Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: A Fishy Contest  (Read 6935 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Contest
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:34 pm »

Update: Well, the inner tunnel wasn't quite finished-turns out it needed to be even longer. That's done at least. Floored, walled, and covered. Now, the OUTER tunnel...well, let me put it this way. I have manufactured over 1100 CLEAR glass blocks (not even counting the green glass blocks). And it's *still* not complete, though it's getting there. The elves must call the path to my fortress the trail of tears at this point-wait till they see they clear glass magma ducts I'm planning to supply the ship with magma once I've cast it (btw, magma is also how I plan to eliminate the cage and mechanism after I release my monstrosities into their tanks).

nOn a side note, my fps was in the ditch, so I built a bridge on the tunnel and had my soapmakers, milkers, and other unneccessaries walk the plank with their pets. I also instituted a mass goblin prisoner drowning campaign for the same reason. This also included some human prionsers and their horses...which, it turns out, produced a massive job cancellation spam from masons getting spooked by the horse. Since my military dwarves didn't see the problem with the horses, I decided to toss in one of my dragons to see what happened. Long story short, the horses aren't around anymore, though the dragon DID kill them messily enough that a hoof flew up 2 z-levels and landed on the floor of the outer tunnel :D.

Edit: Anyone else still working on their aquarium?
Edit 2: I also had a dragon burn to death most of a goblin siege-next time I'll record it, but the frame rate was atrocious-I was trying to set the world on fire to burn off all the orc and extra goblin stuff lying around, but my comp doesn;t like having magma, burning objects, and a magma man all on the same map with flowing water.

eDit: Goblins attacked! I'll record this one.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 03:50:04 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2009, 04:11:59 pm »

UPDATE: Goblins being burnt by dragon! I'll upload a more impressive one as soon as possible. Don't look for dragon vs orc though...I'm not even TRYING to pull that one until I have 3 or four adult dragons.

Edit: Oh, and the current state of my tunnel access way to the location where the sunken ship will be is there too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:21:35 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:51 am »

It seems that people have begun to give up.  :'(
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2009, 11:42:01 am »

Aye, framerate got to me. I think my plan was solid, but all that moving water made it near impossible.

Basically, I had a map where there was no aquifer under the sea. Dug out a massive underground chamber where I planned to build a glass dining room like the world had never seen. Collapsed a floor over the sea where I had mined out a large straight down tunnel that led into my aquarium. Planned to pump out water fast enough that it would suck fish from all over  the sea into the aquarium, where they'd be caught. Didn't work so well. Got so slow I couldn't stand it, and I never was able to get the hole to actually be a waterfall so the fish wouldn't swim out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2009, 12:08:43 pm »

Eh, I'm currently on break from mine-the constant siege thing without anything to burn (heh) was annoying-and framearate also was an issue (improved somehow after I ordered mass meltings). Still, now I just have to get the magma ducts in order. I can *gurantee* this won;t be done by the 15th, or maybe even the end of june. But I WILL finish it-and make the wait well-worth the effort. The tunnel was the easy part: now comes the actual casting of the ship, followed by a need to use the magic liginite bin trick to evaporate the oceans-might skip this due to the HELL it *will* wreck on my framerate.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:51 pm »

Wow this month is going by fast.  :o  I'm going to extend the date till July.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

Meh, for me the major thing that holds the project back is the fact I have two summer courses-one right now and one that starts right after this one ends-and both have labs. The current one is organic chemistry, so it's really been eating my time. I'll try to have it done by augeust though: I know for a fact that even after both summer courses end, I have at least two weeks before the fall semester starts. If not before, the megaproject will certainly be completed by then.

Edit: @atkas: Might not be an option, depending on how far back my last backup save before the current one is. But if it is...there are plenty of cage traps, trust me.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:04:31 pm by Byakugan01 »

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2009, 01:20:29 pm »

@Byakugan01

Make sure you have cage traps set up for when the elves siege. Unicorns, unicorns, unicorns. I want a breeding population of unicorns...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2009, 02:03:14 pm »

Ive been getting tutored at home cuz of the cancer but I still have a buttload of finals and NYS regents.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:46 pm »

Hey, could you guys who are still in this thing post progress reports?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 02:19:19 pm »

Been playing a mod or two for a break, but plan to get back to work on it sometime in the near future. Been really busy though, so I haven't had much of a chance.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

A decent way to trap any migrating ocean life in cages is to split the ocean down the middle with obsidian and have a little water lock full of cages.
Tis an ancient hunting strategy from flatter times.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2009, 06:13:59 am »

O_o

How on arth do you do underwater construction?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:43 am »

Off the top of my head I'd say "Drain the water using a ton of pumps, do whatever you want, make sure that no non-noble body is there and fill it up again"
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2009, 08:29:41 am »

Um, I'd avoid arctic maps and go with temperate or tropical, and savage ocean if possible (give yourself a chance at sea serpents). The oceans have the single biggest ammount of biodiversity in the ENTIRE game outside of the tropical environments-you simply cannot match it with underground features. And as far as I know, no fish have building destroyer. No fish, by the way, can be tamed without modding-and there have been issues with them airdrowning when taming was turned on. I almost WISH that my fish were nice normal ones which stayed in the ocean-my walls are looking like boatmurdered's but with FISH instead of elephants.
Once you add the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag, the only real hurdle to get past is getting the fish into a kennel for taming, and with the clever use of screw pumps, cages and walls that's perfectly doable.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8