Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: A Fishy Contest  (Read 6946 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Contest
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 09:56:47 am »

Question: do we get more points for using clear glass as opposed to green glass or does it not matter?
Clear glass does not cout towards presentation but green does. And on a side note, I do like live fish rather than undead so if we have a tie between two aquariums and one has undead then I will probably choose the live fish. ::)
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:30 am »

Question: do we get more points for using clear glass as opposed to green glass or does it not matter?
Clear glass does not cout towards presentation but green does. And on a side note, I do like live fish rather than undead so if we have a tie between two aquariums and one has undead then I will probably choose the live fish. ::)

Clear glass is harder to make than green glass, so giving bonus points for green glass seems a bit odd. Just saying.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29:11 am »

This sounds fun, ill give it a try ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »

Clear glass is harder to make than green glass, so giving bonus points for green glass seems a bit odd. Just saying.
Good point.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:29 pm »

well, guess I'll have to work extra hard on the presentation then. This planned aquarium has just become a megaproject. P.S. I might combine land AND sea exhibits if at all possible. On a side note, skeletal great whites move pretty fast. Too fast for poor urist mcbait to get out of the way and move towards the cage traps...of course, I have more where that came from.

Edit: In case anyone was wondering, the amount of bites a skeletal great white can get after it moves onto a cage trap square is one (yeah, he was able to take a bite BEFORE the trap activated). I really thought this mcbait would be safe there...on the plus side, now I can let my dwarves outside again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:30:04 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »

Land exibits would make it a zoo. ;) 
Go for it. ;D

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 06:00:10 pm »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

Edit: Okay, note to self: both whales and pet werewolves have the "W" symbol in the same color. But whales hit dwarves alot harder than their pets do.

Second note to self: CHECK what's in a cage before unassigning it!

Good news: I coincidentally have fewer idlers now. And fewer peasants.

Edit: Do we get bonus points if we make what is explicitly a pirahana pool, with educational demonstrations of what happens when a dwarf-or kobold, or goblin, or noble-gets in the water for a nice swim? Including in the lesson why you should check what that lever you've been told to pull for food actually does?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:41:08 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:24 pm »

Couple questions.

Do any fish in the game have building destroyer?

Do merfolk and frog/olm/eel/whathaveyou men count as fish?

Do the fish all need to be tamed? Because there are ways to get them in an aquarium from the ocean or whatever without any dwarven intervention after the setup, beyond pulling levers and pumping, which would eliminate the need for taming unless some of them can blow buildings up. They'd scare your dwarves, but still.

One last question: To oceans ever freeze?

I might be tempted to stop being lazy and do some insane version of this myself.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »

Um, I'd avoid arctic maps and go with temperate or tropical, and savage ocean if possible (give yourself a chance at sea serpents). The oceans have the single biggest ammount of biodiversity in the ENTIRE game outside of the tropical environments-you simply cannot match it with underground features. And as far as I know, no fish have building destroyer. No fish, by the way, can be tamed without modding-and there have been issues with them airdrowning when taming was turned on. I almost WISH that my fish were nice normal ones which stayed in the ocean-my walls are looking like boatmurdered's but with FISH instead of elephants.

Undead fish do have benfits-they can come onto land and get caught in traps there. They also have a *big* drawback-they can come onto land and kill your dwarves. For instance, I have had skeletal whales pay me a nice visit. Four dwarves dead before I realized what had happened. I even thought, how nice, that pet werewolf is going to help the dwar-Urist McForgothisname has been struck down. Oh, and it's impossible to tame the things. On the bright side, your exhibits will last for eternity. Just plop zombie fish in tanks of formaldehyde.

BTW, dragons *are* inate swimmers, correct?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:34:21 pm by Byakugan01 »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

Yup.  And [FIREIMMUNESUPER] makes them think they can do magma.  You see where this leads.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 09:02:29 pm »

helpful stuff

Thanks. honestly, it was mostly theoretical questions (though I didn't know fish couldn't be tamed, never tried before). Merfolk, however, would still be neat. Also, if the ocean does freeze.. well, my crazy idea involved carving into the ocean with a LOT of miners while it's frozen, year after year, and placing green glass blocks there produced during the rest of the year. Eventually, the ocean would be full of glass walls and tunnels, and I would call that my aquarium.

Crazy, I know, and lots of work, so I won't be doing that. Still not sure if I'm signing up for anything but the devil's advocate position :P

Oh, and even without using an underground river, the merfolk question is still entirely valid. Oceans have them, after all.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:51 pm »

You can put men in your tanks but i wont count them.

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »

'Righty, just checking.

Anyway, I'll probably start a fort for this, assuming I can find magma, sand and an ocean on the same map. Basically, a beach with magma somewhere in there. Shouldn't be too hard. Then I just need to strain the ocean through my aquarium :P

...Why do I have the horrible feeling that this system will backfire and possibly explode?

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 09:38:54 pm »

'Righty, just checking.

Anyway, I'll probably start a fort for this, assuming I can find magma, sand and an ocean on the same map. Basically, a beach with magma somewhere in there. Shouldn't be too hard. Then I just need to strain the ocean through my aquarium :P

...Why do I have the horrible feeling that this system will backfire and possibly explode?

Oh, it will..... it will.....

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 10:05:17 pm »

Making a huge aquarium more or less floating in mid ocean and going up out of it would be wicked cool. WTB 3D graphics with glass being see through. Ohhh look SeaMonsterShamu!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8