Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: A Fishy Contest  (Read 6940 times)

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: A Fishy Contest
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 11:07:33 pm »

How do you determine if a map has fish that spawn in the ocean? I've found a few embark locations that are pretty good but fish don't seem to spawn in the ocean biomes, even after several seasons of waiting.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:20 pm »

'Righty, just checking.

Anyway, I'll probably start a fort for this, assuming I can find magma, sand and an ocean on the same map. Basically, a beach with magma somewhere in there. Shouldn't be too hard. Then I just need to strain the ocean through my aquarium :P

...Why do I have the horrible feeling that this system will backfire and possibly explode?

In regards to this idea, it is incredibly difficult and requires tons of dwarfpower and ingenuity. I tried multiple times. My best suggestion would be to build a two or three tile wide ring suspended in the ocean, then wall it off and construct the walls tall enough to reach one layer above the ocean (to stop stray tides) then fill it with magma and drop the bastard child into the water.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 11:40:33 pm »

Thanks, Flash. One question, though. Was that advice for the in-ocean aquarium idea that I scrapped? Because it seems to be. If I do try this, I'll be using the idea I detailed some time ago, and basically pass the ocean through my indoors aquarium, let the water out, keep fish in, and repeat as necessary for a while.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 12:37:23 am »

I think, for it to be a legit aquarium, you need to have dwarf access. walling off an ocian and proclaming its an aquarium is well, not. now you could have two walled off squares, the inner being the aquarium the other being the viewing hall.

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:24 am »

I think, for it to be a legit aquarium, you need to have dwarf access. walling off an ocian and proclaming its an aquarium is well, not. now you could have two walled off squares, the inner being the aquarium the other being the viewing hall.

Ofcourse. That was never my suggestion - what I meant was more to the effect of having some tunnels through large, walled-in sections of the ocean, like those aquariums you can walk through. Not what I'll be doing, but still.

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 02:21:45 am »

Edit: count me out after all. I'm wasting my time trying to learn how to play Elona  :'(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:56:44 pm by funkytrix »
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 05:53:16 am »

Heh, I'm still in the collection phase...and it seems I loose at least one dorf for at least half the fish I catch. Good thing immigration provides a steady stream of red shirts brave volunteers for the cause. This is totally dwarven though: a truly dwarven seaworld should be far more dangerous than Jurassic Park, only more things can kill you and they're smarter, faster...
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Shadowics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:18 am »

Okay, so, I was thinking of trying this for fun.. but I've never actually embarked by an ocean before (for fear of the tales of salt water)...

So, I've just tried 3 different embarks on the ocean side, and gotten swarmed over and over my Rhesus Macaques, but not a single sea creature of any kind to be found...

This challenge might be tougher than I thought... what's the secret? ???

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 06:21:08 am »

Land creatures will stop ocean ones from appearing it seems (Personal experience). YOU MUST EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

Edit: Oh god, what have I done? I captured a skeletal sea serpent, but the one dwarf I fed to the capturing god lost in the process has tipped everyone over the edge! See, it seems that my dwavres all got chummy with one another, so they were ALL friends...and now my dwarves tantrum near constantly, and they kill each other some times, my broker has gone insane, a legendary miner has also gone insane...

Edit: OH SHIT! My OTHER legendary miner just went psycho!

Edit: Martial law has been imposed. It's THAT BAD. Breachedkeys shall not be repeated...oh great, a fell mood. I gave you guys a masterfully engraved dining hall with some aluminum statues, two artifacts, and masterfully engraved bedrooms-WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEE?!?

Edit: Axe welding psycho got loose, killed several before the army of recuits brought him down...and an orc siege just arrived. WONDERFUL.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:20:40 am by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 08:02:40 am »

Thanks, Flash. One question, though. Was that advice for the in-ocean aquarium idea that I scrapped? Because it seems to be. If I do try this, I'll be using the idea I detailed some time ago, and basically pass the ocean through my indoors aquarium, let the water out, keep fish in, and repeat as necessary for a while.
Ah well as far as my knowledge goes, I don't think the oceans ever freeze. Your best bet would be probably to dig a huge hole in the center of your mountain and then dig multiple channels filled with cage traps then open them to the ocean. (Obviously install a floodgate system so that you can retrieve said traps. Or you could always combine the ideas, make a gigantic block of obsidian in the ocean, mine it out like a "roach hotel" fill it with traps and have that be your method of catching fish. But honestly, I'd go for inside the mountain. It's less likely to turn up fish, but much lower on the impossibility scale.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 10:27:26 am »

Land creatures will stop ocean ones from appearing it seems (Personal experience). YOU MUST EX-TER-MIN-ATE! EX-TER-MIN-ATE!

Edit: Oh god, what have I done? I captured a skeletal sea serpent, but the one dwarf I fed to the capturing god lost in the process has tipped everyone over the edge! See, it seems that my dwavres all got chummy with one another, so they were ALL friends...and now my dwarves tantrum near constantly, and they kill each other some times, my broker has gone insane, a legendary miner has also gone insane...

Edit: OH SHIT! My OTHER legendary miner just went psycho!

Edit: Martial law has been imposed. It's THAT BAD. Breachedkeys shall not be repeated...oh great, a fell mood. I gave you guys a masterfully engraved dining hall with some aluminum statues, two artifacts, and masterfully engraved bedrooms-WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEE?!?

Edit: Axe welding psycho got loose, killed several before the army of recuits brought him down...and an orc siege just arrived. WONDERFUL.

This is getting interesting. ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 04:40:38 pm »

Okay, this is just ridiculous. All three marksdwarves went melancholy, one already threw himself in a lake, and my last functional military dwarf just went berserk, killing the fell mood dwarf (who, incidentally, became legendary after completing a bone mace...) and one other, and now is effectively holding several dwarves hostage at fistpoint. Oh, and I'm pretty sure he's at least proficient in wrestling-and the only dwarf with any military training left standing.

Fortunately, my legendary armor and weaponsmith are not among the number who are dead...yet. All this, from one death. As of now, the sheriff position and fortress guard will be active, and armed with spears. Anyone who throws another goddamn tantrum can tantrum while being skewered, and if I don't have enough spears left over from trading I'll just use the masterpiece iron war hammers. The anarchist revolution stops right here-though if this keeps up, I may put in the following engraving-
*This is a masterful engraving of an elf and a dwarf. The elf is holding out a barrel of sunshine. The dwarf is embracing the elf. This engraving refers to the salvation of Woundsalts the Death of Immortality (name of this fort...bad idea in retrospect) by an elven caravan in the spring of 161.*
Last time they brought me a tame giant scorpion. I'd release it, but as it stands...

Edit: Well, I say it would be under control of the guard-BUT there are four dwarves, total, who do not have a vital skill AND are not bedridden. On the bright side, they should be easy to equip. (I'm loath to get the ones who have minor injuries out of bed, because they are all miserable-and that could easily translate into tantrums. Or worse, berserk dwarves. Breachedkeys, you're looking pretty good now...)

All this, for one skeletal sea serpent. At this rate, wonder what 2 would have gotten me.

Edit: Oops, I'm even WORSE off than I thought! The madman isn't actually a wrestler: he has a goddamn finely crafted iron warhammer. At least he never got to get TOO god with it...but his wrestling training makes up for that. So he's actually holding them at hammerpoint. Hope he dies before the real mad hammerman gets here and decides to train him up. I don't need TWO hammerers!

Edit: Turned "chase" off the armorer and furnace operator, microed them to sneak by. By some miracle, he didn't just splat the furnace guy. A kid's trapped in there, but meh. So no I just forbid everything in the room and hope the dwarves don't have the [DARWIN_AWARD_SEEKER] tag turned on.
And pray to the elf queen that he doesn't decide to visit the sick wing-formerly residences (Praying to armok would result in him manifesting inside the madman, so hopefully his antithesis won't...) I probably could have avoided everything if I just built a prison before...

Edit: What, you want THREE of the things?!? You must be a true dwarf among dwarves-ready to pull the lever to that -clearglass floodgate-even though you are right in front of it, and magma filled with magmamen, burning dragons, firemen, and uber imps is just behind it. W
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:08:23 pm by Byakugan01 »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

So you know, we are listening.  At least I am.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 07:13:24 pm »

Oh god, I can't stop picturing what a skeletal sea serpent would look like as it looms high above you, half-seen behind the thick glass walls that form the only protection between you and painful death, its bones gleaming a dull, angry white in the murky lighting of the subterranean aquarium, its head shrouded in the gore from its most recent meal, it opens its jaws far wider than should be possible and an inaudible roar spills forth from its non existent larynx...
I will never sleep soundly again. I want three.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 08:24:20 pm »

Oh, and it turns out i have *no* booze left in the fort whatsoever. And some did scuffle with the madness, and now three formerly functional dwarves are bedridden (and one is now a wall decoration). So now my vitals do all hauling, except for one gem cutter. Any bets on if I'll last till spring and the siege lifts? No way I can fight them seeing as they've got snipers and all...two squads of nothing but orcish machine guns.

Are first megaprojects always this prone to self destruction?

Edit: Oh lord...even asI type, a thresher is murdering HER OWN CHILD!

Edit: The dungeon master threwhimself in a lake...on a brighter note, the elves have arrived with sunshine, and *multiple* cages of mostly mundane animals like elk and the like. Still, I guess repeatedly offering them really nice armor helped. I can't even count how many bags of sunberry they've brought

EFIT: OH COME ON, YOU HAVE TO BE F***ING KIDDING ME! WHY DID THE TAX COLLECTOR HAVE TO COME NOW?!?

EDIT: Okay, he came with a shitload of migrants. Enough to actually revive the fort to full functionality...sort of. I can make food and restart the wood industry. Glassmaking, most vital for the project, is also back to go. Military, one wrestler migrant. Maddwarf, dead. Hammerer will be given quarter where he'll automaticlly meet sieges one-on-one. Farmers will be repurposed to mining, excess ones anyways, and a mason or two. Peasants will be trained into armorsmiths, mechanics, and glassmakers. The curse of the skeletal sea serpent has been lifted. And just in case...next time something like this happen, it will deal with the counterspell of a trained war scorpion.

Edit: Okay, stockpile time for the fish: one skeletal sea serpent (my pride and joy, and as i see it compensation for an accidentally destroyed great white), one skeletal mako, several skeletal spotted wobegong, several skeletal sturgeon, several skeletal opah, a bunch of skeletal sunfish, a bunch of skeletal angelsharks, a spiny dogfish or two, several pods of skeletal whales, skeletal cod: without number (if you play 40k, you'll get the reference), skeletal bluefish two schools, skeletal nurse sharks 2 or 3, two or three skeletal conger eels, two or three skeletal skates, two or three skeletal swordfish, two or one skeletal marlin, a skeletal halibut, one "fun surprise exhibit" material, and probably some other stuff too, but the stockpile's size does not lend itself well to exact counts.
Land: Black bear, three cougars (two which the elves just brought me), fox, elk, wolves (many) dire wolves (many), one giant desert scorpion, and some groundhogs.

So that's my status report.

I'm thinking a special exhibit for the sea serpent. Probably one lined with the coffins of all the dwarves it killed by killing just one dwarf, maybe with a seaship cast with obsidian and engraved with the carnage. Some of the echibit will be plated with connabar, and is there a red metal i can use?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:17:32 pm by Byakugan01 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8