Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Making Physics Cry  (Read 9132 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Making Physics Cry
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2009, 10:43:55 pm »

We're operating on the "THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS!" Model of flight.  Specifically, the this is an alpha model.

Also known as the "Shit keeps flying until it stops" model of flight.
And the shit only stops when its hitting your face.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2009, 10:44:56 pm »

which is, in fact, the impetus model of flight. Things fly until they run out of impetus, then fall.

And no, things will fly variable distances when hit at angles that don't support the "until it hits something"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2011, 07:47:59 pm »

"The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than chemical energy (compared to TNT at 4.2×106 J/kg, and formation of water at 1.56×107 J/kg), about 4 orders of magnitude greater than nuclear energy that can be liberated today using nuclear fission (about 40 MeV per 238U nucleus transmuted to Lead, or 1.5×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc˛), or the rough equivalent of 47 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 Megatons, which required the use of hundreds of kilograms of fissile material (Uranium/Plutonium)."

The Tsar Bomba was actually designed as a 100 megaton device but the Soviets removed some of the fissile material before the test because they were afraid that testing a 100 megaton device would produce enough fallout to make large areas of their country uninhabitable...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2011, 07:49:33 pm »

"The energy per unit mass (9×1016 J/kg) is about 10 orders of magnitude greater than chemical energy (compared to TNT at 4.2×106 J/kg, and formation of water at 1.56×107 J/kg), about 4 orders of magnitude greater than nuclear energy that can be liberated today using nuclear fission (about 40 MeV per 238U nucleus transmuted to Lead, or 1.5×1013 J/kg), and about 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best possible from fusion (about 6.3×1014 J/kg for the proton-proton chain). The reaction of 1 kg of antimatter with 1 kg of matter would produce 1.8×1017 J (180 petajoules) of energy (by the mass-energy equivalence formula E = mc˛), or the rough equivalent of 47 megatons of TNT. For comparison, Tsar Bomba, the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated, reacted an estimated yield of 50 Megatons, which required the use of hundreds of kilograms of fissile material (Uranium/Plutonium)."

The Tsar Bomba was actually designed as a 100 megaton device but the Soviets removed some of the fissile material before the test because they were afraid that testing a 100 megaton device would produce enough fallout to make large areas of their country uninhabitable...

However, that little tidbit still does nothing to detract from the point that Alway made about antimatter, which is correct.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »

Well, it was tested far away, on the northernmost point of an island in the Arctic so it wouldn't contaminate any settlements. The payload was also halved in order for the plane that dropped it to be able to get out of range (it did). Also, way too much stuff to waste on a test, was big enough already.

Regarding the matter of real importance - don't bring your fancy physics into Dwarf Fortress. Here we live by the law of Armok and ale, and we know no Newton or any other elvish-sounding names.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:37 pm »

*checks date* Eh, whatever.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:43 pm »

N-N-N-NECRO!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2011, 09:03:58 pm »

yeah, sorry about that. I found this thread while running a search for another thread, and didn't see how old it was until I had already written half of my response, and wasn't about to decide not to post after having already figured out exactly what I was going to say...
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

yeah, sorry about that. I found this thread while running a search for another thread, and didn't see how old it was until I had already written half of my response, and wasn't about to decide not to post after having already figured out exactly what I was going to say...
xD  Nice...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »

Dwarven constructions are powered by the force of physicists spinning in their graves.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2011, 12:58:51 am »

What made me laugh, is I had to do a school homework over the physics in a video game. I chose Dwarf Frtress. Then I found this thread. XD
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2011, 03:07:50 am »

If you describe in detail exactly WHY each of the various physics-breaking things in DF do in fact violate physics, then you'll get an A.

Here's a good question to ponder: Which part of a water-reactor is the violator of physics?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:05 am »

If you describe in detail exactly WHY each of the various physics-breaking things in DF do in fact violate physics, then you'll get an A.

Here's a good question to ponder: Which part of a water-reactor is the violator of physics?
the entire bit?  flaw one:  friction unaccounted for.  flaw two:  generating more energy from falling water than the water has.  conservation of energy is broken by DWRs
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2011, 03:26:19 am »

Friction IS accounted for.  Every piece of machinery has a "power cost" associated with it.

I personally think that the fault lies in the pump ITSELF.  It's power-requirements are far too low given the amount of water it can move.  A pump's flow-rate is limited ONLY by how quickly its intake is replenished.  For 10 power, that's a bargain!  Gear mechanisms use 5, for comparison.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2011, 05:07:11 am »

Conservation of matter.

I have created several tons of food yet there is no change in the fields.

My dwarfs have eaten vast amounts of food and consumed enough alcohol to fill a river yet they never expel any of that matter.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7