Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Looking for an RPG  (Read 3093 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an RPG
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:51 am »

Check the roguelike threads if you haven't ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 07:37:24 am »

I was under the impression he was looking for a freeware Console RPG, not just an RPG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_role-playing_game
!!&!!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:19 am »

CRPG

When I was a kid, it was called Combat RPG.
Adam Sessler called it Common RPG.
The OP seems to call it a Computer RPG.

???
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:38 am »

If you can find it anywhere, Planescape: Torment was the best CRPG ever made, hands down.
Go and play this. Now.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 11:30:06 am »

CRPG

When I was a kid, it was called Combat RPG.
Adam Sessler called it Common RPG.
The OP seems to call it a Computer RPG.

???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_role-playing_game

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 12:30:24 pm »

For me, CRPG has always meant "computer rpg", to distinguish from "RPG" which means tabletop (or rocket propelled grenade).

(rambling snipped)

I'm going to give an unusual suggestion, Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption.  It plays pretty different from most computer RPGs and the writing is decent.  Not free, but old.  Dunno how easy it is to find.  Probably my favorite besides Planescape Torment, just dug it out of a box...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:37:56 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:01 pm »

Around here we never actually say "Computer RPG" or "Console RPG" or even "Japanese RPG" I've only experienced it on the internet.

Though I have heard people say "lol" and that annoys me to no end for some reason. I count it as irrational hatred though since on paper it isn't as annoying as I find it to be.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »

Lately I've been in the mood to play a good CRPG but I haven't found anything that's really caught my eye. 

The Temple of Elemental Evil. Don't forget to download the latest community mod for it from here: http://www.co8.org/forum   ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 02:16:37 pm »

See I'd love to try Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 but I'm running Vista and I've heard that neither work/work well unless you have XP, so I think I'm out of luck
All versions of Neverwinter Nights up to v1.68 are not compatible with Windows Vista and have been blocked from installation by the operating system. If you are having difficulty running Neverwinter Nights on Windows Vista ensure that the game has been updated to v1.68 and that you are running the game as an administrator.

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/known.html#51

Just patch it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »

For me, CRPG has always meant "computer rpg", to distinguish from "RPG" which means tabletop (or rocket propelled grenade).

(rambling snipped)

I'm going to give an unusual suggestion, Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption.  It plays pretty different from most computer RPGs and the writing is decent.  Not free, but old.  Dunno how easy it is to find.  Probably my favorite besides Planescape Torment, just dug it out of a box...

Yuck, it was different alright, had a lot of potential but damn, that game was repetitive lol. Some dungeons were so easy you could do them without even pausing once, other dungeons were horrifying, forcing you to restart every frick'n time you didn't watch yourself.
Also, the dialogue options didn't matter at all, the story remained the same. Ah well, some things were cool in that game though and I wish there was an rpg like that, only done the proper way. I'm a sucker for vampires :P (and yea, I know about Vampire: The masquerade: Bloodlines, that game scares the crap out of me >.>)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 04:03:38 pm »

Bloodlines really turned me off for a lot of reasons.

Redemption, for all its flaws, did have a suitably dramatic story that really fit the flavor of the tabletop game.  Not really anything in the way of dialogue choices, but they nailed the flavor, which is sometimes fun.  :D

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 04:45:30 pm »

The question is if you installed the fan-made patch.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 04:56:23 pm »

Hmm. Maybe I should run a LP of Wasteland.

F--K YES, you shoud.

not only was it the spiritual ancestor to fallout, you'll notice some familliar names in the game and on the credits.  Bryan Fargo was at the helm of Interplay for both those games, and worked on each of them. 

also, Bards Tale and Wizardry were good RPGs if you like those kinds of games.  i dont know if i'd have the patience to play them again though, as they get repetitive and lack the overhead map of Wasteland.

Other great but lesser known RPGs include Mega Traveler (based on the pen-and-paper game) for sci-fi, and The Magic Candle for fantasy.  I think TMC might possibly be one of the best done RPGs ever.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 05:11:22 pm »

Oooh yeah, Wizardry.  Classic computer RPGing at its classic-est.  Break out the graph paper, and the erasers!  You never know what might happen that will render your maps...less correct than you had hoped...

Making your own Wizardry maps is, by the way, mandatory.  Looking them up online is not allowed.  It's the biggest form of cheating that you can do in Wizardry, because the a lot of the fun and difficulty comes from the fact that you're exploring an unknown dungeon with somewhat unknown rules.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 06:31:29 am »

I loved Bloodlines. Redemption was rather boring though, had a bunch of bad ideas, didn't capture the feel of the tabletop. I dunno, to each his own.
Pages: 1 [2] 3