Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rare moments of decency  (Read 3188 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rare moments of decency
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:30 am »

So we've all slaughtered the occasional noble or sent dwarves to theirs inevitable fiery deaths but how about shedding some light on something decent you did for your dwarves.

My best is family tombs for every one of my dwarven families.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Rare moments of decency
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:05 am »

I gave my dwarves a season off.
Not that it matters, they wouldn't stop partying in my legendary dining room with one table anyway.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:58 am »

I never send a miner to his doom tapping a magma pipe. I always rig it so the miner is never in danger.

I make sure that broken-spine bedridden dwarf will survive, because he has a wife and children.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:11:27 am »

I build anti-Hammerer devices.  For the good of the fort.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:24:26 am »

I never send a miner to his doom tapping a magma pipe. I always rig it so the miner is never in danger.

I had one dwarf crippled due to my bad planning. He was lying there in a bed, unconscious all the time. He didn't have any relatives or even friends. And still he was keeped well fed and cared of.

Did I do it because I felt sorry? NO!!! Because he was sentenced to beatings, and nooone would beat him, while he is crippled! I LOVED him for his ability to piss off the tax collector!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:24:53 am »

Every dwarf gets a 2x3 smoothed bedroom, exceptional obsidian door, cabinet, coffer, and exceptional bed.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:26:54 am »

Every dwarf gets a 2x3 smoothed bedroom, exceptional obsidian door, cabinet, coffer, and exceptional bed.

I have my engravers build up their engraving skill by smoothing and engraving all the housing. It's a win-win situation; they get to ledgendary engraving really quick, and my dwarfs are deleriously happy from their awesome rooms.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:25:58 am »

my dwarfs all have a royal tomb.

and they need them.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:15:21 am »

I allow smart, reasonable nobles to exist. So long as I can make the random items they demand "Urist McDuke mandates the construction of 4 greaves" Ok, cool, that is a reasonable sounding one. He wants his soldiers to have heavier armor. Demands craft goods is ok too.

I allow the Hammerer to live, but I ensure I find some way to get him/her wounded, and hopefully crippled. So long as he has a severed spine, and gets fed and watered, Mountainhome won't send a new one.

One engineering feat I love to under take is the internal heating system for any forts set in cold areas. Put magma underneath all my rooms, and around the walls. It really should be modded that dwarves get happy thoughts for climate and warmth.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:15:09 am »

I build a curtain wall to stop my dwarves getting goblined.

I make sure there's a nice variety of high-quality food available and cooked.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:57:31 am »

well I killed the potash maker cause he adopted a cat I wanted to butcher then I killed the hammerer cause he's the hammerer, and then I killed the Tax collector cause I just felt like it.

Edit: oh decent things, well I make a large public dining rooms and tomb for them but that's basically it
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:00:57 am by Teferi »
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:33 am »

I give every melee military resident a tile of precious metal flooring in their tomb per notable kill.  And rig the tomb up with a magma flooding mechanism so that the tomb may never be robbed.

During the lever pulling ceremony of a particularly heroic dwarf I had all members of the military stand in formation above the tomb in the observation area as an honor guard until the room filled with magma.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:43:11 am »

I never assign a barracks for nonmilitary dwarves, everyone gets a room

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:36:24 pm »

"Lever-pulling ceremony"? Was that tomb in the process of being robbed?

For me, it would have to be giving each dwarf an two-person booth in my grand resturant (a varaint of the dining hall I decided to give a go-still WIP)-master piece and exceptional enrgaving, and when I get back to that fort i will complete the picture by making gem windows out of diamonds, garnets and opals for the booths. Also, engraving the catacombs for the regular dwarves with my two legendary engravers in the same fort.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 04:56:47 pm »

"Rare"? Compared to the status quo around here, I'm always decent... I always give the peons good rooms and eats, and good booze and water, and protection via a military and NOT traps (but, honestly? Traps are for elves! Fighting is for DWARVES!)... I'm like a crazy cat lady, but for dwarves... :'(
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.
Pages: [1] 2 3