-doored escape tunnel. Physics kicked my ass, but I got my own back when I used it to extinguish a burning dwarf.
Who then died of his wounds.

Titan in a wooden cage.
Fire imp in a wooden cage.

Quantum dump piles of unwearable clothing. Hundreds upon hundreds of articles. In future, I should just use a shaft to stick it in the middle of a gigantic stockpile and worry about bins later.

Oh yeah, and cramming 100+ large animals into a single wooden cage. Although, if it's the same kind that traps titans, it's not surprising.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:01:53 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:57:59 pm »

The underground plants get all their nutrients from the soil. That's why they aren't green.
This is where the plants get their nutrients from, but where does the energy come from? Do they feed on bugs? Do the plants break down molecules in the soil in nuclear reactions? (actually that sounds so awesome I might even concede you the point there)
Fine, underground farming MAY be possible, although you would think after using the same plot for 10 years all of the 'energy' in the soil would have been used up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:22:04 pm »

Don't forget the Dwarven Atom Smasher, which eliminates items without so much as dust remaining, an d our good friend quantum stockpiling.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:29:29 pm »

My barracks was located near the Fort's Drawbridge for easy defense but unfortunately during one orc siege we gave orders to close the drawbridge, and while we sent the champs out to deal with it, the newest squad of soapmaker recruits continued to train. Siege over, the order was sent out to lower the bridge. SQUASH! I lost some great bronze armour and a masterwork obsidan sword to the atom smasher, with no trace. Empty casket funeral too.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 09:11:57 am »

Instead of chloroplasts, dwarven underground crops contain microscopic perpetual motion machines, with molecule-sized waterwheels driving molecule-sized screw pumps, pumping fluid around in a circle and generating energy in the process.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:38:04 am »

Ah, so that's how we can make booze with them without water.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:57:45 am »

Wait, so booze is really just thousands of refined cell-sized mechanisms, waterwheels and pumps?

That... would explain things.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:00:36 am »

It also explains why they need muddy ground, so they can absorb small amounts of water as they grow and need more perpetual motion machines.

Shadow Golem

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:24:39 pm »

With the wooden cages, it's not so much an issue that they can hold a titan or lots of large animals if you think about it, so much as how the EXACT same cage has no holes large enough for the smaller animals, etc. to slip through, in spite of being, ya know, a cage.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »

Howdy everyone! While looking around my reservoir, I noticed that I've unknowingly developed force fields.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only reason I can figure for that happening are extremely aggressive pumps and the fact that double-stacked water seems to behave oddly.

Let's hear some stories where you all have done the same, huh? Let's hear about making the basic rules of the world sob like a little girl!

I don't get it. Maybe it's the tileset but just what exactly is happening here? And why is it abnormal?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 05:16:17 pm »

Dug the entire world out from under itself and reduced it to 1 level of terrain.

Blackholes ftw
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:30:18 pm by Heliman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7