Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Major river?!  (Read 13728 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Major river?!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »

This calls for needlessly huge megaprojects.

How deep is the river down? 9-z's?  Definetely big enough for a fortress.  Make it flat on top.  And shaped like a giant pyramid.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:21 pm »

9 z-levels if you count down to the surface of the river, I think. So yeah, this is awesome.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »

had to stop worldgen early since it was locking up... found the site, Rhesus stole the wheels right off my wagon! but the major river seems eerily empty, though I can see vermin fish in the minor river.  Because I don't really know what to do til I get immigrants, I think it best to just start by paving the river with water wheels.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »

I love doing that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »

hmm... based on the rate of the evaperation in that murky pool we can see in the distance, it looks like... I might run low on water... especially in the summer.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »

Totally sweet. I want to build outside, all along the cliff walls, a la the remake of Time Machine. Wow, terrible movie.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:23 pm »

One of the few where the original was bad enough to make the remake look good... but only in comparison.  (And I liked the original, if in a corny "bad sci-fi movie" sort of way.)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 02:51:26 am »

I was thinking about starting a succession game a bit back, and gen'd a series of maps with major rivers using the map painter.  Some of the rejects have some sites with some pretty awesome waterfalls.  One (4x4) has two rivers meet in a six-z-level water fall, then together plunge into the major river in a 30 level waterfall. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The same world also has another two 49 level waterfalls going into the 47-tile wide river, nearly directly across from one another. 
Sadly, besides the waterfalls, the cliffs, sand and some precious metals (including iron but not flux) there's nothing too interesting on either site.

Because I used the world painter the world seed is too big to post.  I do have it though.

Didn't think there's be any interest in these (nor the succession game I was thinking about) due to FPS...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:27:36 pm by nil »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 02:54:08 am »

Unless your computer has BALLS OF STEEL like mine and can happily process an artificial 75 z level waterfall and the pumps powering it and still run at just under 50 fps.

Interesting though, i think a 50 z level waterfall is a bit much, i rarely need to exploit more than 15 - 20 z levels, any more are usually pointless.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 03:30:55 am »

My last fort was on a waterfall map but the river was slowly rising and turning my map into and almost island :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 12:27:53 pm »

Here is another good major river site i gen'd in my spare time. To non major rivers meet to form a major river. Either way a 10 z level water fall is created. The site also has iron, bauxite, and sand i think. No magma sorry...

heres the info
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:29:25 pm by Lord_Shadow »
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 12:39:45 pm »

My last fort was on a waterfall map but the river was slowly rising and turning my map into and almost island :(
That sounds awesome, like a great place for a challenge.  Do you think the water levels would have become relative stable or was it looking like a permanent FPS killer?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 02:13:43 pm »

ok, i see this thread has gotten interesting....however...this site still hold the most tiles from one side to the other because of the two waterfalls at the same place

btw...i do play df with 1920 X 1080 resolution
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 05:31:59 pm »

ok, i see this thread has gotten interesting....however...this site still hold the most tiles from one side to the other because of the two waterfalls at the same place

btw...i do play df with 1920 X 1080 resolution
How wide is that?  It makes my eyes hurt to try and count the jpeg

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:13:55 pm »

the areas that are not with the waterfall is 35, with either waterfall strait up or down is 40
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 [2]