Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does stone has BLOCK and DAMAGE %?  (Read 900 times)

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does stone has BLOCK and DAMAGE %?
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:46:08 am »

Is it possible to set block and damage values for stone?

I'm thinking about replacing stone sword with a stone axe which is more historical and adding flint as a SHARP stone. However this will be a cheat if stone weapons damage is fixed at 133%.

Has anyone run such a check?
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Does stone has BLOCK and DAMAGE %?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:21:50 am »

If you put in those tags in a stone entry and something pops up in the error log, it's not a valid stone tag.

EDIT: just tried it, doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:24:31 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:26:54 am »

It's hard-coded for now.

If you want to dive into a stone age, you can inscrease all metal block and damage values instead of decreasing stone ones, however it will lead to much bigger importance of the armor (and incredible metal artifacts).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:28:26 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:53:17 am »

That won't do, the side effects will cripple the game IMHO.

So it seems I'll have to either settle with obsidian as the sole source of stone weapons, or add special weapons that can only be made out of stone and nerf their damage to compensate the fixed parameters (though obisidian weapons will also suck as the result).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:58:12 am by Lav »
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:12:35 pm »

Well, the low-damage weapons are also feasible. Besides that, I don't see better solutions.
Actually, it's not that bad, since obsidian in fact is glass, so it can't be as good as steel.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:56:29 pm »

Obsidian is technically glass, but that doesn't mean it should be worse than steel; it can fracture into shards with edges almost as thin as a single molecule, and it's used for surgical scalpels that Wikipedia claims are "many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels."

That being said, it also dulls easily and probably shouldn't last very long (which is actually in the dev pages, if I remember correctly).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:12:39 pm »

The problem with it is that it dulls. And if you think about scalpels, think diamonds.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »

You don't need to rely purely on [SHARP] for stone age weapons: You can also use smelter reactions to create any weapon (or, indeed, item) out of any stone you wish. Normally, if you just make them literally out of stone, the items will have a 50% block/damage rate which is hardcoded, and will not have quality modifiers.

However.

You could get sneaky. Make metals with exactly the same in-game name as the stone. Now, set up reactions in the smelter to convert piles of stone into stone bars. This will allow you to create stone weapons with whatever damage/block % you want! While *technically* they'll be a metal, there is no functional difference in the game world (and they will appear as 'flint short sword' or whatever). Too easy!

Finally: If remove all the standard metal reactions and alloys, and possibly replace them with highly complicated and difficult reactions (as well as limiting the ability of miners to find the right ores, maybe making only native veins produce useable ore, and putting [DEEP] on metal tags so normal civs never use them) you could have a very rare and limited metal forging capability.

*edit*

just realised you weren't making a full stone age mod. Disregard last bit, the first parts are still just as valid =).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:10:57 pm by Blakmane »

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:16:42 am »

Yeah, stone age mod is another thread, I'm just trying to implement some flexibility for my own mod.

Making fake-stone as metal won't work though. It will be hard to explain why you need coal or magma to process flint. :-)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:30:18 am »

Yeah, stone age mod is another thread, I'm just trying to implement some flexibility for my own mod.

Making fake-stone as metal won't work though. It will be hard to explain why you need coal or magma to process flint. :-)

No method is perfect, you are going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

If you make stone items via the smelter they don't require magma or coal.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 05:32:35 am »

You can remove the [FUEL] tag from the reaction and then it won't need either.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:34:50 am »

Well, if I follow this path then I might as well make every other reaction into the smelter as well. And play with an entire fortress of legendary furnace operators. :-)

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:28 am »

Well, if I follow this path then I might as well make every other reaction into the smelter as well. And play with an entire fortress of legendary furnace operators. :-)

??? You were asking about how to make stone weapons without 133% dam/block. Those are the only two ways. If you are going to be rude I won't bother helping  :-\

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:01:30 am »

I don't think it was rude. In fact I think it would be fun to stuff the entire (or at least most of) DF production tree into Smelter. :-)

Just imagine. Dwarves smelting seeds into plants and plants into cooked food. Dwarves smelting stone into stonecrafts. Dwarves smelting skulls into skull totems. Dwarves smelting wood into buckets...

Leave planting and cooking to lesser races, like humans and elves. We dwarves should be able to smelt our food.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:53:47 am by Lav »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:49 am »

It makes no sense because it doesn't have any *quality* output.

However you've got a clear answer HOW to mod in in the modding forum.

Now you say that you DON'T want to do what you asked for... So it means you fooled a person who answered. It's not rude, but not nice either.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2