Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for an RPG  (Read 3088 times)

jd6199

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for an RPG
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:37:20 pm »

Hey everyone. Lately I've been in the mood to play a good CRPG but I haven't found anything that's really caught my eye.  Anyone know of anything good? I'm not really looking for an MMO, and I would prefer if you guys had freeware suggestion, but any suggestion would be nice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

Freeware Console RPG!?!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

Go out and buy a copy of FF7. Problem solved.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

jd6199

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:43:32 pm »

Haha no sorry I meant computer RPG. But yes, I'd agree FF7 is great.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »

If you can find it anywhere, Planescape: Torment was the best CRPG ever made, hands down.

You're a millennia old, immortal, amnesiac zombie on a quest to kill himself, in a world drawn straight from The Inferno.  The combat is hardline 3rd edition AD&D, which isn't that great, but the Black Isle stylishness makes it tolerable.  Your party is a wisecracking skull, a chaste succubus, and the coolest elf in videogame history.  It has over a million lines of dialogue, multiple endings, and an insane robot voiced by Dan Castellaneta.  You haven't played RPGs until you've played Planescape.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:59:35 pm »

Well there is a Computer FF7 but I assume you don't mean console games put onto the computer.

Do Point and Click Adventures count? Hmm probably not. I should start a topic about those because I havn't played them in a while (I should have bought Dreamfall while I had the chance)

Lets see
-Fallout Series
-Eldar Scroll series
-Diablo Series
-Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

However Your looking for some freeware also. Hmmm... I personally never played a GOOD Freeware RPG that was good on the basis of being an RPG.

jd6199

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 09:12:59 pm »

See I'd love to try Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 but I'm running Vista and I've heard that neither work/work well unless you have XP, so I think I'm out of luck

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

What about emulation of any kind? No?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »

If you are willing to play a very old CRPG, I would suggest Wasteland.

It is easily one of the best CRPGs I have ever played. Plus, it is the spiritual ancestor to the Fallout series. Fallout 1 had several references to Wasteland in it: Fat Freddy, Desert rangers, etc.

It is not technically freeware, but the only way you can get a copy now, through means fair or foul, is on abandonware sites.

EDIT: In fact, if you are willing to play old CRPGs like Wasteland, then there are many good RPGs you can choose from.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:32:33 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »

Lets see
-Fallout Series
-Elder Scroll series
-Diablo Series
-Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

This isn't Warhammer.

I personally recommend the Baldur's Gate series. For freeware I'll have to look for a little while.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:19:13 pm »

If you are willing to play a very old CRPG, I would suggest Wasteland.

It is easily one of the best CRPGs I have ever played. Plus, it is the spiritual successor to the Fallout series. Fallout 1 had several references to Wasteland in it: Fat Freddy, Desert rangers, etc.

It is not technically freeware, but the only way you can get a copy now, through means fair or foul, is on abandonware sites.

EDIT: In fact, if you are willing to play old CRPGs like Wasteland, then there are many good RPGs you can choose from.

Actually, I've played that and I can vouch for it being fun. Also, it's the spiritual ancestor to Fallout, not the successor. I think.

Hmm. Maybe I should run a LP of Wasteland.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 09:50:00 pm »

Ancestor, successor, same difference. ;D

I found a few good Wasteland videos on YouTube, but there aren't any with

Automatic weapon-fire.

Probably my favorite part of Wasteland. I'll see if I can dig out an old save and upload a video or two to YouTube.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:51:59 pm »

!!&!!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 01:01:07 am »

http://indygamer.blogspot.com/2007/05/last-scenario.html

Last Scenario. Find it somewhere.

Heh, I remember that one when it came out. Great game. Originally released here on somethingawful back in 07, you will need the archives upgrade to see the thread.

If you would be put off playing by the fairly generic intro backstory, don't be as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also the game is huge. As I recall there were at least two occasions that I thought the game was coming to a conclusion, only for it to expand into a vaster world.

The game also includes a complete minigame.

Follow the download link here for the game.

As I remember, the download didn't come with instructions for the controls so I'll post a copy of it here.

Controls are the following: Space continues the dialog, X opens and closes the menu, and B selects an menu entry. You do move around with the cursor keys. Alt + Enter switches to full screen and F1 opens a few menu options including letting you rebind keys.

The game uses a font that may not be installed on your computer. If you have Office, you can get it here, otherwise you can get it here. If you're running vista, you have to get rid of msgothic.ttc (or rename it to something else) before you can load that file.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:25:29 am »

See I'd love to try Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 but I'm running Vista and I've heard that neither work/work well unless you have XP, so I think I'm out of luck

NWN 1 runs on Vista. NWN 2 is a waste of time.

If you end up playing NWN and want some really great interactive storylines, visit the persistent world: Escaped from the Underdark.

You can find me there currently enjoying a scythe wielding druid/babrbarian named Tree.
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2 3