Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: A Fishy Contest  (Read 6933 times)

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Contest
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2009, 03:14:28 am »

I've essentially given up on an ocean fort for now and I'm working on a river featuring our old friend the carp, sea lamprey and sturgeon. That in mind I think rather than building anything thats going to "win" I'm just going to aim for something unusual, watch this space.  ;)

wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2009, 07:39:03 am »

Screw this; reliably capturing fish out of the lake is bloody impossible!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2009, 12:48:27 pm »

Nobody said this was easy.... of safe for that matter. ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2009, 10:46:05 pm »

Well thanks to a slight error in my floodgate mechanisms my fortress is flooded and full of zombie milkfish.

I think i shall try something else :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2009, 12:34:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I used this to make a world that had mostly forested areas with many magma features and more oceans then I know what to do with. also all the areas are either temperate or warm
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2009, 01:53:07 am »

I'm doing a huge project with water, but I only started with a brook and an underground lake... So no fish creatures, unless you count ohm-men.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2009, 06:20:02 am »

By the way, don't stash your cages where fire snakes can get at them...ever had two skeletal sea serpents loose in your fort at once? Plus az whale or two?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2009, 08:18:19 am »

so.... were allowed to build our aqaruim/fort in the ocean? using a complex series of walkways...pumps... and a reaalllyyyy big set of glass? (so you can see both into the tank and out into the ocean :p)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2009, 10:39:46 am »

Heh, that's what I'm doing...but with obsidian, magma, glass, and a to-be legendary architect/engraver/mason. May be able to at least get the walkway done, but the rest will take some time, seeing as how I'm casting a sunken ship out of obsidian to serve as the aquarium AND quite possibly where I will relocate the *entire* fort. The trhone room will be in the captain's cabin, natch (hell, I might even have a non-adamantine king just from the construction involved. The amount of clear glass to be used for the walkways though...I think I'm going to give the elves a bloody seizure just from the sight of it.)
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:56 am »

Byakugan........ I love you. :o
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:00 am »

make sure the road leading to it is made from wooden bridges, clear glass roads, and has marksmen dressed in leather, in wooden towers, using wooden bows and elf bone arrows guarding it

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2009, 12:04:31 pm »

Don't make the towers from wood, but from ash blocks. You don't just cut down the trees, you burn them alive! Also build the trade depot from ashes.

edit: Almost forgot, make sure you have finished good stockpiles reserved exclusivly for totems. Preferably elf skull totems.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2009, 04:39:42 pm »

I';m being nice to the elves right now in hopes of a breeding pair of those scorpions. Once I have a pair of them...the elves shall have fun. Fortunately for them, they've benn *very* reliable about bringing me dangerous pets (on the rare occasion a siege doesn't stop them from comming, anyway).  I basically can count on getting sieged by either goblins or orcs.

BTW, did I mention the magma tunnel leeading to the ship filled with my "fun stuff" (which, I shall now reveal, is a skeletal fire imp (to be joined by its friends and a fireman). My only problem is figuring out if I should line the outside of the tube with clear glass or the insaide. Already have over three hundred units of green glass, so officially the construction project begins tonight, legendary mason/architect permitting

Edit: Boy, these eleves are with the program. Just one animal that's isn't common...BUT IT'S a GIANT EAGLE!! Jeez, last year it was another giant leopard.

Edit: WOOPS! TWO giant eagles,a leopard, and another cougar. Both eagles are female, but odds are next one will be a male! After I get a male dragon, I fear my champions will have to file for unemployment. Is it that my eleves are hardcore lords of war animals, or are they just the smartest ones ever. (Or maybe it's the drawbridge in front of the walled in depot)

Edit: IT seems I needed Green glass BLOCKS. Well, I have two skilled glassmakers, so that shouldn't take too long. On a side note, the wood furnaces are being fired up. Elves are weeping somewhere. BTW: I have a filter system designed. Naturally, it involves charcoal.

Edit: ... :O Did I just see one of my champions murder an entire squad of orcs after getting surrounded by them?!? ALONE?!? Yes, I believe I did!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:23:48 pm by Byakugan01 »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2009, 05:40:35 pm »

Maybe it's just the RNG loving your guts.  And those piles of armor you give the elves.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:06 pm »

Well, now they brought me a load of WOOD with no pets. Fortunately for them, I have three woodfurnaces on repeat for ashes-so it was actually welcome for once. I look forward to showing them just where all the trees have been disappearing to. And the dragon breeding program has been initiated-the elves will go insane when I begin to burn the world...AND that's not considering the clear glass domes that will be on the ship as well! Incidentally, the interior part of the walkway to the furutre location of the ship is 2/3 complete. Green glass. The clear glass is for the exterior...

Edit: Update: My dragons are breeding. I now have three hatchlings, ready to set the world on fire.
Also, the deforestation campaign has been epic. My wood stockpile is at 200-100 more than I told the elves I would cut. :D. Hey, the furnaces need something to turn into ash. Bring me a male scorpion or eagle and I'll consider scaling back the campaign. If they come with more wood, I may just clearcut the whole map, then gather the herbs and clearcut it again.

Edit: My strategy of holding the forests as ash seems to have worked somewhat: an elk and a bear were brought. Not enough, pointy ears. The deforestation WILL continue. Incidentally, the tunnel is now half complete-the INNER tunnel is finished. Now I just need to build its outer extension.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:20:57 pm by Byakugan01 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8