Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: A Fishy Contest  (Read 6953 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Contest
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 07:41:23 pm »

Current progress: 1 trapped skeletal ocean sunfish.

Setback: 90+ dwarves dead due to orcs getting through a door one of my marksmorons stood in and left open...while his post was 2 z levels above on the archery tower. Legendary armorer intact, legendary weaponsmith is in 6 or so separate pieces, but armor is worth more for trade anyway...and i need it more. The death of all those dwarves will certainly set my plans for the obsidian tower with the aquarium in/on it back quite a ways, however.

Savescum to earlier point. -and locking down that tower with a separate set of doors.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:44:33 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 07:51:36 pm »

Current progress: 1 trapped skeletal ocean sunfish.

Setback: 90+ dwarves dead due to orcs getting through a door one of my marksmorons stood in and left open...while his post was 2 z levels above. Legendary armorer intact, legendary weaponsmith is in 6 or so separate pieces, but armor is worth more for trade anyway...and i need it more. The death of all those dwarves will certainly set my plans for the obsidian tower with the aquarium in/on it back quite a ways, however.

acceptable losses!

anyways, I might join this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 07:58:36 pm »

I might join in. I'd have to make a whole new fort, though. I found a nice river map I might consider using, but then I'd only be able to get like 2 species. :I

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 08:03:15 pm »

inaluct, build it in the Eternal Halls. I'll follow up on my turn to finish it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

So Byakugan and Sir_Geo are in and possibly barbossa and inaluct, nice. ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 08:20:38 pm »

You have an entire Succession game in on this one. Nice.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 08:23:38 pm »

One thing i noticed for anyone else trying to build the "aquarium of the dead" is that skeletal fish stop moving after they've been in the water for some time. (meaning if any stop moving far out in the ocean...you'll need to think of a way to retrieve them). Just a word of warning...however, I've a;ready though of an efficient dwarfy fix for this-at least once they're in the big box.

edit: Only seems to happen if they actually reach the ocean/river bed. Otherwise, they just keep swimming, keep swimming...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:36:58 am by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 08:25:32 pm »

inaluct, build it in the Eternal Halls. I'll follow up on my turn to finish it.

Alright, I'll try and get started on the aquarium. I guess I'll be nice to the elf diplomat, then. They're our best chance of getting a whale in an aquarium imported.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 10:58:51 pm »

Question: do we get more points for using clear glass as opposed to green glass or does it not matter?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:27 pm »

I think that would fall under presentation. In some cases, green glass may actually be better if you ask me. Besides, clear glass makes elves cry, so when in doubt, make elves cry.

Edit: Okay, progress on the well-going fort: one skeletal ocean sunfish, a conger eel and swordfish whoose capture should go smoothly, and one "fun" item (it's a surprise for you guys ;))
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:33:58 pm by Byakugan01 »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:29:47 am »

How do you catch fish?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 05:58:10 am »

Build a channel (not yet filled) then install a floodgate. It's either luck and hope the fish gets in-OR you can close off part of the ocean with obsidian, pump it dry, fill it with cage traps,then install multiple floodgates so fish can wander in and get caught...but still be able to pump the area dry to retrieve them. You'll need the glass cages to actually do this, however-fish can and do airdrown. plus side to to undead fish is that they don't. However they also stop moving if they're in the water too long and touch the bottom.

EDIT: Can create a bit of a nightmare trying to get really nice ones-like, say, my great white-out of the ocean.  You have to pump the area dry to get them moving again, OR give them a nearby target and a path to it-which basically involves pumps again along with some masonry.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:40:48 am by Byakugan01 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:23 am »

Heh, count me in!

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 08:44:41 am »

Sounds like fun

I'll give it a try, though if past experiences are anything to go by you'll soon be seeing a fair few screenshots of drowning dwarves and named killer sunfish..
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 08:48:49 am »

So I'd like to suggest something that may or may not work. Make your aquarium. Make two channels connected to it - one so that water from the ocean comes in, another under a grate (which is itself under a hatch) that takes the water back out. The way out, if you're not using a hatch, will be floodgated, as will the way in. Again, hatches are ideal here as they close faster.

Water comes in from the ocean, and brings fish with it. Water flows right out again, but the grate leaves fish inside. As they get water pouring through the whole time, the fish shouldn't airdrown - not that it's an issue if you use undead fish. Once you've reached the requisite amount of fish, close the hatch over the grate, and, once the aquarium fills up, close the hatch letting the water in.

The hatch over the grate, by the way, is so that you can stop water from leaving, but whatever you do, fish stay in. Also, this, if it works (feel free to shoot down and flame me as you see fit if it doesn't), should apply to rivers and brooks as well.  If you have one of these as well as an ocean, than good. More variety in fish.

Why yes, I am way too lazy to do this myself. Anyways, good luck to all involved, feel free to try this, and, ofcourse, rage away as you like if it turns out that I've failed completely :P

Oh, and I think that's the biggest post I've made on this forum. Glee.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8