Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rare moments of decency  (Read 3183 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rare moments of decency
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »

When someone doesn't like helping the injured, I don't make them. THAT'S ABOUT ALL!
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:40 pm »

On top of the basic things like good food, drink and rooms, I like making ridiculously expensive public works projects. For example, this well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or this door, which is one of six leading out of the entrance hall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granted, this more a case of my own narcissism than any real decency, but my dwarves are happy about it nonetheless. Really, really happy. All the time. They scare me.

It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:02:27 pm »

Well, I rescue every wounded dwarf that owns no purple clothing.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 08:07:55 pm »

"Rare"? Compared to the status quo around here, I'm always decent...

Same. I always build my dwarves beds, tables and chairs as soon as I get underground. I start off, in the first year, by building quick bedrooms in the topsoil. Then after I get down a bit I smooth and engrave their stone bedrooms and dissasemble the really good furniture and build better furniture and place it in their rooms.
I never put my dwarves in danger intentionally.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »

I have one of my fortresses almost fully engraved (even peasant rooms are damn-near royalty; masterwork engravings all the way). I only have selective engravings where it would look pretty (patterns and pathways), a fancy library, and of course, one hell of a dining hall in a fractal pattern fully engraved with statues looking down and windows looking into this pleasant hall. Right next to it are 2 legendary drinking halls (8 masterwork wells apiece) on either side and an easy inflow of lavish food and drink with a complete selection rivaling any other city/civ. Did I forget to mention the amazing sewer system that keeps this well-oiled machine running?

...(Un)fortunately, I lack the more pain-in-the-ass nobles (duke/duchess and above) and king. But you know what? My dwarves are happy despite population losses to sieges.

Speaking of which, every failed siege is engraved in the deathtrap pipeline for invaders. And to top it all off, I have a bear guarding the very end if (by miracle) anyone gets past the defensive grid.

The value is enormous, sieges usually consist of at least 2 large squads and 1 or 2 legends which make for exquisite decor, either on display or going splat in front of the front door. Despite a lack of magma, my dwarves are pretty spoiled. I even gave my farmers/butchers/brewers/chefs a season-long vacation just to maintain food storage. They can go on for another season still. :P

...I need a megabeast.

...for decoration.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:06:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 09:31:46 pm »

I almost always have a "hospital", which generally involves a white or gray floor with a red cross on the floor and a well in the center; with a bucket stockpile off to one side. This design will have to change with the new version, but at least it'll not have Fodder Force troops annoying the wounded by sleeping there.

I provide tombs, usually 3x3, for all Army personnel. Note, the Fodder Force is not considered "Army" but a separate, civilian branch that exists because I don't like dealing with large numbers of non-military dwarves, and am too cheap to properly train and equip the entire recruited lot.

Civilian get their own tombs regardless, usually in a special Catacomb area. While each founder, Army soldier, and artifact maker get their own tombs, the Fodder Force and civilians get a coffin in a alcove along the halls connecting the various tombs with the fortress. 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 09:46:24 pm »

You know Dwarf Fortress is corrupting you when most of the replies to the rare moments of decency thread are about megaprojects, keeping peons alive not to keep them alive but to keep them working and basic fortress necessities you need to make anyway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:19:23 am »

Hmm, I tolerate my dungeon master, and even make him some nice quarters. Though its mostelly to piss off my other nobles who refuse to do usefull work, so whether its decent, is questionable ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:41 am »

My Duchess and consort actually helped with filling up the perpetual motion machines. Well, not going to stop me from building an execution device.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:21 am »

"Lever-pulling ceremony"? Was that tomb in the process of being robbed?

Its the final part of the burial.  Once buried the room is flooded by magma.  The lever pulling ceremony is when the lever is pulled that opens the floodgate that magmas the room. The floodgate is intentionally made of non magma safe materiel.  Protecting it from grave robbers forever.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:16 pm »

decency? well, there are times when i decide to NOT piss off the humans/elves/etc. until my fortress is well off enough to actually defend itself.

Oh, and sometimes instead of putting them out of their misery, i have permanently wounded dwarfs serve in the Fortress Guard

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »

Decency?
Well, I suppose my fortress has a vault for the Seven to escape to if I decide to seal off the airlocks and leave the peons to die.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »

Now I feel like a benevolent god to my dwarves...

All dwarves have personal 3x1 or 3x1 + 1 engraved rooms. The places where I had to mine them out to follow veins are re-walled with blocks rather than raw stone.

I've kept the economy off, so they all have whatever food and clothing they desire. Brewer, cook, weaver, dyer, and clothsmaker are all approaching legendary.

Not counting military babies, I've only had one civilian death, to an ambush. All dwarves are given proper burials. All military dwarves are given full armor and trained responsibly.

My Duchess and her consort have been given doors of their favorite metals (gold and aluminum). Queen/Queen consort don't have preferences pages, so not much I can do there.

All mandates fulfilled thus far, no noble execution devices built or planned.

It's like I'm running Communist Dwarf Heaven or something!
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:24 pm »

Um, yeah, decency . . . um, I've  kinda been playing the Dark Dwarves mod recently, so . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:22 pm »

Umm... Decency... I am still learning, so I go over the top at preventing a tantrum spiral.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2] 3