Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing a modded pocket world  (Read 879 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Playing a modded pocket world
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:59:52 am »

I turned off cliff smoothing, and required ONE high volcanic square on the map, the rest default.

I had to seed 412 worlds to get one to live.

I'm going to try to adventure in it, and build latter.

One Dwarf fort, One human fort, two elf forts.  Humans lost one to elves, and there's a cave with 12 giants.

The megabeast was a hydra in a cave, elves got it, thus the world went 'golden' and ready to be lived in.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:29:49 pm by Nightwind »
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Playing a modded pocket world
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »

I had to seed 412 worlds to get one to live.

Eh....that's impressive. You must be a very patient person... :D

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:58:56 pm »

Random seed, so it made them for me.
But it did keep saying "NOPE, I FAILED, please don't make me try again, please sir, i beg you, mercy"
or some such.

Volcano in a corner, ocean on the right, dwarves live ON the magma....  Humans against the ocean.  Elves are in a forest in the middle.
The giants are in caves in the evil swamps in the bottom half.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:01:49 pm »

This sounds epic.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

It's the smallest possible world, I'm just exploring it in year 17!  Side effect of a very early hydra death... she got caught in the middle of a war between humans and elves and elf'd to death.

My goal is going to be to fight away much of the "evil" and tame the world, then make a serries of small settlements that get abandoned.  This will still generate people and make the world more 'civilized'
GENERATION 28:

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:10:35 pm »

Is there an ocean? if so, a few tiles from the current ocean, dig a series of huge craters (mine out the whole map) and ring it with carved out fortifications. When you have ~20, dig a channel to it from the ocean and go there in adventure mode.

NEW OCEAN!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »

It's tempting.

I'm wandering around the mountain home trying to figure out why it was built like this.

It's got to be hardcoded by toady himself to look this way, large ramps instead of stairs...  but an entire ring of stairs with open air at the top...

I find myself trying to think things like "if I took out one elf village with a massive cave in in fort mode" ... would that be enough to stop them from destroying the last few humans...

It's about 35 people away from belonging to a tribe of giants.

And the mountainhome is the ONLY magma on the entire map.
GENERATION 28:

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 02:18:06 am »

It's tempting.

I'm wandering around the mountain home trying to figure out why it was built like this.

It's got to be hardcoded by toady himself to look this way, large ramps instead of stairs...  but an entire ring of stairs with open air at the top...

I find myself trying to think things like "if I took out one elf village with a massive cave in in fort mode" ... would that be enough to stop them from destroying the last few humans...

It's about 35 people away from belonging to a tribe of giants.

And the mountainhome is the ONLY magma on the entire map.

That's pretty cool. I like the idea of being able to actually affect world events with your actions, rather than just using it as your sandbox.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:51:50 am »

We should set up a kind of succession pocket world. Rather than take over a fortress, each player builds a new fortress on the map until every world site has a fortress on it. That'd make an awfully interesting world to explore.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:11 am »

We should set up a kind of succession pocket world. Rather than take over a fortress, each player builds a new fortress on the map until every world site has a fortress on it. That'd make an awfully interesting world to explore.

I'm in. Bonus points for giving your fort secrets and Zelda-style puzzles for the adventurer to unlock.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 02:58:31 am »

I'm in. Bonus points for giving your fort secrets and Zelda-style puzzles for the adventurer to unlock.
One day, I want pushable blocks that set off pressure-plates.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 03:02:49 am »

Thinking about it a bit more, it'd take ages to fill up. I'll save the idea for the new version. Maybe Toady will have some new things to leave for adventurers, and the underground features would be extra cool for something like this.